Author Topic: Belt Driven Motorcycles  (Read 92 times)

Ian

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 2036
Belt Driven Motorcycles
« on: September 23, 2026, 09:29:03 AM »
Has anyone ever ridden one of the above ( American Heavy Plant & Agricultural Equipment Exempted).
Or has anyone ever converted a conventional Chain & Sprockets to Belt driven. I'd be very interested to find out more.
1 BMW C400X

Moto63

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 4280
Re: Belt Driven Motorcycles
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2026, 11:29:29 AM »
Hi Ian. Big bro used to own a belt driven Kawasaki 305 back in the 90’s. I rode that a few times, generally short rides but once rode it up to, around and back from the Lake District. So approximately 100 mile ride
Cheers, Michael

Ian

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 2036
Re: Belt Driven Motorcycles
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2026, 03:28:26 PM »
Thanks for your reply Michael, any observations that stand out?
I'm trying to find out plusses (++) or negatives (- -) for the system
1 BMW C400X

xbally

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1351
Re: Belt Driven Motorcycles
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2026, 08:02:06 AM »
I ran a Kawasaki Z440 a couple of years ago.

It was a high mileage US import with a few issues but none were related to the belt drive.

I don't recall it being any different to a chain except I never needed to adjust the belt and the main advantage was the belt is much cleaner.

Not sure why belts never really caught on. You can get a conversion for some bikes. I think Hitchcocks may do one for the 650 Interceptor and associated models.
HONDA CB250RSA ROYAL ENFIELD GUERRILLA 452

Moto63

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 4280
Re: Belt Driven Motorcycles
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2026, 08:26:40 AM »
Thanks for your reply Michael, any observations that stand out?
I'm trying to find out plusses (++) or negatives (- -) for the system
Well, it’s a long time ago since I rode it but I certainly don’t recall any negatives nor any real positives. There again it wasn’t my bike, and to echo Martins comments, I do remember big bro remarking how he never had to adjust or obviously oil the belt. So generally plus pints I’d have to say. Obviously the bike was a low capacity at 305cc so not putting out much power, certainly not to the rear wheel. So maybe belt drives would suit the lower capacity machines rather than the more more powerful stuff 🤷???
Hope this helps
Are you thinking of converting one of your bikes?
Cheers, Michael

Moto63

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 4280
Re: Belt Driven Motorcycles
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2026, 08:33:44 AM »
Also, I’ve just remembered. I took a Buell out for a test ride back in around 1996’ish.
That was belt driven plus reasonably powerful. It just wasn’t powerful enough for me at the time, coming off a triumph speed triple. I rode the Buell for around 50miles without any form of issue regarding the belt. I liked the bike generally, it simply wasn’t fast enough for me at the time. Hence I bought my second speed triple and not the Buell

Ian

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 2036
Re: Belt Driven Motorcycles
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2026, 09:25:10 PM »
Thank you for your replies....content noted

"Are you thinking of converting one of your bikes?
Cheers, Michael"

"Watch this space Michael....I'll tell you more at the bike show on the Sunday 😉👍
1 BMW C400X

Moto63

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 4280
Re: Belt Driven Motorcycles
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2026, 07:55:46 AM »


"Watch this space Michael....I'll tell you more at the bike show on the Sunday 😉👍
Oh …. Now that is a chat I’m looking forward to, especially while chewing on a couple of jelly babies 😉

themoudie

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 4856
Re: Belt Driven Motorcycles
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2026, 10:43:26 AM »
Mornin'!

Now to put the cat among the pigeons!  ;D

Go and have a look at eBay lot number: 257760281124

I have no first hand knowledge of the machine and I have not seen the beastie, but it looks good, if eccentric value!

Also I have a friend who runs both Buell and a Harley, with belt drive and he is of the opinion that they are good and make for a smoother ride, with less transmission snatch. His other machine is a Honda NC750X (half a 'Jazz'!) that is chain drive and he is of the opinion that the belt is easier to live with than this chain transmission.

Changing the belt is more involved than splitting and then riveting, or split link installing, with a chain. That is a personal preference that he is happy to do himself.

Hope all is well and the ailments are improving or being managed. Duke is getting a 20K mile top end overhaul. Keep wearing them out!

BillR

iansoady

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1980
Re: Belt Driven Motorcycles
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2026, 11:17:28 AM »
Now that is interesting Bill, and so cheap! If my ageing muscles could manage it I'd be looking seriously at it.
Ian.
1964 Norton Electra
1969 BSA-Suzuki-Steib S501 (the B'Zuki)
2016 Herald Classic 250

Moto63

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 4280
Re: Belt Driven Motorcycles
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2026, 05:37:55 PM »
Yes, interesting bike Bill. The bloke must do some serious ride outs on it. It also sports heated grips. A man after my own heart ….. toastie 😉