Author Topic: XT350 Lighting problem  (Read 646 times)

trophydave

• Dave the rave
XT350 Lighting problem
« on: February 16, 2007, 07:53:16 AM »
I am having some problems with the lights on my recently acquired XT350.All the electrics(indicators,brake light etc) work apart from the headlight and rear light.These work if you run power directly to them,so it's not the bulbs.The earths are O.K.The battery is fully charged.There is only one fuse on the bike ,that is O.K.I have started to work my way around the wiring loom,the power seems to disappear somewhere between the ignion switch and the light switch,but I have not found where yet.Can anyone offer any suggestions or even tell me that the lights only work with the engine running before I go any further,

guest27

Re: XT350 Lighting problem
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2007, 02:17:24 PM »
I will probably be getting this horribly wrong....

The headlight draws a lot of power and usually through pretty poor wiring,  in the past I have run an nice thick wire from the battery to a lighting relay and used the switched power to switch the relay - nicer headlight and easier on the switch.  Now is it getting lost between the ign and the handlebar, or is the handlebar switch full of crud, burnt contacts etc making the circuit worse?

Admit to being a great fan of cheap car lighting relays put into the M/C circuit.

R

trophydave

• Dave the rave
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2007, 07:48:28 PM »
I have been onto the previous owner who tells me what is happening is correct.Guess who has spent ages with a multimeter going through the wiring looking for a fault.I was about to take a live feed upto the switch so the lights would work with the engine off but will now leave it alone.I just need a new back tyre and then it should(hopefully) be sorted.

Steve H

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2007, 07:56:28 PM »
Guess who has spent ages with a multimeter going through the wiring looking for a fault.
The good side is you now have a good idea of what the wiring like so if/when it goes wrong you have a head start on diagnosing problems.