Author Topic: fuelling problem??  (Read 7196 times)

guest27

Re: fuelling problem??
« Reply #60 on: April 11, 2007, 08:27:30 PM »
Back to the CDI question - yup that pic is the CDI.  The pic you put up is the coil - it says CDI on the side because it is a coil suited to CDI.

As for the pint - I think we should be buying for you - we have yet to sort the problem...

Best wishes

R

themoudie

« Reply #61 on: April 11, 2007, 10:11:31 PM »
Aye Rog and damo,

Sorry for having thrown the points, condenser, red herring into the ring! BLUSH!

Pleased to see that it is CDI as originaly described.

I hope the dogged persistance resolves this 'War & Peace' saga.

All the best, Bill

guest27

« Reply #62 on: April 11, 2007, 11:32:45 PM »
Hey Bill - where abouts are you - my neice is coming up to the Mull later this month for a Uni dig and I want to know if she needs armour to protect against midges yet?

R

boze

« Reply #63 on: April 12, 2007, 04:52:17 AM »
they arent out yet where i am, south west of glasgow in a town called largs...we get it quite bad too!!

damo

boze

« Reply #64 on: April 14, 2007, 10:17:09 AM »
right, i got me a strobe....

ill let you all know the outcome this afternoon....

damo

boze

« Reply #65 on: April 15, 2007, 04:10:14 PM »
ok, today was a very strange day....

i got a strobe from my mate the other day and went round to work on the bike today. i hooked up the strobe etc and when she started spluttering the strobe was also cutting in and out so i thought "right, it must be an electrical fault" so i went to annoy the (nearly)father in law for a multimeter and set about the electrics disconnecting things and reconnecting them in a sort of "of course i know what im doing" way.

once i had "worked" on the electrics i started her up expecting yet another quick death but wait? why isnt she dying? is she toying with me? this isnt fair! dont play with my emotions! she sat and ran fine for 15 minutes so, and it might have been the exhaust fumes in the garage clouding my judgement, i decided to take her out for a run....

shes kept in a garage at the bottom of a big hill so i thought id take her up and down the hill, so if she dies there no drama involved in the push home, and shes running sweet as a nut!!! not even a little blip or falter whatsoever!! i was running her for about 30 minutes up and down the hill, around the block, getting through the gears, revving her right up etc!!

the problem is that im now afraid to take her on the 1hour ride to work incase she breaks down as i have absolutely no idea what i did to fix her and it may be an intermittent thing thats gonna crop up again! id rather have found out the exact problem and had to spend £100 to fix her than have this on my hands!

i reckon ill join the AA, get the train to work tomorrow then take her out a big run tomorrow after work to see what happens....but i dont know if i can rely on her now as ive lost my faith in her :(

any other ideas?

damo

guest18

« Reply #66 on: April 15, 2007, 04:21:46 PM »
Bad contact, I'll bet you a beer ;) You've taken off leads and re-fitted them properly, a formerly intermittent bad connection is now connected...
Were I in your shoes I'd get that AA card and ride it. If you are worried, or the symptoms present again then take all the leads off one by one and give them a good clean up and refit making sure they are snug clean and secure...

All imho of course!!

pigafetta

« Reply #67 on: April 15, 2007, 06:22:12 PM »
Things like crimps and bullet connectors are a right pain once they start getting a bit old and oxidising. You get intermittent faults all over the place. Cutting the connectors off and soldering the wires up works well. I've just been through all that on my CD175. If you dont want to solder, just spendan afternoon with a bit of emery cloth getting all your connectors nice and clean.
It sounds like you've got to the bottom of it though. AA card sounds like a top idea. I should probably do that too.

Dave B

guest27

« Reply #68 on: April 15, 2007, 08:01:27 PM »
And a good dose of WD40 over the lot - or vaseline on all the connectors once they are pushed together - helps keep oiuyt the damp and corrosion.

Damo, whilst I would love to know what was wrong I am really hoping that this is problem solved, that you have a far better understanding of the intimate nature of your two wheeled lady, and that the love affair will burn anew - mind if itr does the two legged lady friend may complaining about the relative priorities of the love affairs.

R

boze

« Reply #69 on: April 15, 2007, 08:12:54 PM »
haha, im gona go a big run tomorrow and see what happens (after i join the aa).

my missus has started badgering me to sell her now shes running because shes "not reliable enough for you to commute on".

shes really not letting this one drop, i have the fear......

damo

guest18

« Reply #70 on: April 15, 2007, 08:55:07 PM »
Tell her 50mpg and classic insurance = more cash for her and the house. Reliable will come cheap once she's running right, commuting by bike = shorter journey times so more time to spend with her, more pleasant commute = happier Damo = nicer to swmbo... ;)

no......?

GB500nz

contact cleaner
« Reply #71 on: April 16, 2007, 10:10:49 AM »
I use CRC Marine 6-66 on all my contacts and no more problems. Soldered connectors will corrode away quickly (I've done that!). If there's salt in the water anywhere nearby, you need marine-grade contact cleaner.

pigafetta

« Reply #72 on: April 16, 2007, 11:28:21 AM »
So all my joints are going to fall apart? Brilliant. I hate soldering too but all my old connectors were really in a bad way. A bloke from the Honda owners club told me that was the way to go as long as I used a decent soldering gun. Well, its doing the job so far, I'll have to see what happens. Also, I've been told by a few people that WD40 on conectors is a big No-no. Dunno why though. Dunno much at all really.

Let's know how you get on after your big run, Damo.

Cheers,
Dave B

pigafetta

« Reply #73 on: April 16, 2007, 11:57:21 AM »
Following a brief perusal of the inteweb, it seems that the WD40 on connectors thing is a massive can of worms. Some say it leaves a residue which attracts muck, which in turn attracts moisture. Others say not. I still don't know. And I don't care enough to spend any more time worrying about it. I really should get out more.

Dave B

guest18

« Reply #74 on: April 16, 2007, 04:20:21 PM »
hose it with WD personally, it is a water dispersant so will do more harm than good imho, if you're worried about muck causing tracking etc then give it a hose down once a year (whether it needs it or not eh GC ;) )