Author Topic: SRX Head stripping in the frame? Follow on to 'Levers' woes!  (Read 1556 times)

themoudie

SRX Head stripping in the frame? Follow on to 'Levers' woes!
« on: August 02, 2006, 09:10:30 PM »
Andy, I know this ain't cosha, but probably the best place to put the reply, below the previous mails 'Cut&pasted'!

Quote from: themoudie on August 01, 2006, 11:40:36 PM
Nothing for it but a strip in the frame, yes, it is possible and not difficult.

Quote from andy230 on August 02, 2006

Ok then guys, I'm also just about to join the "SRX headstrip Club" with regard to the 620.  Bill, I don't really want to drop the motor, is it ok to do it in the frame??  Yes, I know I should get it out, but space is limited, as is time, and I'm working the back of a van!

Thus the fewer separate items I have the better!!  Can it be torqued ok in the frame or is it a complete faff?  (Especiially these nuts underneath??)  I'll use new bolts (hi comp motor).  And I'm only doing this job once, mark my words, so it will be genuine everything!  I don't think Martin Sweet would talk to me again otherwise!!!

Cheers for now.  Good luck all.  I reckon ALL SRX owners should have a second bike.  And SRX racers should have a second motor!!

REPLY:

I had no real horrors with removing the head whilst the motor was in the frame.

Make sure the motor is as clean as you can get it , especially around the spark plug. Once you've drained the oil, stick the back end up on Halfords axle stands to keep it all stable, if you haven't anything else. My back protests unless and bits WILL fall off or roll unless you have the whole plot supported.

Have string or wire ready for tying the oil cooler out of the way and the cam chain so that it doesn't disappear in to bowels of the motor.

The front chain tensioner is a bit of a fiddle, but can be extracted forward from its working position before lifting the head.

All torqueing was done using 3/8 drive sockets rather than 1/2. The inverted dome nuts at the front and back are fiddly, but not impossible at a 'flat' at a time. Remember and anneal the copper washers before re-fitting. The inner central allan screw of the 4 retaining the carbs is also a tester but take a hacksaw to a key and shorten it to fit in the space.

Print out the relevant pages from the CD-ROM SRX manual or otherwise use the Clymer XT600 manual. If you need a pdf or scan, say so and I shall try to oblige.

I hope this helps and if possible have a trusted member of the Shite squad handy as a 'goffer' or 'pair of hands' if nothing else. Stick some Mozart on as well, or Classic radio, so you can swear at the sanctimonious twinky playing the music and chill to the music, all producing good vibes towards the engine job in hand! ;-0

You could even end up looking like the cool dude in todays photo 02/08/06 and he does it for a living!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers, Bill

andy230

Re: SRX Head stripping in the frame? Follow on to 'Levers' woes!
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 09:56:09 AM »
Brilliant Cheers Bill.

Draining the (new, expensive, almost unused) oil will pain me!!  (my god, I am SO mean!!)  But I'll get it on the paddock stands and see how we go.

Speak to y'all soon

a

Steve H

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006, 10:17:47 AM »
To Add to Bills comments, ALWAYS support the camchain when turing to motor over. Otherwise it will bunch up around the crank sprokets and knock the camchain tensioner casting off

themoudie

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2006, 06:41:57 PM »
Pleased to help Andy and yes, I forgot about the cam chain breaking the casting. Steve's misfortune was my gain as well.

As for oil, what do you run it with? Two schools of thought:-

Buy expensive oil for all the reasons given. How much is Mobil1 these days?

I use French Renault oil (BP) 10/40 semi-synthetic at ~£23-00 for 20 litres and change at 2500Km and filter every other change. John Wittman, whom used to race Ducatis and now resides in Espania was sponsored by Duckhams. The old green 20/50 was used and changed after every meeting. Many thought it cheap, but John's engines stayed together and always went well and he won the BEMSEE for his class in '78 if I remember right.

Maybe something cheaper and changed after every meeting might suit you better. What do 'Slipstream' have to say or are they selling you the oil?!! ;-)

Happy pork scratching! Bill

andy230

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2006, 09:04:39 AM »
Hey Bill,

I'm using Rock Oil 15w40.  I know its dear, but if Martin Sweet says so, then I'll use it!  Yes he is selling it, but he's probably got better ways of making money than ripping off skint racers!!

I trust him (enough) when he says that he's used other stuff, and suffered either clutch slip or gearbox failures, which he's attributed to the oil.  He said he got a lot of stuff "on-spec" and saw which engines went ka-boom, and apparently Rock Oil works....  As my engine keeps needing stuff done, it doesn't get used enough to get dirty!!

The road bikes get whats cheap, and is dropped regularly (ha!  so are they!!)

cheers.

andy

ps.  Anyone going to the Manx???

themoudie

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2006, 11:18:08 PM »
Aye Andy,

Rock Oil works I agree, just depends how tight the strings are!

Not Manxing this year, all the shenanigans about 'special' licenses from the ACU has made us put off and wait and see what developes. Hope you enjoy it. If Doug Snow is over, go and have a look at the 350 Duke with homemade 6 speeder. Nigel Lacey has a hand in it as well. Have a kipper and a pint 4 me as well in Peel.

Regards, Bill.