Author Topic: XBR 500 MODS  (Read 2615 times)

xbally

Re: XBR 500 MODS
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2014, 01:53:06 PM »
Thanks guys. I am not after a huge performance boost. A modest increase in low to midrange torque is all I want . I am lucky enough to have other bikes so I can use them to go faster. I just feel that a little bit of extra pep would make life on the XBR slightly more interesting. I totally get the well made points about the brakes and suspension upgrades to match as I'm going through the same considerations with my MG!The  XL600R CDI and change of gearing sound exactly the right place to start.If anyone can specify exactly what I need to get then i'll start there.Many thanks.
HONDA CB250RSA ROYAL ENFIELD CONTINENTAL GT535

JOOLZ

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2014, 02:17:42 PM »
Best mod, and best performance for your pound is to fit the XL600R barrel and piston. Please remember if you use the XL600R cdi you will not be able to use the electric start

xbally

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2014, 03:16:56 PM »
Thanks. I don't think I could live without the electric foot after all the years on Jap bikes. I used to have an Enfield Bullet 500 with an unreliable sprag clutch and that was a nightmare!

Moto63

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2014, 03:54:47 PM »
You,d be ok without the lecci start Martin , I,ve removed mine, mainly to save weight and it kicks over and sparks into life every time, no problem and that's with a high comp piston. Plus there,s something ever so "RETRO" about kicking it over.  Cheers. Michael

xbally

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2014, 04:14:32 PM »
Hmmmmmmmm!Not so sure about that Michael!Has anyone else removed the electric foot and how did you find it?Maybe I'm just an old wimp?

Propellor

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2014, 09:25:25 PM »
You,d be ok without the lecci start Martin , I,ve removed mine, mainly to save weight.........

Mad idea if you ask me.    :D

Edit:   ;D
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 09:28:11 PM by Propellor »
BEIGE is all the rage

SteveC#222

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2014, 11:01:27 PM »
Hmmmmmmmm!Not so sure about that Michael!Has anyone else removed the electric foot and how did you find it?Maybe I'm just an old wimp?

With the auto decompressor the XBR is very easy to kick over for a 500cc single BUT it is very handy to have the button when it does the XBR thing of stalling at tickover at traffic lights when you are at the head of the cue and the lights go green!

Out of curiosity how high do you rev it? with a big thumper it's tempting to change up at 4-5000revs but if you let it rev out a bit further in the 3rd/4th to 6000 + you'll find it has a nice little power kick near the top end of the revs.

Personally - while I have every respect for those who enjoy tweeking - I like the XBR as it is - a nice compromise of power/speed/reliability/rideability. Unless you really know what you are doing you can spend a lot of time and money and just end up with a lot of ball ache! .....been there, done that, had the empty bank account and ended up going back to standard set up!
Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!

Moto63

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2014, 07:30:11 AM »
Bloody hell where's the bulldog spirit in you all. "Mad idea" mmmm, We did,nt win a war by pushin lecci start buttons. LOL
Seriously tho, once I,d got used to the way I had to go about starting it (full choke when cold, then zero choke and one real swift kick when warm) she sparks into life virtually every time with the odd exception and then it,s 2nd or 3rd kick. Regards revving it, yes I do, quite a lot. Nice n steady for first few miles till I get out of town so to speak then I rev it very high, the bike was built to be ridden fast on twisty B roads and it has,nt disappointed so far, it absolutely flies up to around 90mph and goes up to 100 mph no problem but I,m quite happy at around the 80/90mph mark nowadays. (Must be an age thing) . It,s been bored out to approx 560cc and fitted with a high comp piston as well as a complete rebuild and a new mikuni carb and K n N filter ( no air box)  it shud hopefully be gracing the thumper club stand again this oct at the Stafford show if you,re down there come and have a look, it,s a nice little bike.  Cheers.  Michael

JOOLZ

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2014, 08:57:24 AM »
I say do what you can afford, dont go ott for a road bike make the mods suit your riding style.  I came across a company called CW cycle works or cycle wizard, who modify the head into a clover leaf pattern by welding it up between the valves and re machining and bore and stroke the NX out to 750cc and even a little bigger, they use the XBR gearbox with the NX650 2nd gear and the XBR clutch supposed to be really powerful and fairly reliable too

SteveC#222

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2014, 10:07:55 AM »
Bloody hell where's the bulldog spirit in you all. "Mad idea" mmmm, We did,nt win a war by pushin lecci start buttons. LOL
Seriously tho, once I,d got used to the way I had to go about starting it (full choke when cold, then zero choke and one real swift kick when warm) she sparks into life virtually every time with the odd exception and then it,s 2nd or 3rd kick. Regards revving it, yes I do, quite a lot. Nice n steady for first few miles till I get out of town so to speak then I rev it very high, the bike was built to be ridden fast on twisty B roads and it has,nt disappointed so far, it absolutely flies up to around 90mph and goes up to 100 mph no problem but I,m quite happy at around the 80/90mph mark nowadays. (Must be an age thing) . It,s been bored out to approx 560cc and fitted with a high comp piston as well as a complete rebuild and a new mikuni carb and K n N filter ( no air box)  it shud hopefully be gracing the thumper club stand again this oct at the Stafford show if you,re down there come and have a look, it,s a nice little bike.  Cheers.  Michael

Michael, sorry if I confused things a bit there, my comment about revving it out wasn't really aimed at you as I know you have a quick XBR, It was really a question more for Xbally who started the thread as a lot of folks don't realise the XBR likes to rev out rather than just thump ( though it'll do that too).  :-[
Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!

Moto63

« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2014, 12:02:51 PM »
Absolutely no offence taken Steve , nice to know my bikes reputation precedes itself. I wish I kud take all the credit for the bike but I had the engine professionally rebuilt by a local chap who has an excellent reputation for doing these engines, mainly in classic motorcross  circles and as I said before it certainly does,nt disappoint . On the point that joolz makes in do what your riding style req,s I totally agree, but I was used to riding very , very quick but wanted (needed) to calm myself down so built the XBR cafe racer,, I bought a new one back in 1986 and had very fond memory's of the bike so bit the bullit and bought one off fleabay and I just love the end result, so much so that I bought anther and now have that on the workshop bench and my triumph 1050 speed triple is going up for sale next week. Regards Michael

xbally

« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2014, 12:25:58 PM »
Steve-i take your point.I'm not someone who has come from a Brtit bike background and i do know that most Japs ,even big singles,need to be revved hard to get the most out of them. I always let my bike warm up before increasing the revs.Mine pulls quite strongly through the gears but doesn't seem to want to go much faster than an indicated 85 mph.I'm not after any more than 100 mph as my sports bike riding days have satisfied my lust for speed.My bike is a high mileage one (well over 60K recorded)and although its not been stripped it runs well enough for its mileage.There is a little cam chain rattle but i should think the top end must have lost efficiency after that number of miles assuming the engine has never been apart.I'm certainly not in the market for spending £s for a small performance gain but i would like the top end inspected for wear and at the same time if i could at least restore what performance may once have been there and /or increase capacity to 600 or 650 ccs all well and good.Thanks again to all posters.

Propellor

« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2014, 04:21:35 PM »

2. At least.
BEIGE is all the rage

guest1640

« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2015, 04:42:36 AM »
I say do what you can afford, dont go ott for a road bike make the mods suit your riding style.  I came across a company called CW cycle works or cycle wizard, who modify the head into a clover leaf pattern by welding it up between the valves and re machining and bore and stroke the NX out to 750cc and even a little bigger, they use the XBR gearbox with the NX650 2nd gear and the XBR clutch supposed to be really powerful and fairly reliable too
Hi Joolz
is that cw work in the pics you posted of your xbr head?

JOOLZ

« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2015, 09:10:23 AM »
No The head work on mine was done by XR's Only.  Here is a picture of the CW heads on the left and a standard head an the right

[deleted to save space]