Author Topic: Xbr500sj cam install  (Read 416 times)

Clubman44

Xbr500sj cam install
« on: December 05, 2016, 03:01:20 PM »
Hi everyone I have just joined the forum, however I have been lurking for some time, I need a bit of advice on my Xbr500sj on the cam installation I have fitted a new cam chain and can see how to set the timing but I think it's possible to install the cam 180 degrees out, also the cam bearings are sealed on one side do the seals both face outwards.
Many thanks in advance,
Regards Rod

iansoady

Re: Xbr500sj cam install
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 03:41:14 PM »
Funny you should say that.....

Many years ago I had to have a rebore and new piston on an XT500. I'd screwed it all back together when I realised that it was firing on the wrong TDC......

Rather than take it all apart again I worked out a way of rotating the points (or was it Hall effect sensor?) plate through 180 degrees so restored equilibrium.
Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958(ish) Grumph.....

SteveC#222

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 10:12:30 PM »
Welcome to the forum!

If you PM me your email address I can send you the relevant section from the workshop manual if that will help.
Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!

welland99

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 10:21:50 PM »
Hi everyone I have just joined the forum, however I have been lurking for some time, I need a bit of advice on my Xbr500sj on the cam installation I have fitted a new cam chain and can see how to set the timing but I think it's possible to install the cam 180 degrees out, also the cam bearings are sealed on one side do the seals both face outwards.
Many thanks in advance,
Regards Rod
Hi Rod,
How did you find the job of changing the timing chain?  Mine has an intermittent rattle, which I think is the timing chain, and I haven't yet decided whether to have a look inside the engine myself or ask someone to do it for me.  Is it a straightforward job for an amateur mechanic?  Have you any good photos or a procedure to share?  (I have got a workshop manual, but the diagrams are not all that clear)

Actually, the thing that puts me off more than anything is the thought that I think my valve seals need replacing - and I'm not very much inclined to get the head off myself to get that done.  If I'm going to get somebody to get the head off to replace the valve seals, they might as well change the timing chain and/or tensioner at the same time. 
Peter

welland99

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2016, 10:25:12 PM »
Rod,
have a look at the photo in the thread named "cam chain rattle...." a few lines below this one.  This shows the camshaft bearings, so may answer your question about which way round to install the bearings. 
Peter

Clubman44

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 04:36:09 PM »
Thanks for all the help,from the pictures that Steve sent me, it appears all the cam lobes are facing down which makes sense as all the valves should be closed. The cam chain job is fairly straightforward however you need to remove the clutch basket, taking the head off is straightforward removing valves etc, with my head it was cracked from the plug under the exhaust valve seat and down the port for about an inch,had it welded up by a firm in Shropshire Motorcast they appear to have done a good job and reasonably priced, hope this helps.
Regards Rod

SteveC#222

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2016, 07:46:24 PM »
my head it was cracked from the plug under the exhaust valve seat and down the port for about an inch,had it welded up by a firm in Shropshire Motorcast they appear to have done a good job and reasonably priced, hope this helps.
Regards Rod

They all do that. Most of the time it doesn't cause any real problems.
Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!