Author Topic: Why SRX tanks need to be drained thoroughly!  (Read 3271 times)

themoudie

Why SRX tanks need to be drained thoroughly!
« on: August 24, 2016, 11:41:05 PM »
Having removed the petrol tank from Gert (SRX mono, with XT600E motor) that already has a daubed resin repair on the lower left-hand side of the petrol tank!  :(

I then drained as much of the contents via the filler and the tank tap orifice, yet there remained a goodly quantity of liquid sloshing about!  ???

Using a 60ml syringe used to feed cholostrom to young weak and or sickly lambs, I then removed a further 250ml of liquid/sludge from the bottom of the tank.  :(  Unless you remove this stuff, due to the c**p design of 'form ruling over function' that Yamaha employed on this tank design, you will get rust holes in the bottom of the SRX tanks.  ??? At present the tank is soaking in a solution of kerosene based degreaser and boiling water, up to the filler neck.

Syringes are available from any good vetinary or agricultural suppliers; this is an example online advert: Re-usable_60ml_syringe_catheter

Further installments to follow!  ???

My regards, Bill

[attachment deleted by admin]

johnr

• Regular
Re: Why SRX tanks need to be drained thoroughly!
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 07:24:31 PM »
are you planning to seal it? ive had good results with por15, if you buy the full kit, it comes with a degreaser and rust remover to use before sealing it.

themoudie

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 08:10:12 PM »
Aye john,

It will need some protection, but there is some "hot work" planned afore getting that far and some new paint. I don't see the point in making good the tank and retaining the fundemental design flaw to ruin all the graft. I will keep progress posted, but as you say elsewhere, there is a "stock" to be dealt with!  ;)

My regards, Bill

johnr

• Regular
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 09:02:41 PM »
lol, aye, 'stock' to be sure!

themoudie

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 09:55:38 PM »
MMMMmmmmm! Compact and bijou, with multiple opportunities for advancement, or some such load of old codswallop!  ;)  Myford would be useful! 

Whilst, having more spacious accommodation, the ability to rapidly fill it, is one I try to resist.  :-X

I just need to look next door to see what a lifetimes accumulation of 'Grey Fergies' and associated implements can produce!  ::)  Spares are now arriving from the Emerald Isle!  :-X

I hope that you find "good homes" for all the "treasure"!

My regards, Bill

themoudie

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2017, 09:30:26 PM »
Thought I would resurect this for continuity sake, rather than anything else.

Having now removed the motor from the frame and stripped it to the parted crankcases, the effects of condensation and old oil in a motor are all too apparent!

A timing chain side main bearing, with at least 0.005" play in the races, slack lateral play and some movement in the vertical plane of the big-end bearing, an off-side layshaft bearing that can be made to lock solid when turned by hand with side thrust, an oil strainer half full of debris blocking the wire gauze filter, oil pump lobes that appear to have been nibbled by mice and the latest discovery of the 3 off-side mainshaft bearing retaining screws having been stud locked in place!  :(  Not even the air hammer gun has shifted them, let alone the impact driver and 2lb ball peen hammer! Heat will be applied, but I don't wish to add to my misery by warping the crankcase. The crossheads are looking secondhand; I think the left-hand drills in the pillar drill are going to have to do a turn!

Two images attached: crankcase strainer after prising open the cover and lifting the spot-welded mesh. The strainer contents including plastic film, stones, steel and aluminium flakes, cloth fibres, sealant and carbon.  :(  Hopefully I might be able to post a 'Smiley' in here soon!  :-\

My regards, Bill

themoudie

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2017, 09:33:24 PM »
Images of the main bearing/crank corrosion and sludge.

themoudie

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2017, 09:49:10 PM »
Assembled 'dry' crankcase - barrel stud. There have been several of these throughout the motor, but not sufficiently bad to be seized!  ???

Ian

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2017, 12:07:06 AM »
Sincere sympathies Bill. I now understand even more the dilemma you originally faced....Repair or replace. It just goes to show how bad an engine can be and still turn over, fire and work albeit not efficiently
My regards
Ian 😉
1 SRX 1 C400X -2 thumpers

themoudie

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2017, 09:26:34 AM »
Aye Ian,

It is not until you have the cases split and everything out that you really know what you have.

One small ray of sunlight was leaving the offside crankcase on top of the stove until a drop of spit boiled  ::) and then applying the blow torch to the back of the countersunk screws from the inside of the case. Then with a nice sharp small cold chisel, a 2lb ball peen and Kat holding the case to the bench with the oven gloves, all 3 were persuaded to slacken off, with no muttering or dark thoughts.

Now to construct the puller to push the crank and bearing out of the left-hand crankcase. I am not paying £68+ for one of Yamaha's finest! More to follow.

My regards, Bill

timbo

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2017, 02:03:55 PM »
Keep up the good work Bill and Kat. I'm forever calling for Alison to come out to the shed to hold something down, ooh er Mrs  :)
Namaste

themoudie

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2017, 02:25:44 PM »
OOOOH! You are a cheeky boy!  ;)

themoudie

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2018, 11:22:15 PM »
A wee postscript to this initial post about Gert, the Mono with the XT600E motor. This afternoon after much procrastination and the spending of a not inconsiderable sum of spondoolies, the Starter button was pressed and the motor barked into life!  ;D ;D ;D  However, I wasn't quick enough to nip up the bleed bolt on top of the oil filter chamber before a gusher had developed.  ::)  With ~300ml of green 20/50 sloshing about the floor, I stopped the motor, mopped up with plenty of sawdust, topped up the oil tank and then fired up again.  ;D  Sounded very smooth, with a right 'Bark' from the one-off stainless steel exhaust system purchased with the bike.

The tank, front mudguard and seat cowl have all been repaired, sprayed up with Honda PB184MU Granite Blue Metallic that uses black as the base coat. These have yet to have their fittings attached and then put onto the bike. However, I will post an image, but be aware that these are removed to save space on the Forum server after a while.

My regards, Bill

Ian

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2018, 12:45:19 PM »
Can't wait to see it Bill. I know what you have been through to get to this stage so I fully sympathize.
Best regards
Ian  :D
1 SRX 1 C400X -2 thumpers

Moto63

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2018, 03:34:35 PM »
Yes I too am also looking forward to seeing the photos Bill 👍... cheers, Michael