Author Topic: DR/GN/SP400/ 370  (Read 5622 times)

themoudie

Re: DR/GN/SP400/ 370
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2008, 09:23:54 PM »
AAAAaaww! :( Crivins an' hap ma bob!! They is grim :'(

Did you grab the clutch in time?

Keep boppin', Bill.

camdoctor

« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2008, 06:48:51 AM »
It was a friends' Rotax KTM, the piston was a Wiseco. It happened on the road at full speed. He survived...
Wiseco recommends to change Pistons every 50hours..

P.S. My english isn't good enough for understanding your first sentence. For me it sounds like "Monty Pythons flying Circus" or "Billy Elliot, I will dance" in original tone. ;-)

cloggy

« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2008, 03:52:04 PM »
It's alright I didn't understand it either.
Some XT500 tuners recommend fitting a better rod if overboring the motor

Steve H

« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2008, 04:43:18 PM »
Standard Yamaha rods in the 600 engines tends to stretch at high revs. A Carrillo rod will allow the engine to rev much further into the red for longer without doing to much damage.

themoudie

« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2008, 08:50:07 PM »
Good evening Hans,

I have used Google to translate what I wrote and I hope it reads correctly. My Norfolk, Scots, English pronounciation and jumble of colloquialisms, causes problems over here ???. I apologies for confusing you. A bit like a Hanovarian trying to understand Bavarian dialect! ;)

Ein Eid blasphemischen oft geäußert und westlich von Schottland.

Auch ein Umgangssprachausdruck, die von einem berühmten Comic-Familie namens "The Broons" Sonntag in einer Zeitung, hier in Schottland.

"Sie ist düster", die eine Beobachtung der Zustand der beiden verbleibenden Klumpen Metall.

My regards, Bill.

camdoctor

« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2008, 06:38:41 PM »
@Bill
thanks for the translation. The translationmachine ist quite bad, but I understand the meaning now.  ;)
I AM Bavarian  ;D
@steveH and cloggy
The reason for this failure was NOT a broken rod. (A Carrillo was mounted, AFAIK)
I don't agree with you that yamaha-rods(or other japanese) make problems. I have seen more broken carrillos than yamaha-rods.
The piston turned upside down without loosing connection to the rod !
My XT500 in the first version with 600ccm (95mm J.E.) reved easily into 9500/min, and could be kept for a longer distance above 9000/min without problems. When the reglement changed, and max500ccm where allowed in that class,I transplanted it into my all-day-XT, (with a chang in cam-timing) where it just absolved successfully the 30000km-long time test, also without problems.
By the way:
When I made a two day trip in the Alps last weekend, I had so extremely much fun with it, winding up to Jaufenpass , singing loud under my helmet...
Gruss
Hans
« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 06:41:55 PM by camdoctor »

Steve H

« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2008, 12:22:44 PM »
I don't agree with you that yamaha-rods(or other japanese) make problems. I have seen more broken carrillos than yamaha-rods.
I didnt say they caused problems I just said they stretched.
Could it be the case that engines with Carillos are ridden/revved harder (because they have a Carillo), which results in other components failing.

camdoctor

« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2008, 12:38:08 PM »
Ah, I see.
Therefore squishband-clearings for original rods in XT500/600-engines should have a minimum of 1,2mm. Maybe with Carrillo it can be closer? I won't try  ;D

cloggy

« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2008, 10:16:43 AM »
Have a look at ebay uk there's a classic racer
sp370/400 bored and stroked to just under 500cc
Reading between the lines it may be using a modded SP400 piston and rod. Mostly it was stroked.
 l
Look under "sp370"  "parts and vehicles" or paste this
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vic-Camp-Suzuki-500cc-Classic-Racer-SP-370-based_W0QQitemZ280219477468QQihZ018QQcategoryZ9808QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

« Reply #54 on: April 20, 2008, 06:03:51 PM »
Evening all just back from a weekend racing at East Fortune.It was the first time out on the Hejira,practice on Saturday went reasonble,the riding position is a bit cramped(just need to lift the fairing so I can raise the handlebars on put them out wider),swap to a road change set up rather than race(made a couple of bad gear changes going down the gears instead of up),the bike is also a bit under geared and the tacho has a mind of its own,Qualified not quite last(2nd last row) its been a long time since I've been that far back.1st race got a terrible start didn't see the lights go out had a couple of dices with bigger bikes on the bends but lost out on the straights finishing last in class but had some earlystocks behind so was not dead last.Saturdays other race was cancelled due to lack of time due to a couple of nasty crashes in other races and riders requiring hospital treatment nasty.Sunday got Saturdays race which was canelled,got a terrible start not my fault this time the bloke in front bogged down his Manx so I thought I would nip by the outside of him but his bike picked up and I had to nip in behind him loosing time,had a good race with a novice on a CBR600 who had been moved into my class as he was too slow for his own class.I would pass him round the twisty stuff and he would blast me on the straights,I passed him 3 times coming out of the snake(a corner flat in 4th)on the outside as I had good corner speed but on the 4th occasion as I was lining him up and about to pounce and he ran wide causing me to sit up to avoid hitting him and I ran off the track and onto the field which had freshly grow crops so if I crashed it wouldn't be too bad,dont know what speed I was doing but I think that the old SP engine was at home :) as the bike eventually came to a stop,when I rejoined  the track I kept of the racing line to clean my tyres.Finished last again but no damage,when I got back to the pits the bike was covered in mud,the
Tattie looked at home.2nd race got a blinder of a start going fron the 6th row up to about the 3rd before the lights went out(oops) got into the first corner mid pack then down the back straight it was like I was in reverse,halfway through the race I had been concetrating that much that the left hand clip on was nearly into the fairing/tank,should I pull in or finish the race bugger it Race,down the staights i pushed the bar straight then after a lap it would creep in,I eventually finished 9th out of 11.I missed my last race because I noticed fuel dripping from the carb,never mind the bike goes, stops and handles well and I knocked 7 seconds of my lap time over the weekend.Will fettle the Tattie before Knockhill in June.
 cheers the noo Brian #88   

camdoctor

« Reply #55 on: April 21, 2008, 08:01:02 PM »
@#88
Nice to read. :-)
@cloggy
I read the article the seller posted to the yahoo-GN400-forum. The piston is original GN400, also the rod is,
but he stroked the crank by welding and reboring it +7,5mm for a stroke of +15mm..

Cheers,
Hans

« Reply #56 on: May 02, 2008, 08:02:11 PM »
Hi there
 waiting on some parts for the hejira,was wondering if anyone knows what tacho would work on the SP motor as the one that is fitted on it has a mind of its own,I would like to keep it cable driven.
 cheers the noo Brian #88

johnr

• Regular
« Reply #57 on: May 07, 2008, 03:18:32 PM »
going back a few years, one of the most fun bikes i ever had was a honda xl125 frame with a suzuki gn400 engine in it. it handled ok, and was light, but the best thing was, it went like stink, a propper flyer. id done a bit of tidying up the ports in it and had fitted a home made copper head gasket,   (mainly because i had it apart so often). the only signioficnt changes to the stock spec were a nice fre flowing exhaust pipe, and a huge klr 650 cv carb the carb enabled it to really fly, whilst still being a grunty mud plugger. alas, i got fed up of the local scrotes trying to nick it every time i parked it up at home, so i flogged it.

guest27

« Reply #58 on: May 19, 2008, 12:45:34 PM »
Oooops!   :o

R

« Reply #59 on: May 22, 2008, 07:05:13 PM »
Hans I was wondering if you have had any joy finding a suitable piston for your bike?
Or if anybody else has found a suitable one.
 cheers the noo Brian #88