Author Topic: #8.. finally.. 9 months after i got it, finally getting round to sorting it out.  (Read 2835 times)

Steve Lake

• Dyslexics have more nuf
Well, i knew it was an mot failure when i got it, also not charging battery, failed on rear brake, disc was paper thin..... so clever clogs here  thought .... i have the bits ... i have the info ... what can possibly go wrong ??

quite a bluddy lot by the looks of things.

i liked the look of this machine as it was virtually 100% original, just hagon shocks and braided hoses being the difference, my intention is to keep it as near original as possible.

so, following a close inspection, here's the list of issues so far ..... (there may be more to follow :-) )

rear disc, .all footrest rubbers crap or missing, ditto kickstart & rear brake rubbers. both forks leaking like a sieve over brake assemblies. bleed nipple on front caliper sheared off, ditto rear caliper. seat upholstery falling to bits. tank appears to have been painted with a tar brush, petrol barely flowing to carbs, throttle cable bell crank on side of carbs hanging off casting for fixing bolt sheared off.
not charging battery , wiring in a mess.

not feeling such a clever clogs now  :( ..., progress report to follow ...

Moto63

Evening Steve, I assume the bike in question is an srx of some description??.... best of luck with it and yes keep us posted 👍👍🤘. Cheers, Michael

Steve Lake

sorry, yes... a 'D' reg SRX600 1JK (grey import).

addition to the list, front mudguard in complete tatters.

pic is sorry state of the front brakes, complete with fork oil contamination

[attachment deleted by admin]

themoudie

MMMmmmm!  :-X

Have shirt!  ;)

All the best, Bill

Moto63

"It'll be worth it in the end" " be lovely when it's finished " Put these sayings on a tape at the side of your bed Steve and play it on loop as you sleep. Bit of subliminal messaging, it'll work wonders 😉😉👍...

mthee

Therapy, that's what'll sort it - of the talking variety, preferably in sessions down your local. However, with the amount of issues you have to cover, this might get expensive :-\ Let's hope the barmaid is a proper sort to make your medicine go down a whole lot smoother  :o  ;D
Fear of the unknown does not mean the unknown needs to be feared

Steve Lake

got the electrics sorted,..... supposedly the generator had been changed, the regulator had been changed (for a non standard one, which i tested on my #6 srx, and it works fine), the battery had been replaced, (dunno why, if the original had been faulty there would have been no lights ??)
the wiring to the regulator was rubbish and included an adaptor to allow fitting of the non standard regulator. the 'new' battery was bone dry!!, surely they hadn't bought a dry charged battery and not added the acid ???...
cut out the crap wiring, fitted the correct plug to the new cabling to take a standard regulator, fitted a tested regulator, and a new battery.
fitted an additional earth from the heatsink to the chassis.(a silly habit of mine).
all works a treat now.
not the tidiest of jobs, ... function over form  ;)

Steve Lake

This might all seem like an unseemly rush... but i've decided to have this job done and dusted by the end of the month, mot first week in april then flog it.
got the calipers back from my Mr Fixit, + a spare repaired as well.
the 2 gold ones are from the rear of #6 srx  (i'd bu55ered one up last year, then did the same thing again a couple of weeks ago ... doh!)
the 2 grey ones are from #9. both were sheared, he got them out with heat and an easyout.
same for one of the gold ones, the other had to be drilled and tapped and an oversized nipple fitted. so i'll have them all fitted up and bled over the weekend.... well that's assuming rebuilding the forks goes according to plan.
not sure whether to replace the head bearings with taper/roller's .... will check them over the weekend.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 04:06:08 PM by SteveL »

themoudie

Aye Steve,

A celebratery Abbott appears in order!  ;D

Northerly wind and hill snow up here today, after 36 hours of sleety wetness and easterly winds; the Duke is progressing slowly.  ;)

Good health, Bill

Steve Lake

forks now fitted with new bushes, seals & clips.
i don't know what others use for stripping their forks, but this is my rather rudimentary (but effective) weapon of choice, just a bolt welded to a 1/2" extension, then used with another extension and 'T' bar.

CrazyFrog

Nice work!

My fork stripping tool is even more rudimentary - a length of all thread with two nuts locked together at each end!
2023 Royal Enfield Meteor 350
2021 Honda CB125F

mthee

Proper mechanics, you two. Having got a hobby welder for Xmas (opening here for rant on spelling ;D) I must copy your design, Steve.
But, I do have a pukka compression jig - a wooden stool with a hole in the top to accept the cap nut; the stool sits underneath battens fixed to the wall at the appropriate height to retain the stanchion by its mudguard lugs once the forks have been compressed.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 02:35:08 PM by mthee »
Fear of the unknown does not mean the unknown needs to be feared

Steve Lake

Now got the back end rebuilt, cleaned and stripped the swingarm, then repainted. rebuilt the caliper and fitted NOS disc, cleaned off wheel and regreased everything. hagon shocks, though filthy & rusty are in very good shape.  ........  now we move to the front.

Moto63

Wowsers Steve that subliminal tape at the side of your bed must be getting some air time, given the rate of pace you're going 😁👍... looking forward to seeing the completed pics. Cheers, Michael

Steve Lake

At the moment i can't seem to upload pics, says something about 'upload folder is full, contact admin'.... dunno what that's about.