Technical > Project Progress

Why SRX tanks need to be drained thoroughly!

(1/8) > >>

themoudie:
Having removed the petrol tank from Gert (SRX mono, with XT600E motor) that already has a daubed resin repair on the lower left-hand side of the petrol tank!  :(

I then drained as much of the contents via the filler and the tank tap orifice, yet there remained a goodly quantity of liquid sloshing about!  ???

Using a 60ml syringe used to feed cholostrom to young weak and or sickly lambs, I then removed a further 250ml of liquid/sludge from the bottom of the tank.  :(  Unless you remove this stuff, due to the c**p design of 'form ruling over function' that Yamaha employed on this tank design, you will get rust holes in the bottom of the SRX tanks.  ??? At present the tank is soaking in a solution of kerosene based degreaser and boiling water, up to the filler neck.

Syringes are available from any good vetinary or agricultural suppliers; this is an example online advert: Re-usable_60ml_syringe_catheter

Further installments to follow!  ???

My regards, Bill

[attachment deleted by admin]

johnr:
are you planning to seal it? ive had good results with por15, if you buy the full kit, it comes with a degreaser and rust remover to use before sealing it.

themoudie:
Aye john,

It will need some protection, but there is some "hot work" planned afore getting that far and some new paint. I don't see the point in making good the tank and retaining the fundemental design flaw to ruin all the graft. I will keep progress posted, but as you say elsewhere, there is a "stock" to be dealt with!  ;)

My regards, Bill

johnr:
lol, aye, 'stock' to be sure!

[attachment deleted by admin]

themoudie:
MMMMmmmmm! Compact and bijou, with multiple opportunities for advancement, or some such load of old codswallop!  ;)  Myford would be useful! 

Whilst, having more spacious accommodation, the ability to rapidly fill it, is one I try to resist.  :-X

I just need to look next door to see what a lifetimes accumulation of 'Grey Fergies' and associated implements can produce!  ::)  Spares are now arriving from the Emerald Isle!  :-X

I hope that you find "good homes" for all the "treasure"!

My regards, Bill

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version