Author Topic: XBR speedo / rev counter glass removal  (Read 332 times)

welland99

XBR speedo / rev counter glass removal
« on: January 03, 2017, 12:02:36 AM »
The glass on my XBR speedo and rev counter is dusty in the inside, and I'd like to clean it somehow.  Is it possible to (easily) remove the glass for cleaning?  I have tried turning the chrome bezels with my bare hands, but they don't seem inclined to move.  I haven't tried using any tools as yet, because I don't even know if they are meant to turn. 

Has anybody else done this?

500 T C

Re: XBR speedo / rev counter glass removal
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 07:25:39 AM »
               the bezel is crimped on, can be eased off  with a bent broad bent ended screwdriver blade.

CrazyFrog

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 11:05:35 AM »
I've done this many times and the problem is always getting the bezel crimped back on. Without a lathe and some special tools to press the bezel back down as the speedo body is slowly turned, the only method I've ever got to work is to methodically work round the bezel, pressing the edge down with a wide blunt flat screwdriver. It pays to do two initial 'crimps' on opposite sides to centralize the bezel and then work slowly round. The bad news is that there will always be tell tale marks to show that this has been done. It's only obvious if you look closely, but if you can't live with this then the only other option is to use a professional instrument restorer, but that won't be cheap!

HTH.
2023 Royal Enfield Meteor 350
2021 Honda CB125F

booxbr

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2017, 06:15:59 PM »
I removed one of mine as the blue lens for the high beam was floating around inside the clock .As you say you  can never get it back to as it was,if you look at mine the gap between the clock surround ,rubber and chrome rim is different to the one that has not been taken to bits .If it's not that bad live with it .

welland99

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2017, 09:52:34 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  I think I'll carry on living with it! :-\
If any of the bulbs should ever need replacing, do they come out through the front (glass off) or the back?  Mine are all working OK at present. 

mthee

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2017, 11:36:16 PM »
This from the manual; remove instrument cover screws and you're in. I'm living with misted tacho in the current cold snap, so this has been an interesting thread to me, ta.

Fear of the unknown does not mean the unknown needs to be feared

timbo

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2017, 12:12:07 AM »
I've recently taken the cover off the speedo on a Minsk, for similar reasons, including removing a spiders web, and to paint the rusty bezel  :-\
On it, all i had to do was prise up a few  tabs, then bend them back again when I refitted it. A five minute job. Ah, the joys of very basic motorcycles  ;)
Namaste