Author Topic: "Lets Off Road!"  (Read 498 times)

timbo

"Lets Off Road!"
« on: August 23, 2019, 10:41:08 AM »
Well, after years of thinking about it, and procrastinating, I have finally took the plunge, and booked a full days course at the Yamaha Off Road School in mid Wales, as I have no off road experience, and want to take the Himilaya on a few trails, maybe even the TET in the UK and Europe. Also, has anyone any experience of the TRF, as there's a local group in my area  :)
Namaste

rockfogey

Re: "Lets Off Road!"
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2019, 10:56:38 AM »
Hi Tim,
I joined the TRF last month.  Shropshire meet 3rd Thursday of the month Gaskell arms Much Wenlock. I have not yet attended a meeting or taken a ride with them.  I am waiting for my carb to come back from Allen's where it is getting a service. I have been in contact with Mike, one of the branch organisers, he runs mid week rides and someone else does weekend rides.
I'm thinking of getting some training at one of the  schools, haven't decided which one yet. let me know how your's turns out.

timbo

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2019, 04:40:31 PM »
What a coincidence Mart. I only contacted Mike this very week, to find out where they meet up, and as you say, its the Gaskell Arms in Much Wenlock, so I think I may well call up there next month. just have to persuade Rossco500 to sell/lend me his Serow  ;D
Namaste

CrazyFrog

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2019, 06:07:55 PM »
As I've probably said before, I did a weekend trail riding with the TRF a couple of years ago on Salisbury plain. I was on my Dr350 and was the only one out of about 50 who rode my bike to the event! The TRF guys seemed a decent bunch, mist serious riders running Serrows or CRFs. There was a 'nutty' element who thundered around at 60mph plus off road on big KTMs and similar. All had tales to tell of broken bones and other injuries.

All in all a great weekend with a good bunch, but I decided off road wasn't really for me.
2023 Royal Enfield Meteor 350
2021 Honda CB125F

Rossco500

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2019, 10:27:39 PM »
I'll have to work out a daily Serow rental rate! Lol.
Unfortunately in NI we don't have any Green Lanes so little opportunity to use it as intended. It has a surprising engine - revvy on the open road as expected yet impressively torquey up hills etc.
Yet another example of the Japs keeping all the good stuff for themselves and not officially importing them - like all those 400cc thumpers and 400 fours.

Regards

Tony   

Richard

• Always wear protection
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2019, 02:14:09 AM »
Tim - enjoy yourself - its a great course which I did about 18 years ago - and broke my leg in the process.

But I did learn a lot.

Richard.
Note to Self: Shiney side goes UP.

timbo

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2019, 05:59:03 PM »
Well, what an amazing day that was! Not quite what I was expecting as it was definitely a lot more hard core than I expected. I never released any bike could take that sort of abuse. We were mainly on Yamaha WR250s which have about a foot of travel at each end and will pretty much go over anything! We were basically given some basic coaching on body position etc and then split into groups. Most of the people there had been before, and some had never ridden road bikes at all, and they were the advanced group. I was in the lower group for those with no off road experience, and have to admit I was very nervous. But the bikes were just so forgiving, and after a few sessions I felt like I was flying along over everything at terrifying speeds! Though of course, I probably wasn't in reality. I had expected a bit of trail riding on gravel tracks, but we rode everything, including extremely narrow forrest trails with huge water filled pot holes and jumps that you would have struggled to walk along. The tuition and coaching was first class, and the scenery was amazing. Also we had fantastic weather. Would I do it again? Im not sure, as I feel I was lucky to get away without serious injury, as the speed increased and my confidence started to out strip my skill level. I never actually crashed, though I came damn close on a few occasions. There was even a guy there who had never even sat on a bike or scooter of any description before. After an hour of one to one tuition, he joined the rest of us, and to be honest, by the end of the day, I struggled to keep up with him. They run courses three days a week and are always fully booked up well in advance, with a lot of repeat business. they also have a fleet of XT660s which they run other courses on.
Namaste

CrazyFrog

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2019, 06:36:14 AM »
Wow, sounds like a great day Tim. I'm really pleased in retrospect that I've had a go too. I've done a fair bit of mountain biking in my time too, which helped a bit with the off roading. As I say though, I doubt if I'll do either again as I'm not sure I enjoy it enough to justify the monetary risk of wrecking machinery or the health risk of broken bones!
2023 Royal Enfield Meteor 350
2021 Honda CB125F

Smithy

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2019, 07:53:37 AM »
Hi Tim

That sounds like a truly memorable day and great fun as well. I used to do some off-roading with the Midlands Classic Club on a home built 250 CZ trail bike (which is where my path crossed with Ian Soady's) and despite being awful I loved it. I have since done some green laning on The Mighty Enfield and planned to do some more on the CRF250 that was stolen.

However I was in A&E last Saturday as my shoulder locked up and although it is freed up now it is basically knackered from years of abuse so I couldn't stand on a bike now. Shame but at least I can still ride a road bike for short distances.

Ian

iansoady

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2019, 09:05:56 AM »
You prompted me to have a quick look at the MCMCC web site and while it's still going it seems the Colonial trials are sadly a thing of the past and all the events re totally off-road affairs. I didn't recognise any of the names there either although when we were involved it must be 20+ years ago! I remember Roger Gagg with his fearsome Triumph twins, and his son Steve with an even more scary BMW outfit.
Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958(ish) Grumph.....