Author Topic: Suzuki Van Van Project - Engine info Needed  (Read 1883 times)

guest1406

Suzuki Van Van Project - Engine info Needed
« on: November 20, 2011, 08:39:44 PM »
Hi all, my first post on this forum. I am however a member of the Suzuki Van Van Forum, great friendly bunch.
Anyway, having passed my test ive become a tad bored of the pedestrian 125, so thinking of making a project. Got a picture in mind, a slight look of the wrench monkees bikes (biggest engine fitted in a small frame, whole bike stipped to bare minimum www.wrenchmonkees.com). Apart from the engine im all set.
So my question is, whats the biggest engine i could put in my Van Van frame? Bearing in mind its not a proper frame, by that i mean the engine completes the frame.
I have been told that the GN250 will go straight in there but thats pedestrian and wont give me much oomph. I have friends who work in Zues customs in East London who will help me with needs. One of the said maybe Yamaha RD350 - 400 will fit in there.

Thanks all for any helpful info in advance,
Mackenzie

johnr

• Regular
Re: Suzuki Van Van Project - Engine info Needed
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 11:15:18 PM »
rd twin engine has no fittings on the head to fix it into frame so is a non starter i imagine. gn engine isnt too bad, you have to ask yourself if its really worth spending perhaps 500 quid in order to make your bike worth 300 quid less than it currently is? why not just buy something better? if a gn engine drops in easily, then why not do just that? ultimately you will be limited by your own ability to fabricate stuff.

guest1406

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 03:00:48 PM »
Yeh i have thought about if its worth it, but tbh im a student and cant afford a project bike, thats why im just wondering if it can be done. The van van frame is pretty pathetic, pointless really. Alternatively ive been thinking about buying a frame and transfering the bits i like onto that frame but i havent a scooby what frame to look at. Also being 18 with a restriced license i have to stay under 33bhp. The boys at the custom garage will do me most favours. Can an enginne not be modified by brackets or what not to bolt on to the van van frame?

Mackenzie

guest295

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 08:08:27 AM »
Not really. And what's the point anyway? The existing engine is as powerful as the frame and suspension will stand, the handling isn't exactly brilliant, and there isn't really a feature that you'd want to carry over into another bike other than the lightness. Hang on to it, save your money and wait for something better.

guest1380

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 01:48:41 PM »
What you'll have to remember of course is that if you start buggering about with a bike the value generally drops especially with something like the Van Van.
There are some cheep easy fix projects out there, all you have to do is keep your eyes open and check out your local breakers whenever you can.

Modify a bike by all means, but only if it's going to be a keeper.