Author Topic: XBR500 CARB replacement  (Read 1699 times)

paulp2655

XBR500 CARB replacement
« on: May 30, 2010, 07:35:22 AM »
Hello all

In the quest to cure the occasional cough on my XBR, i found that most of the screws were siezed in place, including the pilot screw. However in the process of removing the said pilot screw i have managed to damage the carb (yes I know what a fecking idiot).

So has anyone replaced a XBR carb with something else and if so what have you go for ? or is it best to try and track down a OE VE10A

I have emailed 4 Kiehin carb stockists in the UK for some help and NOT 1 has replied, so presumably they dont want my money.

Thanks in advance, all suggestions appreciated.

guest7

Re: XBR500 CARB replacement
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 04:27:18 PM »
I've got an XBR here that the previous owner converted to use the Bing carb off a BMW boxer (yes really!).

I am aiming to get it back onto the road in a month or so and I will report back then on its performance. The owner did the conversion because he commuted from Southend to London and wanted better fuel consumption.

GC

SteveC#222

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 09:28:34 PM »
So has anyone replaced a XBR carb with something else and if so what have you go for ? or is it best to try and track down a OE VE10A

The standard carb is usually a pretty well sorted and reliable unit and the only time folks tend to change them is when they are tuning the engine when a flat slide Mikuni is the way to go. Thats probably not what your looking for - it's feckin' expensive for starters.  I would try and source a replacement standard unit or try and get yours refurbished but it may not be cheap - they've been asking £100 for secondhand XBR carbs on Ebay recently! Apart from the screws what have you damaged?

I've got an XBR here that the previous owner converted to use the Bing carb off a BMW boxer (yes really!).

I am aiming to get it back onto the road in a month or so and I will report back then on its performance. The owner did the conversion because he commuted from Southend to London and wanted better fuel consumption.

GC

It'll be interesting to see how that performs GC.
Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!

paulp2655

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 06:46:26 AM »
Thanks Steve

In a nutshell the pilot screw was seized, so I tried to remove it gently with a screw extractor, however i wasnt gentle enough and the alloy around it cracked when it came free. I might add that im so angry with myself.

Simmo has come to the rescue and has a carb to view, so I should be able to make a good one from two.

With regard to the flatslide mikuni, i may look at that if I can actually get a carb supplier to talk to me

SteveC#222

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 11:22:40 AM »
Simmo has come to the rescue and has a carb to view, so I should be able to make a good one from two.

Sounds like the way to go!

With regard to the flatslide mikuni, i may look at that if I can actually get a carb supplier to talk to me

To be honest it's not really worth doing this on it's own. you would really need to also fit the 600cc piston - tuned cam/valves - exhaust etc to get any real benefit. If you really want to go this way put 'GB500 hop up' in Google search and there a good article from Cycle world tuning a GB500 with White Bros parts.
Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!

guest833

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 03:50:35 PM »

All it takes is a phonecall mate- 07990 810934

John

paulp2655

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2010, 04:43:44 PM »

All it takes is a phonecall mate- 07990 810934

John

Sorry im a bit busy with domestic/family matters etc , im sure you understand. Just waiting for my Mother to go home.  ::)

guest564

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2010, 05:25:12 PM »
I've run a 40mm Amal and a 40mm Dellorto on a tuned engine (various states of tune), I wouldn't recommend a flat slide for road use.

driller1962

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 11:41:47 AM »
hi
did you sort Xbr carb out, doing similar trick and was considering a mikuni vm36-4 but its the inlet manifold is the problem, what did you sort out
thanks ???