Author Topic: Why SRX tanks need to be drained thoroughly!  (Read 3215 times)

Steve Lake

• Dyslexics have more nuf
Re: Why SRX tanks need to be drained thoroughly!
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2018, 02:13:08 PM »
yeah!!!... get them foto's published Bill  :D.....
I'm hoping to be in the same position with #1 by Christmas ( just not quite sure which Christmas).....
decided to follow my own advice and bite the bullet and lash out on a new oil pump .... but will reuse the oil strainer from the donor 400 engine.
what did you use on the crankcase faces Bill ?
pip pip

themoudie

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2018, 05:16:21 PM »
Aye Steve,

Was supplied with a tube of Honda Liquid Gasket 1216e (grey colour) and used it on everything. Apply to cleaned (brake cleaner) surfaces, with a small artist paint brush to obtain a thin even coat on both surfaces (same if a gasket is involved). A light film of oil on one face before applying gasket can make it easier to separate the two parts at a later date.

Have finally used Honda product up/last ¼ of tube has hardened, so have used Loctite MR 5922 (black colour) on some joints, with the same methodology. Similar properties (temp range etc) and readily available from Halfrauds. Seems OK.

Cheap artist brush packs from 'The Range' provide a good supply of suitable brushes at a cheap price, they are also good for cleaning in nooks and crannies.

My regards, Bill

themoudie

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2018, 09:35:07 PM »
The Mono ready for the MoT, fingers crossed I can ride it the 6 miles, without any teething gremlins!  ;)

Before and after images.

My regards, Bill

[attachment deleted by admin]

Moto63

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2018, 09:36:29 AM »
Lovely looking shed you have there Bill, bike doesn't look half bad too😉. Best o luck with the MOT
Cheers, Michael

themoudie

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2018, 09:46:32 AM »
Aye Michael,

That's no my shed Michael that was the vendors. Thank you for the compliment.

My regards, Bill

Steve Lake

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2018, 11:15:22 AM »
great job Bill... a proper BIKE, all bits married together nicely.... be interested in knowing how it rides
how's the MOT go ?
pip pip

themoudie

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2018, 12:44:27 AM »
No MoT today!  :(  I think and hope that Halfords 20/50W along with the assembly lube that I use proved too viscous. Stuck clutch plates that refused to 'free off' even with the lever and engine case adjusters screwed out way beyond any cable free play! Engine starts and runs nicely, so far, but any attempt to engage 1st gear brought everything to a rapid 'Halt'! Would have worn the ball and push rod out in very short order!  ???  So, side case off, Sod's Law the gasket decide to tear, another on order! Clutch dismantled and washed in brake cleaner and then lightly oiled with 10/40Wsemi-synthetic, ready for re-assembly.

When the 20/50 came out it looked remarkably free of "shiny bits", so hope I can get it right this time.

Bill

themoudie

« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2018, 09:12:04 PM »
Update on the clutch outer case gasket. OME gasket (XT600E) ordered rather than a 'pattern' and this has now been fitted. Having washed the clutch, oiled all the components with Morris' 10/40W semi-synth. assembled it all and then adjusted the pressure plate clearance. The latter is an absolute scunner, as the clutch acentuating lever, with it's pointer and the casting marker (part of the engine case) are buried beneath the starter motor!  ??? Shine light beneath starter, push the lever forward with a screwdriver, whilst tightening the small crosshead adjuster on the other side of the bike and then holding everything in place whilst nipping up the lock nut on the adjuster. Slainte, to my wife, for the extra pair of hands!  ;D

The OME gasket has an additional bead of sealant applied to the rear lower side of the gasket, this is where I had a pattern gasket blow through on Sally, with disasterous results, covering the whole of the rear of the bike in oil!  ::)  We will see what happens, but the extra couple of quid may give extra piece of mind. Image attached.

My regards, Bill

[attachment deleted by admin]

Steve Lake

« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2018, 09:47:56 PM »
life!!! bill.... gets in the way of plans..... hope it's all sorted

themoudie

« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2018, 11:00:53 PM »
It's no just life Steve! There is incompetence on my part in the whole sorry scenario!  :-[ :-[ :-[

Having rebuilt the clutch, installed the outer case etc and re-filled with 10/40W, the engine fired up lovely, warmed through, knocked the choke off and it settled to a steady 1,100 rpm tickover.

So, grabbed the clutch, engaged 1st gear and STOP, DEAD! Nothing! Ruddy electrikery with the sidestand switch!  :-[ :-[ :-[  I don't get it, so changed the wiring and "Hey presto!", engage gear and the engine continues to tickover, feed the clutch and off up the across the yard we go. Grab the clutch and everything does what it is supposed to, snick into neutral, release clutch, motor ticks over and all appears well, no wee leaks either.  ;)

Another call to my local MoT man on Monday and we will see how we go.

Now for a Duke 450 in the roof of the workshop!  :-*

#1 by Xmas?

Good health, Bill

Steve Lake

« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2018, 08:20:55 AM »
glad it's all sorted Bill, all the more pleasing when you get it fixed yourself (even if, as often happens with me, you happen to be the architect of the problem :-) )... just when you think you know it all, summat comes up behind you and bites you on the bum !!.
#1 by Christmas... nice idea ... but more likely to be Spring 19 to be honest....
pip pip

themoudie

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2018, 06:13:52 PM »
Aye Steve,

Set off from the house in the gathering gloom for an MoT at 16:00hrs, within 2 miles it was persisting heavily and then turned to sleet! :(  Arrived at the garage and greeted like a long lost bodach, with water streaming off me and the Mono. Half an hour later, after a few 'Beeps' of the horn, a couple of blips of the throttle and a whole lot of tugging, pulling and squinting down straight edges I was presented with a 'PASS' for the Mono.  ;D

The return canter in the dark to home was at a steady canter behind some cars, which held us back a bit, but with a clear sky (4°C). However, the engine revs up to 4,000rpm in all the gears and lopes along at ~60mph+ with ~3,500rpm on the clocks. Already given it a sluice with clean water and a blow-dry with the leaf blower to get rid of the crud, salt and water, before going back in the workshop.

We will see how it goes.

Toodle pip, Bill

Steve Lake

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2018, 05:24:01 PM »
good news Bill..... 10 out of 10 for flogging through the cr*p weather..... I'd be besides myself with grief getting the machine covered in cr*p on it's first outing.
pip pip

themoudie

« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2018, 12:53:13 AM »
Aye Steve,

The bike is rebuilt to use, not be pimped out and then gawked at, it's an SRX Mono with an XT600E motor in it and we'll have run out of petrol by the time I snuff it, so get on them and ride them. The youf of today don't get that pleasure unless they are really committed and with the driving skills of many on the road at present, you need to be committed! ???

My mate was round for a blether and tea today after a 3 hour canter in the rain, on flooded roads riding a BMWF650 that has been the length of the Americas and it looks clean and tidy beneath the usual road clart. Hose it down and then use the leaf blower to dry it off, before going into the house and getting your own gear off. The mug o' tea and maybe a nippy sweetie always taste better!  ;)

Good health, Bill

Steve Lake

« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2018, 02:02:16 PM »
You're right Bill .... I remember flogging back from the TT in 2000, got off the ferry at 10pm, by the time we cleared Liverpool it had started to rain .... got geared up under a bridge ....  rained all the way back to Norfolk  .....  #1 Son was on his morini, other 2 were on SRX's....  we stopped for fuel once ...
When we got home Son said 'and you used to do this all the time did you?'..... 'that was the worst ride of my life' !!  (admittedly the lights on the morini were the usual 1960's Italian rubbish, so he had to ride behind me and in front of the other 2).... my feelings were.... that was a good ride, everything worked well, no hiccups.... a cup of coffee with a 'splash'... and all was good.

will be hoping to complete #1 before the Christmas break.... you've spurred me into action  :)
pip pip