Author Topic: Why SRX tanks need to be drained thoroughly!  (Read 3214 times)

themoudie

Re: Why SRX tanks need to be drained thoroughly!
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2018, 09:35:46 PM »
 ;D Just think of it as a rivetting exercise!  ;)  And you've temperatures of 12°C plus at the moment, whilst we have had nothing above 5°C for the past 3 days, with autumnal gloom to match, so you'll no get frost bite out in the workshop.

All the best, Bill

themoudie

« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2019, 01:46:31 AM »
The Mono now has over 200 Km on the clock after further runs this week, thanks to the "No bad" weather and dryish, with little salt on the roads.

I managed to drop the bike on my gammy leg, attempting a tight 'U' turn to return to a filling station I had just passed as it spluttered with fuel starvation! The engine cut out on the apex and with no forward impulsion, the bike and I toppled in a heap!  :-[  Silly old fool! However, my leg was under the bike and apart from a muddy and misaligned mirror, the bike is fine. I have a bruised shoulder and the gammy knee took the weight of the motor and is now a nice canary yellow!  ???

Today Kat and I took both the Mono and the Bros out, it was Kat's first run on the Mono. Gently, gently, but she enjoyed riding the bike and I think will get the hang of it. Arrived home and as usual when running a rebuilt bike in the chain needed adjusting, as did the head race bearings, just a tweek. If left, it would have pitted the races and whilst I don't mind the job, replacing them can get the air a bit "blue"!  ;)  Oil etc. OK and no other loose fixings or leaks. Touch wood!  :-X

Image attached of the pair of machines together and although they appear black, it is in fact a lovely dark blue metallic glaze over the top of a black base coat, with 6 coats of lacquer over the top. Pity the sun isn't shining to show it at its best.

Toodle pip, Bill

[attachment deleted by admin]

Moto63

« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2019, 07:25:46 PM »
Nice pair you have there Bill.... (ooo eerrr vicar) hope the legs mends up ok, take it easy.
Cheers, Michael

themoudie

« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2019, 10:05:27 PM »
Aye Michael,

Thank you for your compliment. As for the leg and shoulder; shoulder is improving as is the leg, a wee 2 mile walk today! But it reminds be that I don't bounce as I used to and need to keep centrifugal forces working for me rather than gravity taking over!  ;)

Good health and my regards, Bill

Steve Lake

• Dyslexics have more nuf
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2019, 07:44:26 AM »
couple of posers!! :) , even the backgound looks good ...  nice job there Bill ....  if i bring #1 up to you, i'll have the same job please.... maybe pick it up end of Feb??  :)..
pip pip

themoudie

« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2019, 01:04:49 AM »
Aye Steve,

Thank you for your compliments. No room in the workshop I am afraid, as #1 Duke (1974) is getting rebuilt and #3 Duke (1975) has been exhumed from the tea chests beneath the plastic cover for assessing! Asphalt Lake for cash!  ;)

As the weather was no bad and unseasonably mild today, Gert the Mono was out for another canter. About 80 miles and revs taken up to 4,500rpm for a short burst in 4th gear!

With an XT600E gearbox, using a gearbox sprocket of 15 teeth and a rear wheel sprocket of 41 teeth, same as when acquired, Gert appears to be over geared (17" rim with a BT45 tyre). Heading into a headwind (4, gusting 6) today caused problems and the step between 4th and 5th is really noticeable. Below 3,500rpm puts a strain on the chain, gearbox and the bottom end, you can "feel it"!  ::)  Also, the engine lacks tractability in 1st gear at low revs.  :-\   The standard gearing for an XT600E is 15/45 teeth. So, I will be investigating a 43 tooth rear sprocket in the near future and hope to find the "sweet spot" at that. I will report on the outcome later.

Toodle pip, Bill

themoudie

« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2019, 10:36:18 PM »
That's 1,100Km plus since the rebuild and the reduction in the final drive ratio, by increasing the rear sprocket size from 41 to 43 teeth has proved succesful (15:43 rather than the 15:45 standard of the XT600E).

The last run this week was a circular route including Auchterarder, Aberfoyle (tea, with steak & Stornaway black pudding pie), before tackling the Dukes Pass, then Strathyre, Lochearnhead, Comrie, Crieff and then home. About 110 miles in all; some of the roads are a bit rough, with gravel up the middle and a fair old bit of cow/mud near gateways and farmyards. But a grand wee run.

Final close up of the Mono attached.

Thank you for the encouragement to you all on the forum.

Bill

[attachment deleted by admin]

mthee

« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2019, 11:45:44 AM »
Great bikes those two, thanks for the lovely pics and sorry to hear that it was your bad leg the bike fell on. I don't suppose my wincing will be of any help to you!
Fear of the unknown does not mean the unknown needs to be feared

themoudie

« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2019, 02:34:20 PM »
Aye mthee,

Thank you for your compliments. As for my gammy leg, whilst acquiring it was not my doing, me dropping the Mono on it was all my own doing. After this past weeks cantering it appears to be healed, but definitely doesn't appreciate sideways pressure on the joint!  :-X  But, at least I can still swing a leg over the seat and kickstart a lumpy single!  ;D ;D ;D

Good health, Bill