Author Topic: Importing a bike  (Read 1552 times)

timbo

Importing a bike
« on: August 02, 2017, 12:16:37 PM »
I recently purchased an Armstrong MT500 from southern Ireland. The bike had previously been a UK bike with a UK reg, so I thought I might just get away with applying for a new V5C, as this has worked in the past.
Unfortunately this time I didn't get away with it, and received a letter stating that the bike had been exported, and so I would have to re import it and apply for a reg. So here's the simple guide to the process.

First you must declare the bike with HMRC through the NOVA process. This is all done online, and you are notified straight away if there is any duty to pay. I have never had to pay any duty, but that might be down to the age/value of the bike. This process will give you a NOVA ref number, and you need to print off the resulting NOVA form. Be aware, you must declare the bike with HMRC within two weeks of purchase, or they will fine you £5 per day.

Second, you need to request a V55/5 form from DVLA online. This will come with a load of instructions. It looks complicated, but isn't, as most of the sections do not apply.
You will also need the bikes registration document from the EU country you have imported the bike from. If you don't have this, then I am afraid you will need a dating certificate for the bike, from either an owners club, or the manufacturer.

The bike must be MOTd, which you can do on the frame number.
Only if you live in NI, you must also provide proof of insurance. Whats that all about, as you don't need it if you live anywhere else in the UK  >:(
You also need two documents to prove who you are. They give you a choice, but I just sent a photocopy of my marriage certificate, and a recent bank statement.
Then there is the cost! You need to send a cheque for £55 for the registration fee, and also you must apply to tax the vehicle, in my case £34.10 for six months.
I also included a short letter asking if I could be issued with the bikes previous UK reg, as its still on there system, plus I have a number plate that came with the bike.
Then post the whole lot off, and hope for the best  :-\
I assume, I can ride the bike on its southern Irish reg until the DVLA issues me a UK one, as the bike is now MOTd and insured on the frame number, and tax is applied for from 1st August  :)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 09:45:27 PM by timbo »
Namaste

Ian

Re: Importing a bike
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 09:30:27 PM »
Many thanks for that Tim. I will need this info as I now have an import that will need to be registered as soon as I have finished  "improving" it.
Ian 🙂
1 SRX 1 C400X -2 thumpers

timbo

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 11:02:11 AM »
When they ask you in the NOVA process when you purchased the bike, make sure you give a date within the previous two weeks, to avoid the £5 per day penalty. HMRC won't know any different anyway  :)
Namaste

Ian

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 08:19:17 PM »
Thanks for that Tim. My bike is already on the NOVA system and I have a certificate of duty paid..... pheww 😁

timbo

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 04:47:41 PM »
The process I've listed above must work, as my V5C arrived today from DVLA. Also, as a bonus, they returned my cheque of £55, so the whole process just cost me the price of six months tax, which I'd have to do anyway. I can only put this down to the bike being on the DVLA system already, as it was previously a UK bike before going to southern Ireland  ;)
Namaste

timbo

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2017, 01:42:16 PM »
What a palava! Just spent two hours with my good mate Barry importing his 1965 Polish Army K750 Dnepr through the NOVA process online. Then sorted out everything he needs to produce for the DVLA to get the bloomin thing a UK reg. Ah, well, its all experience and hopefully I can help anyone else through this over complicated fiasco of a process in the future  ;)
Namaste

Ian

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2018, 12:23:54 AM »
Tim,
Did you need a CoC (Certificate of Conformity) or (IVA) Individual Vehicle Approval Certificate to register any of the vehicles you have been involved with?
Ian

timbo

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2018, 07:31:55 PM »
No, as they have all been standard models of bikes, not one off/home builds. If you are filling in the V55 form, these sections, along with many others, won't apply 😀
Namaste

Ian

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2018, 06:08:12 PM »
Hi Tim, gave DVLA a call to clarify a few things, very helpful person on the phone. I have now sent all documents off and hope for a positive result....we shall see

Ian :-)

stogadog

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2018, 09:38:51 PM »
I'm just starting the process with my GB250. Someone told me that the DVLA can inspect bikes from time to time and if they the bike isn't original enough they might not issue an age related plate but a Q. Might be something to think about before "improving" your bike too much! Or - might be just scaremongering nonsense I was told. I'd be interested in knowing how long it all takes.

timbo

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2018, 12:56:12 PM »
I think that is right. They can ask to see your bike.
Namaste

stogadog

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2018, 06:40:27 PM »
Yep. I got my dating certificate back today from the VJMC and the information with it says to send along a couple of pictures of the bike and engine and frame number. Apparently this makes it less likely that Mr DVLA will want to inspect the bike.

Ian

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2018, 02:43:00 PM »
Had my First Registration rejected  :( . This was due to D&K not completing the VIN number on the NOVA system correctly (They omitted a zero at the beginning of the numbers contained within the VIN number)
Lesson learnt now....ensure all numbers including zeroes are identical on dating letters/receipts/export certificates/insurance documents and MOTs
I had to get in touch with the PTU arm of the HMRC (very helpful people actually) who actioned my request within the 4 day period that they said they would. I have now sent back my application to DVLA (with fingers and everything else crossed) again....will let you know how I progress.

Thanks to both the DVLA and HMRC for being very helpful whenever I have contacted them.

Ian :)

Ian

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2018, 01:14:25 PM »
Registration successful 😀
V5c  arrived before the paperwork to tell me the actual registration number!

themoudie

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2018, 09:40:07 AM »
Good stuff Ian, all the best.

Regards, Bill