Author Topic: DR800 cafe racer  (Read 3801 times)

themoudie

Re: DR800 cafe racer
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2015, 11:13:21 PM »
Aye Mart,
Petrol tank mods?
Try these gentlemen, personally known and keen racers: SCRClassics

Have a view of their YouTube and Flickr account links at the bottom of their site for further insight into what they get up to.

This link shows you the bottom of the Duke 175 tank before restoration: Duke175_tank_before
This link shows you the bottom of the Duke 175 tank during restoration: Duke175_tank_during
This link shows you the restored Duke 175 tank: Duke175_tank_restored
This link shows you the restored Duke 175: Restored_Ducati_175_Silverstone

Enjoy the pics, even if you choose not to speak to Stu and Andy.

My regards, Bill

Moto63

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2015, 08:21:53 AM »
Morning Bill, the tank repair photo,s made for interesting viewing. I.m looking at doing some work on one of my XBR tanks but as my arm is still not functioning quite right after my accident I may just give these guys a call.  Thanks.... Michael
Ps......Mart...I just thought they were the latest version of the "upside down" fork ;) ;) ;) ;)

Dave#22

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2015, 07:23:14 PM »
Hi Mart, Glad to see you took the plunge.....looking good.
Dave.

themoudie

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2015, 12:08:03 AM »
Aye Michael,
My pleasure and I hope the soft tissue damage mends itself, time!  ::) And it waits for no man, I'm afraid.
Regards, Bill

Moto63

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2015, 09:09:43 AM »
Yes Bill, it's getting there thanks. Like you say give it time and I'm sure it'll be right. Patience was never my virtue. Unfortunately my bike came off worse than me hence my "wanted post" for an XBR engine. No luck as yet, so I'll keep looking.    Cheers....Michael
Ps.... My apologies to mart for "temporally" hi-jacking his thread.

Mart

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2015, 03:54:32 PM »
Thanks Bill that link may be useful as my Brother lives nearby in Cambridge so I could drop the tank of when Visiting sometime.
I'd prefer not to post it as my written instructions may not be very easy to understand.

Hi Dave , thanks for the encouragement I probably would not have begun without your input. having a new front wheel spindle made Plus spacers as the Honda forks are 20mm further apart than the Suzuki ones.
I commited to this venture by buying a wilbers rear shock whis is supposed to lower the back end by @ 2" [£440] ouch. Smaller rim on the front will take care of lowering that end too. It's really just getting someone else to do the technical stuff while I cut off all the unecessary lugs and bolt it all back together. I am concerned about doing away with the oil cooler as you have done. Has it caused you any problems?

I am aware that when I have finished it will have cost more than the bike is worth but as I don't intend to sell it that won't be a problem.

themoudie

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2015, 10:42:47 PM »
Aye Mart,

Could you make up a cardboard or plywood pattern of the underside shape you require?

My regards, Bill

timbo

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2015, 11:33:18 AM »
Hi Michael, I think that XBR tank you got off me will need a similar amount of work to the Ducati one featured  :-\ Still, nothing ventured, nothing gained  ;)
Namaste

Moto63

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2015, 04:37:36 PM »
Hi Tim, yes mate I started doing a bit on it, it's like tissue paper in places. To use the phrase "wafer thin" is defo not an exaggeration!!   However it's going to be worth the effort (I hope) once it's finished, de seamed and with a weld in flush fitting fuel cap installed it shud look pretty smart so thanks again for sending it over. I'll try my best to Suss out how to post a photo or two once it's finished.......cheers ...Michael
ps
Stick with yours Mart, it'll defo be worth all the hard work I'm sure. Really looking forward to following your progress.....

Dave#22

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2015, 06:39:45 PM »
......I am concerned about doing away with the oil cooler as you have done. Has it caused you any problems?.......

The short answer is no. I think that without the plastic crankcase guard, there is a lot more surface area for the oil to be cooled, as it is a wet sump (2.6L), so I replaced the cooler with a braided hose to suit the style of the bike.
I've done a good few thousand miles on it since it was built and also did the MotoPiston Picos (including the 5000 curves) meet last year in Northern Spain covering over 1000miles without any issues.
Dave.

Mart

« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2015, 08:54:37 PM »
Thanks Bill,
I've been thinking a cardboard pattern would be needed anyway whether I see whoever is going to do the work or not. It is always good  to discuss requirements in person though I think.

Hello Michael,
I used dropbox to post my pictures. It seemed pretty straighforward once tech support [No.1 son] showed me how to do it.

Thanks Dave,
I think I will probably follow your example. If it works for you it should for me. also it means less work and a cleaner looking appearance.

johnr

• Regular
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2015, 12:40:29 AM »
this project has ascinated me and inspied me to start digging out my own dr big project bike thats sat abandoned at the back of my shed for nearly 5 years now! as for the oil coolers, they arent really needed most of the time, i think they were added for the look more than anything else and perhaps more for the likelyhood of the bikes overheating in traffic rather than needing cooling when being pasted flat out down the motorway.
anyhow, theyre a stonking engine, and unless youve owned one, you wont believe how unlike a single their power delivery is. you cant plod these engines, they are designed to be pasted like a multi cylinder engine.

themoudie

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2015, 01:01:02 AM »
Aye johnr,

With oversquare dimensions like these "Bore x Stroke, 105 x 90 mm." I'm not surprised they like the revs. Same as all Jap singles and Ducati singles, rev it!  ;)
There is likely to be little torque below 2K - 2½K, although Sally will wiffle along with about 2K on a light throttle in a middle gear, don't ask her to accelerate, the mechanical mayhem is obvious to all but an ignorant mechanical ear.  ::)

Enjoy the extraction and rebuild.  ;)

My regards, Bill

Propellor

« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2015, 08:59:44 AM »
I like custom builds so I'll be watching progress. Good luck that it all turns out how you want. Look forward to seeing the finished result.

Regarding the oil cooler. Weren't Suzuki into using the oil to cool the piston and maybe the combustion chamber area? I don't know if this bike is such a design?  If so, wouldn't this put "direct" heat into the oil. Could it be that the cooler comes into its own if the bike is held at full power for a sustained period? More likely in a competition setting. Dunno. Just guessing really.  ;)

Bill, I don't know which bike takes the honours for most oversquare. But I reckon the Ducati panigale might be it?

112x60.8 !!    :o
BEIGE is all the rage

Dave#22

« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2015, 09:32:51 AM »
Yes, they are an oil/air cooled motor. There is a direct oil jet from the crank supply to the underside of the piston, but being a roller/ball bearing engine, they only run very low oil pressure.
John is right, they are a lovely engine, so smooth (the 750 is best IMHO) with twin balance shafts and plenty fast enough to keep up with more modern bikes.
Dave.