Author Topic: Points Problems  (Read 479 times)

timbo

Points Problems
« on: September 09, 2017, 09:08:33 PM »
Out on a club run today on the 1953 RE J2, and bike starts to run rough, and becomes increasingly difficult to start. With the help of some knowledgeable folks, we tried to reset the points gap, which appeared to be very wide. Discovered that the adjustable part of the points, the threaded bit with a lock nut,  wouldn't adjust properly. Turns out this tiny screw had stripped the female thread from the alloy points block. Set off again, and all was good, but soon deteriated back to sh1t, as the points worked loose again. Limped home with a very poorly running machine  :(
Will contact Hitchcock's on Monday, but just wondered had anyone any advice? Could I maybe try drilling and tapping out the points block?
Oh, and the alloy throttle body disintegrated into tiny pieces as well   :(
Namaste

themoudie

Re: Points Problems
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 09:47:16 PM »
Aye timbo,

Remove alloy points block and replicate in steel! "Cheese" is not the best material for retaining small BA threads at the best of times and even worse for the "wee tweek" for luck!  ::)   ;)

Sounds as though the "alloy" throttle body was more like zinc 'pot metal', more expense, but Amal or Surrey Cycles will have something to suit, maybe even Wassell Ltd, as they are still on the go as well. All three respond with websites if name put in your favourite search engine.  ;D

Hope you find some suitable bits.

A 230 mile jaunt today down to the Costa del Clyde via "The Rest" and an excellent double Stornaway black pudding roll at the stall in the car park at the top of "The Rest"!  ;D ;D ;D

Good health, Bill

iansoady

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 11:06:43 AM »
You should be able to go to the next size - eg 4BA to 3 (or maybe even 2).
Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958(ish) Grumph.....

timbo

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 03:02:22 PM »
So Hitch*******'s to the rescue, yet again. Brilliant parts books on line, and clutch cable, throttle assy etc straighten off the shelf and on its way. As for the points block, its on its way to David Lyndsley in Leominster for him to fettle it to a better than new standard, ie helicoil it, and new points. And a vintage magneto spanner off eBay last night for £1.99  :)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 03:03:59 PM by timbo »
Namaste

SteveC#222

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 04:10:14 PM »
Don't know if it's of interest Tim, but there is an 'electronic' ignition unit made by Velleman which uses the original points as a switch but doesn't cause wear on the contacts. You have to disconnect the condenser, but you can retain it so that you can convert back to original points system in minutes if needed. The benefits are better starting running and fuel consumption and it is available for 12 and 6v systems. I had one on my MZ and it worked really well.  It fits with 4 wires but you have to construct the unit yourself from a box of electronic bits but I managed it and I'm useless at electrics. Only £12! - Maplins use to sell them.

http://www.velleman.co.uk/contents/en-uk/p199.html
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 06:41:39 PM by SteveC#222 »
Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!

timbo

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2017, 08:29:17 PM »
Thanks for that  :)
Namaste

iansoady

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 08:57:31 AM »
I had a similar device (made by Boyer) on a Triumph unit 500 and it made starting and idling much better.

Velleman have some fascinating kits and I have a few that I've picked up in sales waiting for me to have enough interest and spare time to build them.
Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958(ish) Grumph.....

timbo

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2017, 05:22:50 PM »
When i had the breakdown that involved my points being loose on the end of the magnito, my mate produced a magnito spanner out of his pocket, and we tried to set them. I had never seen a magneto spanner, and thought, 'what a useful piece of kit.' So, that night of course, i was straight onto the old fleabay for a nosey, and now i have a nice little collection and a wee piece of history. All four were bought for no more than a couple of pounds, but i reckon ive enough now  :-\

[attachment deleted by admin]
Namaste

iansoady

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2017, 09:20:39 AM »
I have some like that but they never seem to fit the nuts on my mags......
Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958(ish) Grumph.....