Author Topic: Yamaha SRX400/600 size  (Read 503 times)

Stuebydoo

Yamaha SRX400/600 size
« on: May 22, 2018, 12:54:18 PM »
Hi guys,

Wondering if anyone can give me a bit of advice about this.

I'm 6ft3, however I have a desire to have a SRX. I believe the seat height is 30"? Is this going to be too small for me?

I've seen a nice SRX400 for sale, but it's the other end of the country so viewing before buying might not be too easy. I'm also an inexperienced rider so looking more at the 400-600cc range of bikes, don't want anything too scary to start out with.

CrazyFrog

Re: Yamaha SRX400/600 size
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 01:40:19 PM »
Hi and welcome.  :D

I've no experience of the SRX range myself, however, this site is useful if you haven't seen it before.

http://cycle-ergo.com/
2023 Royal Enfield Meteor 350
2021 Honda CB125F

Stuebydoo

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 04:23:44 PM »
That's a great website thank you. It makes me feel a bit more comfortable with that compared to other bikes I have owned or sat on.

themoudie

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 12:11:12 PM »
Aye Stuebydoo,

Welcome to the forum.

I've ridden an SRX 600 for the best part of 16 years now. Current machine (Sally) has McCrane footrests that are set further back and higher than the standard footrest position and standard clip-on bars mounted on the stanchions above the top yoke. I'm 6'2" in socks and weigh in at ~13½stone. However, I was up to nearly 15 stone at one point and still fitted fine. There is no size difference between the 400 and 600 twin shock model frames. However, there are different wheel diameters that do affect the seat height. I am renovating a butchered SRX Monoshock 400, with XT600E motor fitted at present and this has 17" diameter wheels front and back and also a different frame and ride height. Again there is no difference in the frame/seat/bars relationship between the 400 and 600 monoshock models.

On both frame types I can get my feet flat on the deck, a touch of "numb bum" after 150 - 200 miles and the bars could be raised an inch or two if you are doing a lot of riding below 50mph. Sightseeing! ;)  Above this the wind pressure lifts the weight off the wrists, for me.

The 400 motor has plenty of power, yet may lack some of the torque of the 600. It is a smoother running motor and more economical mpg, but hardy, providing you warm it through afore large throttle openings. DO NOT 'PLONK' these motors!!!! ???  They may be called "Thumpers", but they are not long stroke singles like AJS/Matchless, Norton ES2/19S, Panther 100/120, they like to be revved and sitting in a high gear 'plonking' about will knock the bearings out of the motor and especially with the 600 engine shred the 5th gear/pinion pair! :(  This requires a complete engine strip, rebuild, with new bearings, gear/pinion pair, oil pump, seals and anything else that you may find worn. This may cost £1,000 + labour, if you entrust it to somebody else!  :o  Plenty of clean semi/synthetic 10/40 every 2,000 miles/3,000Km and a filter change every 4,000 miles/6,000Km, should keep the motor in good fettle. Sally is now up to 120,000Km, with a complete strip and rebuild 70,000Km ago.

The bikes are slim, very maneuverable and the monoshock is said to have an improved ride over the twin shock, but I have yet to experience this. The Koni's on Sally I have found to be very compliant.

Another word of warning is to check for welding/fibreglassing around the base of the petrol tank 'panniers', especially on the lefthand side as this is where condensation or degrading ethanol lie and rot the bottom out of the tanks. Replacements are available, from Japan, repair is not cheap and if there is any sign of rustiness in the fuel or tank after giving it a good shake, look for a substantial discount or elsewhere.

There are others on here who will no doubt add their twopence worth  ;) and you can also try entering "SRX" in the 'Search' box in the top right hand of the forum screen, when you are in the various pages of the forum. Another site you should visit is SteveH' website: SRX600_Homepage

On Steve's website you will find a host of useful articles, parts microfiche etc, along with a rake of images from all over the world of SRX's.

If you have any further queries or just want to look in from the side, enjoy the forum.

Good health, Bill

Ian

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 10:22:52 PM »
I don't think I can add much to Bill's very comprehensive guide to the beautiful and well made SRX.

Ian ☺️
1 SRX 1 C400X -2 thumpers

timbo

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2018, 09:37:02 AM »
Yes, between Bill, Steve, yourself Ian, and a few others on here, there is some serious knowledge on here about these great bikes! Which is exactly why this forum is so good, and long may it continue  :)
Namaste

SRXpatriate

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2018, 10:26:07 PM »
I agree, excellent guide by Bill.

Definitely insist on test ride and any gear box trouble as described by Bill should be relatively easily identifiable. Listen out for howling or unusual noise at lower revs when running in 5th gear, but also in 4th or even 3rd gear as these gear pairings also suffer from pitting, especially in higher mileage engines.

With regards to bike size, Bill is correct about the monoshock model having a lower seat height. Being about 6ft in height myself, I found this noticeable. I found the older twinshock model in standard trim with 18 inch wheels more comfortable size wise. However, twinshock model is kickstart only, which may be a disadvantage for a more inexperienced rider.

Bill is also correct when stating that the later monoshock model offers an improved ride, however it does benefit greatly from fitting an aftermarket rear shock absorber because the standard unit is easily overworked and holds back the rest of the vastly improved
chassis.

Rene

Steve Lake

• Dyslexics have more nuf
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2018, 08:54:42 PM »
Yup, Bill was first & best on this one (as usual  :) ), couple of things to add to the mix.... my #1 srx (as it was my first purchase/rebuild) is currently laid up in the hospital with the '5th gear grenade' sickness, the reason I mention this is, it went with no warning, no noise, nothing..... just crunch crunch crunch ... no forward momentum.....
so, you might be buying a minter, but you never know how well it's been treated in the past.... mileage and service history are good indicators... the plus side is... it's not the end of the world if the gearbox does go.... can be repaired (I'm in the process right now)..... there are people who can do a good job (slipstream come to mind)....
I'm no fan of the monoshock (I have one, tricked up as a track bike) ... I prefer the bigger wheels and lighter (much) frame of the twinshock, you are limited a bit on tyres for the 18" wheels, but I find Bridgestone battleaxe BT45's more than adequate for dry/wet/ and a bit of fun on trackdays.
good luck with your purchase... keep us all posted

Ian

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2018, 12:22:29 PM »
The later model  twin shock models (3HU1 & 2NY) also have 17" front wheels with a single floating disc so have a wider range of tyres available.
1 SRX 1 C400X -2 thumpers