Author Topic: fuelling problem??  (Read 7229 times)

themoudie

Re: fuelling problem??
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2007, 11:25:23 PM »
Aye damo,

I've been doing a bit of digging (it's my job!).

You said in your initial mail when you joined this site you had an "SR500 1980 imported from SA", correct?

This would be an SR500 1979 - 1983 Model (2J4), according to the Weemoto site [http://shop.wemoto.com/index.dyn]

What I didn't realise was that the 'Old Warhorse' if it is still standard should run a set of points, condenser and ignition coil. Have you got this model and do you have these bits fitted?

If this is the case then a condenser from Halfords or your local friendly garage (~£5-00) may prove to be the problem and should be easily replaced. A clean up and adjustment of the points until you can get a new set would also not go amiss. These goodies are in stock at Weemoto as I have just checked their site. They are good and quick, as I get bits for the BROS from them.

Please let us know, I might be talking ball cocks if an after market ignition set up has been fitted.

Hope this helps, Bill

boze

« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2007, 05:03:10 AM »
yes its completely factory original, so i can get a condenser from halfords? is that the same as the cdi?

sorry for the confusion but where exactly is the condenser?

i reckon ive got points, think ive seen em at some point lol!

and ive bought a few things off wemoto too, great stuff!! so basically what exactly do i go into halfords or a garage and ask for?

damo

pigafetta

« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2007, 09:46:53 AM »
Damo

The condenser is a little cylindrical thing attached somewhere between your points and your coil. You shouldn't have any bother getting hold of points and a condenser for your SR500. They're pretty cheap too.

Dave B

beeman

« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2007, 10:27:19 AM »
I've just remembered lawn mower runs for a while cuts a 1/4 of the lawn then dies, and wont start till its cold, it has no relation to the throttle setting of the mower. Put it away last year intending to put new condensor in it as I have already rebuilt the carb to get rid of cr*p. Bu**er lawn now needs cutting and mower needs fixing.

It don't half sound familiar boze. If it is the condensor at least it is probably the cheapest thing to fix on the SR.

Good luck

beeman

Ps Can you tell I'm bored and can't go out to play, due to needing the proximity of WC
We all get Heavier as we get Older because there is a lot more information in our heads

boze

« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2007, 05:40:28 PM »
Damo

The condenser is a little cylindrical thing attached somewhere between your points and your coil. You shouldn't have any bother getting hold of points and a condenser for your SR500. They're pretty cheap too.

Dave B

would that be the coil in the cdi or is that the coil inside the engine?

also i remembered that fuel comes out of the overflow pipe on the carb quite often, its been happening since before the problems im having now so i dont know if its related...

damo

Steve H

« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2007, 06:15:47 PM »
also i remembered that fuel comes out of the overflow pipe on the carb quite often, its been happening since before the problems im having now so i dont know if its related...

Thats not going to help matters, not convinced it could kill the engine but you could be flooding the engine, does the bike smell of petrol after its stopped on you ?

boze

« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2007, 06:46:32 PM »
Thats not going to help matters, not convinced it could kill the engine but you could be flooding the engine, does the bike smell of petrol after its stopped on you ?

not really, it only ever really happens if im kicking her and she aint starting or if shes sitting idling for ages.

damo

themoudie

« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2007, 07:17:19 PM »
Aye damo,

Your going to have to get the 'Manual' out, you said you had one!

Condenser will either sit beside the ignition coil under the petrol tank or next to the points beneath a cover on the side of the motor. 'Electrical System' 'Ignition' is the bit you need to look at.

Weemoto have the individual parts listed with images on the parts list specific to the SR500 79-83 (2J4), so you can see what they look like. Total cost about £12-00 inc P&P.

As for the 'piddling' from the carb, with three diaphrams and at least two needles there are plenty of options for a little perished rubber to stop you playing! ;-) It would sound as though either the float needle or float in the carb are sticking or worn and not sealing properly, when there is a lack of demand for petrol from the tank. Hence the flooding. To see a full repair kit for the carb go here [Ebay: 300098717363].

Finally another possible is that the insulation on a coil within the alternator is breaking down and shorting to earth once hot. Whilst it is a b***** it is not insurmountable and a re-wound and insulated stator (techy term, its the bit with all the alternator coils mounted on it) would cure this. It would involve a strip down of the side of the motor, not a crankcase splitting scenario!

With the SR500, think Japanese BSA B33! They aren't bad and with a production run from 1974 - 2000 spares aren't difficult even if you have to go to Germany (they luv them) for the bits.

Persevere my friend.

Regards, Bill

guest27

« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2007, 08:24:23 PM »
Is this points or CDI?  I thought we had a black box on the fram about the size of a fag packet - Nippondenso with a part number starting 70000, in which case there will not be a condenser? - If there are points and a condenser there will not be a pulser coil and a CDI?

Which do we have anyone - all the wiring diags for a SR I have seen are CDI units

R

themoudie

« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2007, 08:50:22 PM »
Aye Rog,

From date of manufacture 1980 and a personal import from SA to boot, go to Weemoto and select those details gives Model 2J4. Lists points etc in spares list for this model.

Damo has Haynes manual I believe, so should be able to locate model number and other relevant 'techy data bitties' and where on machine these things are located.

All we can do is stand back and see what the messenger brings.

Bit like flying a ROV over a wellhead when the lights go out or the camera goes 'blink'! What wellhead? Are you sure? Beam me up Scotty!!!

See, lost the plot again. Need a dram afore 'Shut down'! ;-)

Will damo find a condensor or a 'black box'? Ring William Hill! Beats all soaps into a cocked hat.

Ta ra, Bill

boze

« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2007, 09:34:43 PM »
righty, pictures a gogo:

this sucker is what i think is the CDI, wires from the alternator go into it and the ht lead comes out.

and this is a pic of the electrics page in the manual....

are we sure now it isnt the carb? just so i can rule it out in ma head....

best regards

damo

guest27

« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2007, 10:36:09 PM »
Hi Damo -

The pic is the coil - HT coil - what makes the spark plug spark.

The relevent bit from the manual suggests CDI

I have a nippondenso CDI from sommat else loose in the shed - I will put a pic of it up tomorrow and a set of points if that helps.

Sure it is not the carb - no, but we do seem to have hammered that one - I am a little worried about this flooding of the carb - but that may be something totally different.

R

pigafetta

« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2007, 10:43:32 PM »
Hey Damo

That looks like an ignition coil to me. If that is connected directly to the alternator then you have a CDI. No points or condenser.

Does this look like your setup? Its from a 1980 SR500G

The CDI unit is part no. 1 in the image. I'm not really helping, am I.

I'll get my coat...

Dave B

boze

« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2007, 03:52:43 PM »
this here is my ignition setup:

and this is the ignition coil:

it says in the manual that "..the sr500 is equipped with a fully transistorized ignition system. This solid state system, unlike conventional ignition systems, does not use breaker points..."

so where does that leave us? ive got instructions here as to how to test the ignition coil, but if it was b***ered then surely it wouldnt even start? or are we thinking along the lines of a loose wire? a loose wire is gonna be hard to find as you can see in the picture the wiring is rather manky :(

damo

ps. im going to buy one of those complete carb rebuild kits on friday when i get paid just so i can 100% rule out the carb.

::EDIT:: is this too good to be true? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=004&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=140098719925&rd=1&rd=1 theyre normally about 40 quid...
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 04:57:16 PM by boze »

guest27

« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2007, 04:37:07 PM »
Hi Damo

Yup that pic is of an ignition coil, and it is a CDI suited coil - says so on the side - so somewhere you should have something that looks a little like

You should not have one of there anywhere (points)

But if you have you will have a CDI suited coil fitted to a points ignition - which is not a problem, and you should have a condenser some where - it is the little cylinder on the end of this coil, often they are in with the points.

Hope this helps.

As to the coil not working - sometimes they work fine for a while and then the insulation inside them breaks down as they heat up etc.  Hence no problems when the engine is cold but then when it gets hot - phut

R