Author Topic: Yamaha SRX600 - Chain Guide  (Read 893 times)

Dale

Yamaha SRX600 - Chain Guide
« on: January 05, 2007, 07:18:58 AM »
Having problems locating a replacement in Australia so whilst I do could anyone let me know if they have had any problems running a bike without the guide ( it looks and seems ok but let me know if you have had any problems )
Cheers, Dale

Steve H

Re: Yamaha SRX600 - Chain Guide
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 07:53:01 AM »
Do you mean the rubber guide which fits on the nose of the swingarm, if so its there to stop the chain chewing into the swinging arm. The one on my DR was worn through and had chewed up the swingarm quite nicely. If you cant find one I'd try making one

Dale

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 08:18:35 AM »
yep thats the one - it looks like mine has been chewed a bit through use over the years and snapped cleanly on my last ride.I suspect that there will be minimal damage if I ride the bike whilst awaiting the part ( 4 weeks from Japan apparently ) but wanted to see if anyone out there had a horror story from a similar situation before I continued using the bike.

Steve H

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 09:11:44 PM »
Can you not get an old one from  a breakers as a temporary measure ?

Dale

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2007, 06:55:37 AM »
yep - already looking through the wreckers for a used part but unfortunatey the model is not that popular here in oz so used parts are scarce.
will repair the broken part as a make-do until I get the new one.cheers dale

guest27

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2007, 10:22:26 AM »
It is protecting the swingarm whilst not wrecking the chain - so if you cannot repair the old one fixing some 'sacrificial' ally to the swingarm would do for a short while - clean it all well and stick a couple of layers of 1/8th or so plate around the swinger - in the same place as the guard - with some decent double sided tape, and keep an eye on it - should be OK for the short while.  The plastic original guards wear down until the chain rollers bear on them rather than the side plates - thus they wear slower, so the chain plates will eat into the sacrificial plate but should (repeat should) not go deeper than the difference between the side plates and the rollers, so if the added plated ar somewhat thicker than this the swinger should be OK till the real bit arrives.  If you have a nice thick chunk of nylon or similar you could warm this and bend it round (have used nylon bobbins in the past) etc.

R

bullet350

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2007, 08:34:30 PM »
 i've noticed that some kitchen chopping boards are made from a white nylon that seems like just the right stuff to make a chain slider from. For £4 its probably worth a try.

bullet350

themoudie

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2007, 09:13:11 PM »
Aye and they're anti bacterial! ;-)