Author Topic: Replacing synthetic oil  (Read 764 times)

Jonathan

Replacing synthetic oil
« on: December 02, 2006, 06:07:53 PM »
Up till now my XT600 has been pampered with synthetic oil.  I am keen to change down to semi-synthetic, and have been told various stories about having to flush the engine out first.  Is there  any truth in this? If so, what should I use?  And what exactly happens if I don't?  Thanks in advance.

GB500nz

Re: Replacing synthetic oil
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2006, 08:07:35 AM »
No problem. Just dump it out and refill. Ordinary oil mixes easily with synthetic. But do replace the filter, as people tend to leave synthetic oil in for far too long and there will be guck in there.

themoudie

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2006, 11:28:42 PM »
Here, here!

squirrelciv

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006, 06:52:18 AM »
I think the problems arise going the other way, I mean up grading to Synthetic and leaving mineral in the system. I believe the residue mineral then gets burnt and gums things up, but I could be wrong.
Live long, live well, live happy

themoudie

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006, 10:14:10 PM »
Aye Pat,

Just don't mix castor R30 or R40 with mineral or semi-synthetics or synthetics. Synthetic to semi-synthetic with filter change, fine. Same with mineral.

Shop around for your oil as well. I'm still able to buy 20l 10-40 semi-synthetic for £20 + VAT. Same thing with a different 'brand' name at another factors £34 + VAT. As for motorcycle special oils in thumpers...... get a life!

Sorry to be crabit, but I've got the lurgy and its sleeting and the hot toddy + paracetemol hasn't kicked in yet!

May the sun shine on all your backs tomorrow and thumpers thrum with joy! It's catching Pat.

Cheers, Bill

Jonathan

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2006, 11:46:06 AM »
Thanks very much for those replies.  It's what I wanted to hear!
Stay warm,
Jon