Author Topic: Final stage of the XBR build  (Read 2211 times)

timbo

Re: Final stage of the XBR build
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2015, 09:18:13 PM »
Thank goodness somebody knows what they're doing   :o
Namaste

Propellor

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2015, 10:50:13 PM »
The supercharger has to sit on top of the oil tank, I got rid of he starter motor a few years ago so that is not an issue. I wont be having an outrigger bearing on the end of the crank, I am trying to see if I can fit a pulley to the back of the alternator rotor, that means removing the flywheel from the back of it to give me clearance, if I cant I may remove the crank end alternator altogether and fit a small alternator behind the cylinder.
I cant get a straight run from the crankshaft to the supercharger as the frame is in the way so I might have to make a second pulley to move the  the drive further inboard through 2 shorter belts.
Its all very easy and straight forward in my head, its just the implementation thats the problem, and it has to be done with what I can make at home and what is easily and cheaply obtained off the shelf and adapted

I see the dilemma! A nice, juicy problem. I'm sure you'll overcome it and I look forward to seeing the result.

Edit: if you could just sneak a narrow as possible belt past the frame rail, would you be able to get your lower leg into position? Larger pulleys=narrower belts (and lower overhung loads). Would moving the pegs back to a more rear set style help? Larger pulleys=higher belt speed! A dilemma.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 10:58:13 PM by Propellor »
BEIGE is all the rage

Propellor

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2015, 07:14:04 AM »

....... I may remove the crank end alternator altogether and fit a small alternator behind the cylinder.

I cant get a straight run from the crankshaft to the supercharger as the frame is in the way so I might have to make a second pulley to move the  the drive further inboard through 2 shorter belts.

Using the alternator as the mounting for the intermediate pulley? Could work, with a stub shaft and outrigger maybe.

Although this setup increases side load onto the crank, as the first belt has to handle the torque of the alternator and blower combined.
BEIGE is all the rage

Moto63

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2015, 10:32:52 AM »
Really enjoying this thread, it,s good to see someone having a go at something different. (Yes I know supercharging is,nt a new concept but you all know what I mean) me n big bro have talked about supercharging something for quite a while now but still have,nt "got round to it" maybe joolz,s project might just give us the kick up the a....e we need, got a gs500 on the bench at the moment maybe that,d be a good starting point???  You up for the challenge Andy ??

Propellor

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2015, 06:13:51 AM »
Really enjoying this thread, it,s good to see someone having a go at something different.

......got a gs500 on the bench at the moment maybe that,d be a good starting point???  You up for the challenge Andy ??

Are you mad! Think of the hassle mounting it, coming up with a decent drive arrangement, to say nothing of fuelling it properly. Given our lack of experience with supercharging (zero!) we'd have to be wrong in our heads to attempt it.

Count me in! ;D
BEIGE is all the rage

guest564

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2015, 10:25:13 PM »
Could you lock the starter clutch and then run a shaft out in place of the starter and then take a belt up to the supercharger from there?

JOOLZ

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2015, 07:10:04 PM »
I thought about running from the starter clutch but realized the shaft would spin far too quickly and there would be problems gearing it back down again

guest1640

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2015, 01:36:18 PM »
Joolz, you keep on thinking outside the box mate. I've just logged on in what seems ages and looked for an interesting post and you've certainty hit the mark. A thought came to mind but I wasn't sure wether to voice it and show my ignorance. Do you think it would be possible to make a bracket to fit the starter motor hole and incorporate a shaft and bearings,seal to drive it off the starter gear, with the  other end with a serpentine belt to drive the blower?
Providing the blower is mounted separately with a sprung tensioner, It wont need to much horses to drive it and the response would have minimal delay. Bit of machining involved but I had thought of how it could be done and gave up...
Stu

JOOLZ

« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2015, 08:06:55 PM »
About to cut out the oil seal bearing carrier

[deleted to save space]

guest564

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2015, 08:06:59 PM »
That looks just like the plate I had on my racer with the Piranha ignition.

JOOLZ

« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2015, 08:27:24 PM »
Sounds interesting have you got a pic of the piranha set up

JOOLZ

« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2015, 06:03:44 PM »
Almost finished this part

[deleted to save space]

JOOLZ

« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2015, 02:50:19 PM »
It all seems to fit ok, now I have to work out how to take a supercharger drive off of it or do I relocate the alternator

[deleted to save space]

Oldtimer

• Where the hell has my life gone?
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2016, 01:26:55 AM »
Looking forwards to the next stage.
Mike
Honda XBR500
Norton/BSA Gold Star DBD34 special

JOOLZ

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2016, 06:32:28 PM »
A little bit more progress with the supercharger, XR cover fitted to the XBR engine, crank pulley positioned, and the top mounts done, This part of the project has been the most complicated so Im doing it in 2 parts, this year Im making and measuring things, next year will be engine modifications and fitting it