Author Topic: Tank sealer  (Read 797 times)

spooky

• Sunny Dumfries
Tank sealer
« on: June 20, 2022, 03:12:14 PM »
Any recommendations for sealing petrol tanks  ?  My Terrot is suffering and it really needs something better than nuts and bolts rattling around inside to loosen it...
Classic efi squadron blue, CG125, Terrot 125, CM200 sprinter,

Moto63

Re: Tank sealer
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2022, 04:46:47 PM »
Evening Mr Spooky. I used Por 15 tank sealer on the XBR tracker project bike. I’ve not actually run the bike as yet but did a “static” test with the tank full of petroleum spirit both before and after. Leaked before, didn’t leak after. Hope this is of some help 🤞
Cheers ..Michael

spooky

• Sunny Dumfries
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2022, 07:37:02 PM »
Sounds good, that POR-15 does seem to be the favoured product, does it come as a sort of `kit` with a pre  stage stuff then the product ?
Classic efi squadron blue, CG125, Terrot 125, CM200 sprinter,

Moto63

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2022, 08:48:59 PM »
Yes from memory (it’s about 2 years since I did mine) it comes as a three part kit. Cleaner/degreaser, metal prep, then the actual sealer. It took a while to do, again if memory serves me correct but it all did exactly what it said on the tin, so to speak. Like I say it definitely worked, I left my tank sat on some wooden blocks in my old works for about 5 days with some blue blotting type paper underneath it. Not the slightest drop came out 👍
Cheers, Michael

themoudie

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2022, 09:19:59 PM »
Aye Rufus,

Not used a home kit myself, but these are links that might help.

Frost_tank_repair_kits

Caswell_ethanol-proof-fuel-tank-sealer

Rust_fuel-ethanol-proof-tank-sealers

I had the SRX mono tank "professionally" coated after having several areas of pin holes welded up. The welding job was a bodge, the "finished ready to paint" finish was like Everest and the tank shape was deformed, the return packaging an insult, but the Red-Kote lining is still in place and no leaks to date. DO NOT USE Hartlepool Radiator Company!  >:(

All the best with whatever you choose to use.

Good health, Bill

mthee

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2022, 09:51:13 PM »
POR 15 sealed an old and very rusty cb200 tank which had a porous weld where the petcock was moved and a new bung added. Johnr recommended the 3 stage kit and it worked a treat, although I did put the bolts in and used electrolysis to shift the heaviest of the rust first. Miracle stuff, can't  go wrong.
Fear of the unknown does not mean the unknown needs to be feared

johnr

• Regular
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2022, 11:42:32 PM »
ive used por15 several times and its never let me down yet.

richardeblack

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2022, 02:03:30 PM »
I have a friend who used a system he said was brilliant. Rust remover followed by treatment and a sealer which he is very pleased with. I'll find out what it was and post it.