Author Topic: Beware!  (Read 1114 times)

themoudie

Beware!
« on: October 24, 2018, 05:35:54 PM »
Just a general aside about projects; visited a local workshop today who are "sorting out" a brat/bobber CB750 custom job, for which £8,000 changed hands earlier this year. Purchased from the builder, not through a third party.

Have found that the front wheel is 5mm out of line with the track of the rear wheel.  ???  To add further insult to injury the drive chain run between the rear and gear box sprocket is 7mm from true.  ???  The brake hose material is the same as that used for the petrol lines from the tank to the carbs. Lumps of hose in the carbs and the brake fluid is 'sweating' through the hose, without pressure!  :o  None of the floats in the 4 carbs are the same shape or level.  ???  Three different types of cable used in the wiring, with no block connectors and a selection of cheap bullet connectors, crimped with bare wires behind the insulation, cone crimp connectors, with up to 4 different wires inside and un-insulated crimp spade connectors.  ??? ::)  And there is loads more! This is all after the sidestand snapped in half (butt welded with no fillet and then buffed back for a smooth custom finish), whilst strapped down in the back of the van for transport to the workshop, because "It wouldn't run right!".  ::)

I thought I had been mauled with the SRX Mono, but this must be sickening. Some of these 'Custom' jobs are scrapyard lash ups with a dinky paint job.

My regards, Bill

johnr

• Regular
Re: Beware!
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2018, 07:53:04 PM »
aye, as soon as the 'bobber' custom scene became all trendy and the latest fashion thing, all the scammers moved in and started punting out all manner of shite, with brown leather seats and tassels.  all i can say is that if someone is prepared to throw 8 grand at something that is a custom build because they dont know how to build it themselves, but who doesnt test check measure and inspect it before handing their brass over, then you know what they say about a fool and his money. serves them right i say.

Moto63

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2018, 07:56:03 PM »
Evening Bill, sickening ain't the word mate. Bar steward is the word I'd personally use for someone who, most likely knowingly sells these heaps of junk on. One can only hope that the prats "snap on" tool chest falls over on to him crushing him to the workshop floor. Sorry rant over.
Cheers,Michael

BrendanO

• Procrastinating in Embra
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2018, 10:04:47 PM »
I think in that type of situation, the time to get to know yr local bike mechanic is BEFORE you hand over a big wodge.

When I knew MUCH less than I do now (and I am far from expert), I bought a Triton. I paid local mechanic to come and look at it WITH me, and give me pointers and a value.

If mechanic won't travel, get seller to take to your mechanic. For an 8000 bike, gotta be worth an hours labour up front.

Hindsight, 20:20 and all that.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 08:10:19 AM by BrendanO »
XBR500,  FT500 (USA reg still but now starts/runs nicely!)
non-thumpers CX500EC, NTV650P

CrazyFrog

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2018, 07:51:57 AM »
Yeah, for every really talented backyard engineer, there are about 10 bodgers. Usually the bodgers work is self evident, but as pointed out, can sometimes be hidden behind fashionable knick nacks and a flash paint job.
2023 Royal Enfield Meteor 350
2021 Honda CB125F

tommy

• xbr500 xbr 650 nx 650 gsx1100
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2018, 09:10:12 PM »
i got to do a bit of work on a streetfighter fireblade bulit by some moron ,,builder,, along with all its other faults when i took the tank off i seen it had a wooden subframe supporting the seat unit :-\ tommy

Steve Lake

• Dyslexics have more nuf
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2018, 11:21:14 AM »
Bill.... did that lashup actually have an MOT ??..... please please say no

themoudie

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2018, 12:31:53 AM »
The "Lash_up" had an MoT when purchased  :o  and since the wheels and sprocket alignment issues have been dealt with, the ride height of the rear of the bike has been found to be wanting, as the chain will now chew the single sided swinging arm when being ridden! Aargh! :-X  It appears that the point at which the pivots for the swinging arm have been welded to the frame are too low and that extending or reducing the shock absorber/spring length does not resolve the problem.  :(

Bill
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 11:56:30 AM by themoudie »

CrazyFrog

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2018, 09:11:51 AM »
The MOT is literally not worth the paper it's not written on. I have had many examples of bikes bought with 12 months MOT, that were actually in a dangerous condition, the latest being my recently purchased KLE500 which came with 12 months MOT and a disintegrating rear wheel, with 5 or six serious cracks running to spoke holes  :o
2023 Royal Enfield Meteor 350
2021 Honda CB125F

Moto63

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2018, 06:53:21 PM »
"I'll have to give you an advisory for that sir" 😉😉🤘
Cheers, Michael