Author Topic: Skorpion de rattling  (Read 878 times)

Ian

Skorpion de rattling
« on: December 15, 2006, 12:03:18 AM »
Over the past couple of days I've striped my sport engine out of the frame .
This has been done carefully noting the torque settings of the mounting bolts then knocking a bit of due to the fact that they haven't been undone before and there is no torque settings for these bolts in the manual.

Then on fitting the replacement engine one of the cam cover mounting points has cracked around it's base.
Should I get it welded up before I fire it up ? or fire it up and see if it leaks oil and ignore it if it doesn't leak ?

andy230

Re: Skorpion de rattling
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2006, 09:52:15 AM »
I (and this is just me, and I'm very tight remember) would try a bodge with chemical metal or similar, and not tighten that bolt too much.

Is it just on the rocker box cover?

Spend money only where necessary (unless you're handy at ally welding).  Also, it probably will be pretty hard to get properly clean.  then has it distorted?  And would you have to have the surface machined again??

What about your old cam cover?

a

peterj

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2006, 10:25:03 AM »
I'm agreeing with andy, I'd just give it a clean with acetone or similar and then fill the crack area with a little JB Weld or 24hr araldite. I'm interested as to why it cracked in the first place. I've not had a 660, but I've never seen a rocker cover on a bike where you could crack it by overtightening. The bolts are always clamping from what I've seen. Maybe someone has tried to remove the cover with that bolt still attached? Either way tightening the bolt normally shouldn't make any difference to the crack now.

Ian

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2006, 10:56:24 PM »
My first thought last night was to bodge it .
But having had sometime to think about it ,I decided to drop the engine out today.
What looked like a minor crack last night turned out to be a brake .
The whole mounting point has broken off just below the bolt hole .  :(
Looking at the piece that has broken off ,
the aluminum is dark and oily only a small area on one side is bright so it's probably been cracked for sometime.

Andy230 ,
Aren't the head and cam cover machined as a pair ?  Hence the matching numbers on them .
So I'll need to change the head as well ,If this is the case I lose a flowed head ,
But having looked at it I'm sure I could copy it using my dremel  ...

Steve H

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2006, 06:23:53 PM »
Was this the ex-race motor you bought ? If so it may be a stress fracture due to vibration. I had a head steady welded onto an XL500 years ago, no problems with warping. You could always bolt it up to your old head to hold it in line whilst welding. 

Ian

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2006, 10:14:39 PM »
Yep ,it's supposed to of been his spare race engine .

It probably didn't help letting it roll around in the boot on the way home ...

andy230

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2006, 10:02:43 AM »

Andy230 ,
Aren't the head and cam cover machined as a pair ?  Hence the matching numbers on them .
So I'll need to change the head as well ,If this is the case I lose a flowed head ,
But having looked at it I'm sure I could copy it using my dremel  ...

Ah jeezuz, are they??

Yeah, that makes sense I suppose, I thought they were just workshop numbers (ie from the aftermarket tuners).

I was going to suggest a lot of gasket goo, or maybe make a paper gasket, bnut of course the cam runs in the head/cambox cover doesn't it?

How annoying.  In that case, I'd try to weld it.  Or maybe try another cover, see if it leaks??  Then keep an eye on the tappets?  Not the best engineering pratice I know!

cheers for now.  But I'd speak to someone who knows, just to make sure they *are* machined as a pair...

a

Ian

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2006, 08:19:06 PM »
I've decided to strip the engines !

Opened the tappet cover ,to see if I could see any light coming in through the crack.
Tappets are almost at the end of their adjustment .
Lifted the cam cover and the cam shaft has been re-ground ,well under spec .

Sport engine is leaking oil at the back of the barrel .
Only engine in one piece at the moment .

Steve H

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2006, 10:40:31 PM »
If its a high lift camshaft then the tappets will be on the end of their adjustment. What makes you says it under spec ?

Ian

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2006, 05:14:36 PM »
Doh !

I knew something wasn't right about that statement . (the cam shaft has been re-ground , well under spec .)
The give away word being re-ground .

The cam has been re-ground to give a higher lift , Thanks for pointing this out Steve H.

It's a shame I didn't read the post last night as I've bought a stage 1 Hot cam  for the sport today.
The traveller will get the high lift .

All it needs is a good pair of carbs or a single carb kit from a Raptor .