Author Topic: Kaff's XBR (now sold to.... "don't worry, I've got this covered!" - ylisuuta  (Read 19260 times)

guest1130

Re: Kaff's XBR
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2010, 07:32:05 AM »
Hi Kaff, if you can find out the dimensions for the "offending" bush, I may be able to make one out of some nylon I have lying around. PM me
I appreciate the offer, Ian, but I think I'll be able to do one myself. I was even pondering, would it be better to make both bushings out of brass instead of nylon?

guest1130

« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2010, 05:03:42 PM »
Not much of an update, but today I managed to make a new bushing to replace the one I broke and also sandblasted the lower yoke. I couldn't get the lower ball race off the yoke, so I had to cover it using duct tape.

I also got the ignition switch off the top yoke for a thorough cleaning for both parts. Also, the rear fork is pretty much done and re-united with the frame:

"I like my bikes like I like my dogs, black, fast and hungry"

el vencejo

« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2010, 09:51:58 PM »

I'm a cat lover: like my bikes lean and mean with a bad attitude   8)

Mark

« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2010, 05:53:32 AM »

Feck, I wish I wasn't a donkey lover.

Mark
There exists a set of people who believe 2>4

guest1130

« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2010, 08:22:54 PM »
Not much has happened this weekend, and to be honest, it's kinda bugging me.. As I'm building this bike in my apartment, I look at it all the time, and I hate when there's no progress.

The reason there's no progress is that I can't paint here. The other reason is that I have a crazy idea about what to do with all the alloy parts, but I can't make that happen just yet.

Anyways, here's one forkleg disassemblied. Someone has previously been here, since the oil seal had been shredded with snapring pliers, and the snapring was missing. The copper bushing showed copper from each side, hence according to the manual, it's time for a change. I still think the bushing is good to go, I'll just replace the oilseals and the dustseals.

Does anyone have an opinion about WeMoto.com? I was thinking about ordering the seals from there.

Fuzz

« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2010, 10:10:40 PM »
Wemoto are OK....
I fitted a set of Ariete seals last week on an XBR500 in work , & I found them to be FAR superior..

I FULLY recommend this make...
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400152539701&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

guest1130

« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2010, 10:03:44 PM »
I measured the left fork tube for straightness and it checked out. 0.045 mm bend, which is still way within the service limit of 0.2 mm. I also cleaned the chain, since I'm not going to replace it nor the sprockets.

And here's a nice little tool me and a friend at school made; it's a socket for tightening the steering bearings to their correct torque. It might be a bit too robust for such small amount of torque, but it'll do the job.

el vencejo

« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2010, 02:53:55 PM »
Did U check the bottom yoke? Soft steel, mine was bent (SLR650)

Whats the plan with the fork sliders... polish or paint?

I tried paint. Alloy polishing is easier and lasts longer. :)

Last incarnation of my bike was satin black and silver.
Next will be gloss black and polished bare metals, partly 'cos of low maintenace.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 02:57:04 PM by el vencejo »

guest1130

« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2010, 07:58:44 PM »
Did U check the bottom yoke? Soft steel, mine was bent (SLR650)

Whats the plan with the fork sliders... polish or paint?

I tried paint. Alloy polishing is easier and lasts longer. :)
The bottom yoke looked ok, I didn't make exact measurements, but compared it to the top yoke and all holes were more or less on the same locations :D

as for the fork sliders, I think I'll polish them - for now ;) .

guest987

« Reply #54 on: October 12, 2010, 07:15:41 PM »

Feck, I wish I wasn't a donkey lover.Mark

A big part of this Mark is taking that first step. Now you are no longer in denial, this can be improved.

Very brave, well done.

Rub.

guest1130

« Reply #55 on: November 04, 2010, 09:01:29 AM »
I just came by to let you guys know that I'm not dead and neither is the XBR project. I've been busy with school and life in general for the past month so not much done to the bike. And frankly, I've had a bit of a motivation problem with the build, since I've now started to work on the alloy parts and we all know how fun polishing alloy is.
I also recieved my new fork oilseals from wemoto along with some other parts, so the fork assembly is a go as soon as all the alloy parts look nice.

Some update: got the headrace bearings in place:

And here's the top yoke done. I know it's not totally mirror, but close enough.

guest1130

« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2011, 07:42:58 PM »
Hey guys, it's been a while.

First off - tho I havent posted in a loooong time, the project is still on. I've been busy with my studies for the last few weeks and fell into a deep demotivational bender with the bike. But now I'm starting to pick it up again (don't hold your breath, it's still going to progress slowly).

I needed to take the front end back off, because I couldn't help but look at it and think to myself "somethings definately wrong", and something was. It appears both my yokes are a bit twisted, hence forcing the wheel to steer right. As they are alloy and soft cast iron - there's just no way to make them 100% straight once bent. So I did the next best thing. I twisted them back "straitish" by hand. Tho I'm sure they arent 100% straight, theyre close and I'm going to roll with this and see how the bike steers. If the steering is still sh*t, then I'll find replacements for them.

Here's a pic of some freshly blasted/polished 25 year old parts:

The fork braces and the rear sprocket will be painted black using just plain aerosole. The front disk will get some heat resistant black on it. The polished fork tube is a disaster - I don't like the look and hence didn't bother being too picky with the end result, but now I need to polish the other one too. I might end up painting them next year. The headlight brackets turned out beautiful - I shortened them about 20-30mm to get the headlight tucked a bit more closer to the forks and also drilled holes for the LED front blinkers.

It feels good to be working with the bike again - hopefully I'll get a bit more done this spring. To be continued.

guest1130

« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2011, 07:47:12 PM »
So.. only a day has passed since my new found inspiration and boy has that day been dark.

First: The top yoke is cracked. It didn't handle my attempts to try to straighten it. I've already posted a wanted add for it.

Second: I tried to re-assembly my left fork. I couldn't get the oil seal to settle properly (or rather the bushing under it), so I decided to take it apart once more. So I start undoing the bottom bolt which is attached to the piston and the bolt starts turning and turning, but didn't come undone... it turns out the piston is turning with the bolt. No matter how hard I put pressure on the spring to get the piston "stuck" so the bolt would come off, I've had zero luck... so the freshly polished fork leg might have become a pretty accessory to my garage..

If all else fails... I'll drill it out and try to find a replacement...

Steve H

« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2011, 10:08:40 PM »
An old trick is to jam a broom handle down the inside if the leg to stop the damper tube turning. The SRX has a hexagonal  recess on the damper rod, which can used to stop it turning, does the XBR have anything similiar ?.

guest1130

« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2011, 11:38:55 PM »
The SRX has a hexagonal  recess on the damper rod, which can used to stop it turning, does the XBR have anything similiar ?.
Negative. It's round.