Author Topic: Fuel in the crank case srx600  (Read 2581 times)

themoudie

Re: Fuel in the crank case srx600
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2019, 07:45:04 AM »
Aye Dan,

WARNING!!!!!

Be careful with your rubber 'O' rings etc. in the carbs, they can be sensitive to carb or carb/brake cleaner and perish!!!  :-[ :-[ :(  :'(  Newer 'rubber' parts are more likely to be resistant to this chemical reaction wi' the cleaner, because they are ethanol resistant; but I am cautious about this when immersing or agitating parts, with a brush,  in the cleaner.

All the best, Bill

Danxup

« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2019, 03:30:55 PM »
Ey up lads.. just thought I'd give you an update.. new needle and seat in carbs . Fuel tap overhauled both ready to go back on bike. Couldn't get bloody nut off kickstart leaver today to get clutch cover off any advice? I thought id borrow my brothers impact wrench this week and try and shock it off.  Or is it left hand thread. 

Steve Lake

• Dyslexics have more nuf
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2019, 09:38:49 AM »
normal thread ..... try a bit of heat (not too much).....
i have heard of them coming off during a ride. ....   with subsequent loss of a kick start lever, at about a squillion pounds a piece ... probably why it's on so tight

Danxup

« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2019, 09:58:32 AM »
Yeah when i restored the 400 the kickstart was cracked coulsnd find one for ages ended up getting one from japan for about 100 quid with postage etc.. then one came up on ebay for 30 quid a few weeks after so i snaped that up aswell so i now have a spare.. ill try abit of heat and the impact wrench tonight if i get time.. the clutch has actually cone back but i figured i might aswell have it out while im at it

Danxup

« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2019, 05:43:40 PM »
Managed to get a bit of garage time this aft got the carbs and fuel tap back on and clutch cover off anf clutch out and cleaned .  Ill leave the clutch out to dry for a week or so then kett you know how i get on . Cheers for all the advice.  Also one of the clutch springs is broken should i replace the lot or just the one ? 😣

Steve Lake

« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2019, 09:39:26 PM »
do  the lot, not expensive .... just changing one is not recommended

Danxup

« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2019, 02:47:16 AM »
Right i will cheers steve. Ill get some orderd

themoudie

« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2019, 10:43:26 PM »
 ;) Bill

Danxup

« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2019, 06:24:10 PM »
Ey up chaps... got all the jobs done went for a steady run. Came back droped the oil replaced the filter and re filled with oil.. thought id take her for a run i got about a mile and the clutch went slack and gradually went completely.. it then dawnd on me that i mustn't of tightend up the lock nut on the clutch assembly.. i was right i droped the oil again took clutch cover off and sure enough the lock nut had come off..
Only problem now is i cant remember if ther was a washer or not . If ther was it must of found its way into the crank case..
Could it cause a total disaster?  Im abit annoyed with myself to be honest..

themoudie

« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2019, 09:50:45 PM »
Aye Dan,

OH! B.....! Here is a link to the Fowlers parts lists for the clutch:  SRX600_clutch_parts

The washer, from your description (Part number:YBS66-6), appears to have gone 'walkabout'  :(  I doubt if the washer will be sucked up into the oil pump, providing your strainer gauze was in good nick and unlikely to become tangled up in the gears, but slide about the bottom of the cases!  :o You could try a little 'fishing', with a slim telescopic magnet, whilst the cover is off and see if you get lucky.  :)

Steve may be of a different opinion about the washer floating about, but I'll leave it up to you whether you decide to leave it alone if you cannot 'fish' it out.

All the best.

My regards, Bill

Danxup

« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2019, 06:45:26 PM »
Purchased a telescopic magnet . Ill let you know how i get on.  Cheers evryone

Steve Lake

« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2019, 05:01:33 PM »
To my knowledge (and failing memory), i don't think there was a washer on the adjusting thread .. leat, not on #1 when i put it back together a month ago .... but hey!... maybe i lost mine too :-)

Danxup

« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2019, 09:50:31 AM »
Now then.. i finally got in the garage yesterday and got the 600 back together.  I fished and i fished but didnt find a washer so decided to convince myself it didnt have one on.. ive re filled with oil and run her up . Had a little ride up and down the yard and evrything seems ok . Didnt take her for a proper run as its out of tax and ill be sorning her till spring.. also the fuel seems to be staying were it should be so it looks like the new needle and seat and overhauling the tap has done the trick.  Thankyou so much for all your input fellas.. ive no doubt ill be picking your brains again in the future.. next job is to drain the fuel from the 400 and the 600 for winter.. hopefully ill get in the garage again soon. For now its work and dad duties.. cheers!

themoudie

« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2019, 10:13:23 PM »
A pleasure Dan.  :)

Enjoy the "Dad duties" as well, even though they can be taxing, they will use their wings in the blink of an eye; but still ask for "Dad advice many years on.  ;)

Good health, Bill