Author Topic: SRX gear ratios  (Read 860 times)

Steve Lake

• Dyslexics have more nuf
Re: SRX gear ratios
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2018, 07:27:14 AM »
ok. split #6's cases last night, attaches are some pics for those who have heard of but not seen the fabled 'SRX6 gearbox complaint'
pic 1 is #6's 5th gear 9or whats left of it)
pic2 from a different angle
pic 3 proposed donor gear cluster from SRX4

I spent the evening measuring and remeasuring the 600 & 400 gear assemblies, and they appear to be identical in all important points.
the only issues seem to be the splines for the clutch basket are different (but I can use the 400 basket which in every other aspect is the same. and the mounting for the primary drive sprocket is different (uses a locknut instead of a separate locking collar held in place by 2 nuts onto the sprocket), but I can source the sprocket and locknut ok..... so, once I locate my circlip pliers the transplant will take place..... watch this space  :).
during my extensive measuring exercise yesterday, I made an interesting discovery/observation ..... the stroke, size of flywheels, size of balance shaft, spacing of cylinder studs are identical in both the 600 & 400, the case mouldings appear identical apart from the barrel aperture.
so..... I happen to have a spare XT600 barrel & head, I'm thinking I may get the 400 aperture machined out, and see if I can magic a 600 out of a 400,.... I'm Sure Bill will now research this fully and list all the insurmountable problems which will doom the project to an early grave....  ;D
pip pip

[attachment deleted by admin]

themoudie

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2018, 10:32:44 AM »
Aye Steve,

"Yar box looks in poor kelter t’me, Bor!" or "Aye, tha's a saire fecht they gears a bin hevin'!" or "They's well knackered pal!" take your pick.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  Did yur bearings survive the mayhem and how much shrapnel went through the oil pump?

As for the "research", I'm no going there.  ;)  ::)  :-X  Been up on the roof scrapin' the moss off and managed to give the wrist gip, so light duties on the spannering etc. However, doesn't stop a bit of beach combing and general loitering, along with some berry picking for the freezer. Maybe give Sally a canter if the weather drys up a bit, though we didnae get as much heavanley fireworks as others to the south and east of us.

Drop us a PM/email if you need anything in the rebuild and I'll take a looksee.

Good health and my regards, Bill

Steve Lake

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2018, 12:12:02 PM »
Cheers Bill, hope the wrist clears up soon.... will keep you posted on the shenanigans in the workshop.... work halted in that dept at present, swmbo has decreed external painting is for good weather, bike/workshop stuff is for when it's not :-(.

currently praying for rain  :)

pip pip

themoudie

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2018, 06:03:11 PM »
Oh!  :-\  We've done the outside painting and moved onto the roof, the latter I'm still able to do, but the tendons have said nuff! I tend to be a bit grass hopper, with these things.

It's now "persisting" heavily, so I'll try to reverse the flow down to you. #6 far higher priority.  ;)

For exterior wood Sadolin 'Superdec', as used on those beach huts does a good job and goes on nice and easy. Quicker than the gloss paints etc. but the price makes my eyes water a bit, but that stuff that supposedly "Do what he say on the tin", aint worth a squit!  ;)

Good health, Bill

Steve Lake

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2018, 08:59:23 PM »
so far so bad, as they say....  no discernible markings or damage to any of the gears, no swarf in the bearings, everything runs smoothly no 'notchyness' atall....., so all good there.
the oil pump is a different matter.... badly scored, I have to assume this happened immediately after the gears disintegrated.
I removed the strainer tray, which although it looks as though the base can be 'sprung' off, it doesn't , so got pretty much mangled by the time I had got it off, the fine strainer mesh inside had done an excellent job of retaining most of the swarf, but the mesh is spot welded to the tray, so it looks as though i'll be buying a  new strainer & pump.... or .....

I could use the strainer from the 400 engine, and the pump.... both identical, and the pump is virtually unmarked.... dilemma....
I know I always say... if you're splitting an engine for any reason, change the oil pump...  ...... I have another pump that I bought off fleabay a while back, but not as good as the 400 pump... decisions decisions

yes Bill, I agree, worth the extra for sadolins.... the other stuff is gnats pee!

one bit of info I do need.... what is the best 'goo' to use when I bolt up the cases?
pip pip

themoudie

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2018, 12:35:59 AM »
Bit late/early now Steve, but will contact re:"goo" ASAP later this morning. Now gone out, it is still persisting! ???

Was using Honda's finest (Liquid gasket 1216), but it has gone "Off", so used another and cannot remember the name (Loctite MR5922). Being an anorak about these things I use cheap small artists brushes to apply the "goo" rather than a muckle finger, but that is me being judgemental of your fingers and their dexterity!  ;)

N.B. Strainers are no longer available!  :(  Copied from Fowler's website at 01:13am!

" STRAINER ASSY. 5Y1Y134C00 Replaces 5Y1-W1343-00 THIS PART IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE "

Suggest a blether with Martin at Slipstream to see if the XT660/MT03 strainer (STRAINER COMP. 5VK-WE343-00) will fit? However, this is on 'backorder' and at £47.47 inc VAT, but + P&P from Fowlers at present.

Off to "Sheet alley!"

My regards, Bill

themoudie

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2018, 07:41:30 AM »
Aye Steve, I hope the garbled reply makes sense, it was 01:15am this morning!  ::)  If in doubt, give us another message or email.

Regards, Bill

Steve Lake

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2018, 04:30:12 PM »
cheers Bill, yes made lots of sense actually.... lucky I have 4 x 400 bottom ends, and an xt600... so should be able to sort out a strainer, also it looks like the mz uses the same casings... so might look at that route.
so tomorrow it will be bite the bullet time and off to Tinklers with shopping list and well worn debit card.....

blummin heatwave here again.... wonder if it'll hold for the 'classic' TT ?

pip pip

themoudie

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2018, 11:03:53 PM »
Aye Steve,

Maybe the way to go with the strainers, will be to reverse flush with paraffin and then give a reverse blast with a good airline (NOT THAT IRISH LOT!).  ;)  The amount of fine cloth lint along with metal swarf in the XT600E strainer was fierce, it being over ⅔rds full when I pulled it apart. NO! I don't know what had been used to clean the dip stick!  :o

The MZ and the XT660 cases will be one and the same, will they not? Certainly the SZR660 strainer is now " STRAINER ASSY. 5Y1Y134C00 Replaces 5Y1-W1343-00 THIS PART IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE"; Fowler's tonight at 23:52pm. The XT660R uses a different strainer as in previous post, but Tinklers maybe able to advise? I note that 100 x MT03 oil strainers @£47-47 exceeds the purchase price of a brand new MT03 from Tinklers by a 'monkey'!  ::) ::) ;)

'Nough from the sad o' and look after the moths tomorrow.  ;)  Shouldn't you be paintin' anyway? ;D

My regards, Bill