Author Topic: not exactly thumper, but it is single cylinder...  (Read 1063 times)

Steve Lake

• Dyslexics have more nuf
not exactly thumper, but it is single cylinder...
« on: January 21, 2020, 10:37:18 PM »
I have several chain saws, the oldes being a Husquvarna F70, now a collectors item (in the states), but still going well, though i find it a bit heavy these days.
I also have Stihl (011) an amazing little saw, 14" lightweight and easy to use, however, recently it has stopped oiling the chain ... on stripping the oil pump i find the vacuum driven diaphragm has failed .... numerous emails to Stihl established that at 10 years old they cease spare part support, and there are no diaphragm pumps available anywhere.
my question to you guys is.... is there anywhere one can obtain diaphragm material? .... it seems it is the same material and thickness to the diaphragm in the srx ypvs, and i only need a square inch .... maybe slightly bigger

themoudie

Re: not exactly thumper, but it is single cylinder...
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2020, 10:51:12 AM »
Mornin', you old beaver, bor!

My local goldmine in the loft for such parts has assured me likewise, "They are fairy dust! Even though we are still asked for parts for them and the 009." So it appears that you are stuffed.

However, I had one o' those 'brain sea things', wave that's it! Give NRP a call, those boys that make the carbie diagphram kits? They'd at least know what you were wartling on about!

Link: NRP-carbs

Keep troshing the wood! Bin 12C up here and the sun is out again for the 4th day in a row, so no complaints.

Good health for 2020, Bill

Steve Lake

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2020, 11:14:14 AM »
d'you know, i thought.... haven't heard from Bill for a while ... maybe this'll get him out of hibernation  :D
thanks for the info Bill, will give'em a try this afternoon.
it's been grand weather here.... until you posted your answer, now it's damp, misty and overcast ...
hope you and yours had a great festive season ... and now the good news.... look on the bright side, only 338 shopping days 'til next Christmas  >:(
Thanks Bill

themoudie

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2020, 02:56:04 PM »
Aye Steve,

The repost to the number of shopping days afore Xmas is unprintable, from both of us up here! Thank you, we did have a good time, albeit a bit damp, on Arran for a week. Xmas day itself was bonnie day, but some of the others were just 'trocious!

Been out and about making the most of the good weather and have the snowdrops blooming and some snowflakes (flower bulbs!) as well. In Perth down by the Tay some daffies are showing their buds. Great spotted woodpecker was hammering his territorial sounding branches today and both the rooks and jackdaws have beakfulls of nesting materials. Now going to rebuild Morini K2 carbs and put a Amal MKII on the Duke.

Good health, Bill

Steve Lake

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2020, 05:04:47 PM »
hey!, glad to hear all is well, and you're fettling in the new year  :D .
We're off to the outer hebrides in april....
we have booked a ferry 'hop scotch' ....
from oban to castlebay, one night on barra then
ardmhor to eriskay, 2 nights on benbecular, then
berneray to leverburgh, 3 nights just south of stornaway then
stornaway to ullapool and home...
hoping to see lots of wildlife, and find a good wee dram of single malt
pip pip

themoudie

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2020, 08:52:38 PM »
The stravaig around the Outer Isles sounds good Steve. Hopefully, the climate God's will be kind and the dreaded NC500 lemmings will not have reached their plague proportions on the return leg from Ullapool via Inversneckie.

If you are not in a hurry on the return from Inversneckie, try the 'old A9' route south as much as possible and after storming Drumochter take the right turn at Dalnaspidal for Trinafour and then come down the back road to Tummel Bridge, then the B846 to Coshieville, Weem and Aberfeldy. Straight on from the lights in Aberfeldy on the A826 to its junction with the A822, head south down to Gilmerton and the junction with the A85 and Crieff. Next pickup the A822 heading south to Muthill, Braco and the dual carriageway A9 to Stirling and then on to the M74/M6 to Penrith and A68 to Scots Corner etc. More detail from Inversneckie to Dalnaspidal if required!

You should also be aware that there are 40mph average speed cameras in action from Dunkeld/Birnam to Luncarty on the A9 south that is being dualled at the moment and at the weekend can take an age, with 'Stop, Start' and journey times from Inversneckie to Perth up from 2 hours to 4 hours plus. This website link below, from Traffic Scotland could prove useful.

Link: Traffic_Scotland_roadworks

There are also 'overtaking lanes' of limited length in place that can be used to overtake slower vehicles! BUT, be aware that as they are NOT dual carriageways, with a central barrier and the 60mph average speed cameras still apply. These cameras are in place all the way from Inversneckie to Dunblane on the A9 and HGV's greater than 7.5 tonnes in weight are permitted to travel at 50mph; rather than the Scottish national speed limit of 40mph on single carriageway roads.

Slainte, Bill

Steve Lake

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2020, 09:52:06 PM »
thanks for the info Bill. we've not got any real timing problems, am stopping over in sterling both ways....
on paper it's a 4 hour drive from ullapool, and 2.5 hours to oban.
the ferry into ullapool arrives at 1800, so was hoping we'd be at sterling sometime around 2200 - 2300...
on the way up we need to be at oban 1245 latest, so was planning on leaving sterling 0900 ish...
in the light of what you said about roadworks ... how does this sound ?
i don't have any routes planned (yet) ... apart from heading up the A1, and getting sat/nav fired up.
cheers

themoudie

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2020, 10:28:54 PM »
Aye Steve,

Stirling is a good place to have your stopover. Plenty of places to have a mooch around and variety of places to eat.

Stirling out to Callander, Crianlarich, Tyndrum, then Dalmally can be busy, best to go with the flow and hope the motorhomes aren't about. The alternative route via Loch Lomond to Crianlarich, I would suggest is more stressful. Timber lorries at speed can be a feature and overtaking distances can be shorter than they first appear. From Loch Awe on to Oban the road is narrow and twisty. Scenery is good all the way and can be dramatic. Oban can take a wee while as getting round to the dock involves going through the middle of the town. So I would advise 3 hours, rather than the 2 1/2 hours that Google maps suggests.

As the run back from Ullapool is night time, then probably best to stick with the main drag (A9) all the way from the Tore roundabout to Inversneckie, then to Stirling and your 4 to 5 hours would be about right. The roadworks should be nice and quiet coming south at that time of night.  ;)

Fingers crossed for good weather, preferably an east wind, as the west usually benefits from this in the spring.

My regards, Bill

Steve Lake

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2020, 10:35:43 PM »
good on yer Bill .... well impressed !
pip pip

johnr

• Regular
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2020, 10:20:30 PM »
theres a machine in the gents toilet of your local pub that dispenses packets of diaphragm material in conveniently foil wrapped packets complete with two spare diaphragms....

mthee

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2020, 02:39:44 PM »
Good to know, johnr, or should I say, johnny!? ;D Couldn't resist, sorry!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 05:50:02 PM by mthee »
Fear of the unknown does not mean the unknown needs to be feared

Steve Lake

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2020, 08:45:00 PM »
nice one JohnR, i'd ave to get extra strength ..... don't want a breakage .... could end up with me saw gettin up the duff !  ;D

themoudie

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2020, 08:46:26 PM »
Aye john, nae sure if that will withstand the strain of pushing SAE120 non-fling oil through a small orifice at 8,000 strokes per minute!  ::)  Likely a blow out and you wouldn't want the paternity claim!   :o

Steve

Might I suggest that this eBay advert offers some more suitable options?

Link: eBay_Nitrile-Nylon-Diaphragm-Material-0-3mm-0-4mm-and-0-5mmthk-Various-Sheet-sizes

May need some rivetting practise bor!

Good health, Bill

Steve Lake

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2020, 04:13:55 PM »
Cracking job Bill, got a sheet on order, thanks. Never heard back from nap carbs.

themoudie

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2020, 05:53:21 PM »
Aye Steve,

Shame that, as NRP have always helped me and others on the forum.

Hope the sheet arrives in good order and does the trick.

More snow on the tops but another sunny day at lower levels, with the odd sleety shower.

Slainte, Bill