Author Topic: Honda Dominator and XBR mating  (Read 915 times)

guest1406

Honda Dominator and XBR mating
« on: October 20, 2012, 02:37:19 PM »
My new project I hope will soon be a Dommie, stripped down, naked, simple. Yet seeing the price of a whole dommie i was thinking I could get its frame cheaper, and maybe use the more powerful and lighter XBR engine? How similar are they? Is it possible?

Thanks

Mackenzie

SteveC#222

Re: Honda Dominator and XBR mating
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 05:15:10 PM »
Putting a Domi lump into an XBR frame is 'fairly' straightforward but you have to change the primary gearing by swapping the Domi clutch basket/primary gear for the XBR one. Presumably the XBR unit fit the Domi chassis, but you might have to swap the gearing the other way?
Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!

guest1512

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 06:46:11 PM »
Here is a manual concerning this idea. First part is a Polish translation of the original English text pasted in a second part. Just click on pdf file over there:

http://chomikuj.pl/Honda_XBR/Dokumenty/Konwersja+NX650+do+XBR500

Why do you think that XBR engine is more powerful then NX?
Here is my friend's gallery:
https://picasaweb.google.com/depepeel/HondaXBR670
All wider details like crankshaft pin are wider in XBR. And this guy at the start swapped only a cylinder, piston and head, but finally decided to swap complete NX engine to his XBR's frame.
By the way I have just sapped NX cylinder and piston to XBR engine (with original XBR cylinder head, what means XBR 600 qith 11:1 impression).

johnr

• Regular
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 06:49:28 PM »
Putting a Domi lump into an XBR frame is 'fairly' straightforward but you have to change the primary gearing by swapping the Domi clutch basket/primary gear for the XBR one. Presumably the XBR unit fit the Domi chassis, but you might have to swap the gearing the other way?

eh?????? run that by me again? you have a dominator frame and want to fit an xbr motor, just wtf has the primary gearing of the engine got to do with it? just put the engine in complete surely? changing the clutch will necesitate a change of crank if its a crank driven basket? if you want to alter the gearing, put a different sprocket on the back and leave the engine alone.????