Author Topic: XBR Exhausts - sorry! I'm new.  (Read 2052 times)

Hornblower

XBR Exhausts - sorry! I'm new.
« on: March 27, 2007, 09:52:18 AM »
OK, this is probably a question that the regulars on this site have got tired of answering but I'm new to the club and I have checked back on previous posts and I can't find a definitive answer to the question: Is Predator the only company that makes an off-the-peg replacement exhaust for the XBR 500?

pigafetta

Re: XBR Exhausts - sorry! I'm new.
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 10:06:49 AM »
Hiya Matey,

I've seen em with microns on but I can't find em on't interweb. Does it have to be a 2 into 1? If not, Laser Exhausts do replacements. They look quite nice too.

DaveB.

Hornblower

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 10:10:39 AM »
Hi Dave

I spoke to a Laser stockist yesterday who reckoned that they had been discontinued. I don't mind whether it's a 2 in to 1 or not I'm  just looking to see if there's a cheaper option to the £300 plus Predator.

pigafetta

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 10:25:42 AM »
Hiya Mate,

Just been checking out David silver spares, He does the originals for £99 each. A pair of them is going to be cheaper than a Predator and I reckon they look nicer too.

Dave B

Hornblower

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 11:38:15 AM »
Sounds good, can you send me a link?

pigafetta

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 12:05:10 PM »

Hornblower

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2007, 12:59:33 PM »
Many thanks Dave.

H

SteveC#222

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2007, 06:11:31 PM »
you might want to check if you'll also need the exhaust collets too.... mine were well knackered when I changed my exhaust.  Dave Silver stocks those too.
Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!

Hornblower

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2007, 09:34:56 AM »
Just heard back from David Silver Spares that the XBR pipes are discontinued and they have none remaining in stock!!!!

pigafetta

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2007, 11:48:54 AM »
Oh bugger. The only other ones I've come across are the Lasers and the Predator. How about this...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Honda-XBR500-XBR-500-Exhaust-System_W0QQitemZ150065364217QQcategoryZ10460QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Doesn't look too pretty but its hard to tell from the photo.

Hornblower

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2007, 02:10:00 PM »
Funnily enough I have emailed the seller to check that it will fit my late model (1989) XBR. I have come unstuck before with second hand spares for the bike, things like indicators and clip ons are different on my model to the earlier models. My bike also has spoke wheels and it's not an import or a GB. The other question I have is would I notice a drop in power switching to a 2 in 1?

Thanks for all your help Dave.

Best wishes
H

guest7

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2007, 06:57:01 PM »
You have an XBR500SJ, the last model sold in the UK. This is the model with the auto decompressor on the end of the camshaft.

In every other respect it's identical to earlier XBRs, albeit the first models had different front indicator mountings.

In what way are your clip-ins different? I've had GBs and all the models of XBR and the only difference is that the GB clip-ons are slightly lower. Some of the clip-ons appear to be one-piece whereas others look like they are bolted together, but the dimensions are exactly the same. I'm guessing that as with the exhausts (early ones have a separate silencer and downpipe) the changes were made to save manufacturing costs. The items are still interchangeable.

Cheers
GC

guest27

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2007, 06:59:53 PM »
How about a set of Campbell deep chrome megas or the like?

R

guest7

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2007, 07:05:06 PM »
Slapping a set of loud pipes onto standard downpipes (the earlier ones were separate) makes for a glorious sound and banging the main jet up to suit (from 158 to 160ish) doesn't really increase the consumption much.

My Motad Stainless downpipes (2-1) have had a load of different cans added, such as reverse cone megas and Goldie pipes. Bloody marvellous :-)

Cheers
GC

guest27

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2007, 07:06:44 PM »
Mind GC it does look a mess with 14 different silencers all wired on together...

R