Author Topic: 1986 SRX600 choke cable removal?  (Read 427 times)

themoudie

1986 SRX600 choke cable removal?
« on: September 22, 2018, 03:46:17 PM »
Aye, you'll all have better things to do, but if anybody can explain in a few clear words "How?" do I remove the choke cable from the circular lever on the left-hand side of the left-hand handlebar switches, I would be very grateful.

Problem is an electrical fault in the indicator switch contacts (needs a clean and some!) and having cut the handlebar grip off and removed all 4 screws holding the switch unit and the clutch lever together, I find that the choke ring lever still holds it all together and I can't work out how to get it apart, short of a LARGE HAMMER!  >:( >:( >:(

A bonnie day for a run, wasted!

Thank you for your time.

My regards, Bill

Ian

Re: 1986 SRX600 choke cable removal?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2018, 04:30:31 PM »
Hopefully sorted now  ::) ;)
1 SRX 1 C400X -2 thumpers

themoudie

Re: 1986 SRX600 choke cable removal?
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2018, 07:16:53 PM »
Aye Ian, thank you.

My regards, Bill

For others information:-

1. Disconnect the choke cable from the carburettor.
2. Unclip the mid-cable cover and separate the 2 cable halves.
3. Undo the screw retaining the choke cable (small plastic moulding) and the switch cover.
4. Pull the ferrule end of the cable from the end of the cover and then rotate the choke lever rearwards, the cable will come up the outside of the switch body and cover.
5. By rotating the choke lever ring to the rear (clockwise), it will be possible to draw the ring sideways to disengage it from it's retaining lugs. Be careful, there is a spring loaded ball that acts as a detent ball! All being well the plastic moulding retaining it will be unworn and it should remain in place, if not......!
6. Now you can either replace the choke cable, or separate the switch body halves to sort out the wiring or lubricate the switches.
5. Assembly is a reversal of this sequence of actions.