Author Topic: Luggage rack on XBR?  (Read 435 times)

BrendanO

• Procrastinating in Embra
Luggage rack on XBR?
« on: April 02, 2011, 05:26:23 PM »
Planning to go camping etc on XBR this summer, but...

paint is a bit too pretty for a tank bag

and it's got no rack

I'll probably go for throwovers, as pannier racks will spoil the look (and I use my other bike for 2-up heavy camping), and a dry bag on the rear seat.  There doesn't seem to be anything available in the way of a rear rack,so I suspect the best idea may be to buy another grab rail and weld a wee rack onto that.

However, I thought it might be worth asking about to see if any thumpers had good advice? I have Krauser K2s on the CX, so I might be persuaded to put K2 rails on, temporarily, if I can get a spare set, but there aren't a lot of mounting points on the XBR.

In fact, I'm currently finding it a pain carrying a lock and chain about town...having to be VERY careful not to damage bodywork along sides with bungee hooks!

Any thoughts?
XBR500,  FT500 (USA reg still but now starts/runs nicely!)
non-thumpers CX500EC, NTV650P

SteveC#222

Re: Luggage rack on XBR?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 07:48:02 PM »
When the XBR came out there were a couple of racks/luggage systems for it and they occasionally turn up on Ebay.

None of them really complement the XBR's lines and personally I don't like weight sticking out behind the rear wheel spindle.  Unless you're planning on a lot of camping I've always found the throwovers/ drybag combo works well. If you are going solo put the drybag on the passenger seat ( with the cover removed) the weight distribution is better.  The standard grabhandle is useful to anchor the drybag down
Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!