Author Topic: XBR replacement tank  (Read 12019 times)

Moto63

Re: XBR replacement tank
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2019, 10:07:09 AM »
Not to sure to be honest Matt, never used it mate. Got to be worth a go tho Shirley. Plus possibly a thin smear externally of something like araldite. Not to sure how araldite copes with the modern fuels? (Anybody out there have some info on this??). Still gotta be worth a shot trying it out, then pop some fuel in it for a few days before it goes off for spraying. Assuming it works obviously 😁😁🤘Best o luck and keep me posted .... cheers, Michael

mthee

« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2019, 03:49:41 PM »
Thanks, Michael. Always good to get your ideas. Off to the sprayers? It's gonna be home brew 2k in a can for me! ::)
Fear of the unknown does not mean the unknown needs to be feared

Moto63

« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2019, 04:51:00 PM »
Well Matt......  when I said "off to the sprayers" what I actually meant was when you take it into a different part of your workshop to spray it😁😁.... judging by john's post on your other thread looks like you might have Sussed out the answer with the por 15. Never used it but certainly sounds like the way to go. Keep me posted 👍.... cheers,Michael

mthee

« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2019, 08:28:19 PM »
With the CB200 tank now firmly mounted (no, not like that, vicar! I like it a lot, but not that much!) I've found that the resulting triangle is too big to fill ( :o)  What I mean is, the smaller tank makes any side panel needed to cover the airbox and battery triangle appear too big. So, the airbox might have to go, leaving me with a K&N question for Moto63. I understand you ran one successfully on an original XBR carb? Was it this one and is there any rejetting/ needle lifting required?

https://www.knfilters.com/mobile/mProduct.aspx?prod=RC-2310

Thanks, Michael
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 08:30:48 PM by mthee »

Moto63

« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2019, 07:42:15 AM »
Morning Matt... no I didn't run my cafe racer on the original carb, I bought a mikuni standard slide type (not a CV) then popped a conical K&N filter on that. I can/will dig out the relative paperwork to refresh my memory on the actual model of carb and let you know. I remember it wasn't as expensive as I thought it might be. I'm not saying it was chirpy, chirpy CHEAP, CHEAP (song in there somewhere) but defo not bank braking figures.... I am a Yorkshire man after all 😁😁👍.... I think you'll struggle to run it properly with the standard carb with no air box. Any pics yet of bike with CB tank fitted, looking forward to seeing them 👍.. cheers, Michael

mthee

« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2019, 12:33:19 PM »
Here's pics of tank in place:

[attachment deleted by admin]

mthee

« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2019, 12:34:49 PM »
And side panel v tank size problem:

« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 12:43:00 PM by mthee »

mthee

« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2019, 12:53:19 PM »
CB200 tank

mthee

« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2019, 01:27:09 PM »
Might have found an answer to the K&N cone filter carb tuning?

http://www.thumperclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=3345.msg20815#msg20815

Rossco500

« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2019, 08:02:22 PM »
Hi Matt - not sure if I am interpreting what you are saying correctly but looking at the photograph with the xbr side panel in place, you might find it looks ok if / when the tank and panels are painted in the same colour. If you can open that photo using the one of the graphics packages on your computer (Paint?) you might be able to get an idea how it would look and possibly add a seat. Also, you might be able to reduce the look of the "triangle" on the side panel by increasing the width of the angled black section (which Honda has effectively already done). Not sure if any of this makes sense! Lol

As others have suggested it can be quite tricky setting up a carb without the airbox

Regards

Tony 

mthee

« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2019, 10:24:13 PM »
Thanks, Tony. Side panels are sold, so it looks like I'll be trawling Google for inspiration. I want something different anyway and it will come. Metal covers for the airbox housing and an oval plate for the battery area, or vice versa, maybe. Having bought a jet kit for a CB900 I ran with Ram Air foam pod filters years ago, I had thought CV's were tunable with just patience and a handful of jets  ::) With the XBR needing only one carb sorting and the success story in the link above, I was sorely tempted!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 10:30:23 PM by mthee »

Moto63

« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2019, 07:52:06 PM »
Looking good Matt, all that bike needs now (apart from the tank painting 🤣👍) is those side panels ditching and a lovely CARB throwing on there for everyone to look on at in absolute envy 😉🤘. That's when you'll get all n sundry asking you how it runs with the "original " carb with just a pod filter bolted on. At which point you can stroke your chin and suck thro your teeth and say..."yeah runs just fine"  😁👍
Cheers, Michael

mthee

« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2019, 09:48:22 PM »
I reckon if I rub my carb and wish hard enough, a genie from Yorkshire might appear and turn it ino a Mikuni flat slide for me!  :P 8) ;D
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 10:28:36 PM by mthee »

Moto63

« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2019, 09:21:18 AM »
Well Shirley that all depends on those magic words....." open sez mee"or was it "oh genie of the lamp" ( carb). 😉

mthee

« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2019, 06:48:06 PM »
"Hey momma, look at me, I'm on my way to the promised land!"

Or should that be;

"Hey Moto63, I'm on my way to the promised land!"

I never thought I'd get to come this far. Thanks, Michael, you're a gem!