Author Topic: XBR question...  (Read 1130 times)

pigafetta

XBR question...
« on: December 01, 2006, 01:25:22 PM »
Hello Fellas

I'm still not altogether happy with my clutch. I chatted with a bloke with a GB500 with the same problem, ie. sticky clutch when cold, clunking into 1st gear. I'm wondering if its something to do with my choice of oil. I asked around for recommendations before I changed the oil but none were forthcoming. Im using Silkolene Super 4 'Ride' semi-synthetic which is marketed for use in 'all modern motorcycles'. The guy with the GB was also using semi-synthetic. It has been suggested to me that synthetic oil can cause problems with wet clutches. The local bike shop are only interested in recommending the brand they sell so no help there. So, all who ride Honda 500 singles, What oil do you use? Have you had clutch issues with certain oils? Have you had trouble with Silkolene semi-synthetic? Am I barking up the wrong tree? Any help hugely appreciated.

Cheers,
Dave

guest18

Re: XBR question...
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2006, 03:04:23 PM »
I've used semi synthetic for some time in a couple of big singles. Yes, the first time I put it into gear after it's sat for a while, I tend to get a "clunk", but then that's common for many bikes in my experience (hence why I'm particular about holding on the front brake while engaging gear on an unfamiliar bike :-0  !!) Thereafter it's generally sweet as you like.

Personally, and only in my experience, Semi synthetic oils have been good in bikes I've run, no problems with wear showing on components after disassembly and long service life. I'll be sticking with them. (Incidentally, alhough I've used a few I'm currently using silkoline in the MuZ).

You could try an oil change and see how it goes, or engage and release the clutch a couple of times before attempting to engage gear, or warm up for a few minutes before engaging gear and see how each approach helps/doesn't help with the prob.

Let us know how it works out, always interesting!!

Cheers,
Smudge

squirrelciv

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2006, 05:26:42 PM »
Castrol GPS semisynthetic for my bike and never had a problem. As far as I know it's only really fullly synth that causes a problem with wet clutches. I find Dolly can be clunky if oil levels are low or it's exceptionally cold out. If she turns clunky thats when I check my oil :-) If it's down to cold weather I usually hold the clutch in for a few seconds before engaging gear. Seems to work. Is the cable OK?? could be the problems there if it's a bit sticky or binding in the outer. Just a thought. Best of luck.
Live long, live well, live happy

pigafetta

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2006, 10:45:45 PM »
Hi all
Oil is brand new so thats not an issue. I tend to stick it in gear, pull the clutch in and wheel it out of the garage before I start it up. It initially takes a good shove to get it rolling. I then start it up and let it idle for a couple of minutes before I stick it in gear. This pretty much does the trick. Still clunks a bit though.
If you fellas are using semi-synthetic then thats good enough for me. Next oil change I'll stick something else in it and see what happens. I just don't want to break it, I've only had it a few months.
Thanks for the hints, I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers
Dave

guest7

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2006, 06:34:41 PM »
All Hondas clunk into first. Don't ask me why, they just do.

I use Castrol GTX or, if I'm feeling rich, GP. With 1,000 mile oil changes I can't see the point in throwing lots of money at the oil. However, I don't buy supermarket oils either, just a good quality mid-priced oil.

Why 1,000 mile changes? Because if you do that then your motor lasts... all the 100,000mile xbrs I've heard of have had a strict 1,000 mile change regime.

GC

GB500nz

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2006, 08:01:38 AM »
Yes, absolutely right. Buy ordinary oil (whatever's on special pricing at the automotive shop) and change it every 1000 miles. Semi-synthetic gets just as many fine carbon particles in it as any other oil, and that carbon wears the motor out. Special motorcycle oil is a ripoff--those companies don't have refineries, they buy oil from a big oil company and put it in their own bottles.
    The clunk is fine, normal, lovely. It's telling you that you've got a nice, strong clutch that won't let you down. Learn to love it.

squirrelciv

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2006, 11:02:53 AM »
Yes, absolutely right. Buy ordinary oil (whatever's on special pricing at the automotive shop) and change it every 1000 miles. Semi-synthetic gets just as many fine carbon particles in it as any other oil, and that carbon wears the motor out. Special motorcycle oil is a ripoff--those companies don't have refineries, they buy oil from a big oil company and put it in their own bottles.
    The clunk is fine, normal, lovely. It's telling you that you've got a nice, strong clutch that won't let you down. Learn to love it.

Can't agree with you there matey. Can't find it now, but there was a link to an article about oil composition posted here before and I was completely convinced you get what you pay for. From my own personal experience the Semi synth I dump at 2K looks a million times better than mineral I used to dump at 1K!! The high temperature's achieved by air/oil cooled engines will break down mineral oil a lot faster than semi, and as for the financial saving (which I'm not convinced exist as your changing it twice as fast) it doesn't out wiegh the cost to engine life. Also (again from personal experience) take a mineral oil and a semi synth engine apart and see which has more gunge in the sump!!!
Live long, live well, live happy

peterj

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2006, 11:51:38 AM »
Everything I've read suggests that semi-synth is the worst of all worlds, with very little performance benefit but a higher cost. Have things changed in the last couple of years?

I'm definitely sold on the benefits of fully synth though (I'll report on the difference in SRX 5th gear life in a few years time), just not enough to get carried away by claims of rediculously extended extended change intervals. It's still cheap insurance if you buy in reasonable quantity.

Isn't the oil debate fun!!!!

• Stalwart(TM)
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2006, 10:46:18 PM »
I've had two bikes that have done over 100,000miles both owned by me from new.
One in 14months the other in 5 years
Both on mineral oils and had no need to take either apart.
They didnt use excessive amounts of oil,or smoke and still ran as sweet as anything.

But I still think a load of cobblers is talked about with oils.
So long as the mileage is done and the oil is changed as recommended and a reasonable one is used.
There shouldnt be a problem.

Jethro
Cooey
Martini-Greener GP
Lee Enfield
ELG

guest7

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2006, 08:18:19 PM »
What bikes were they?

I'm guessing one was that GT with the disgusti... sorry, individual engine paint job.

GC

• Stalwart(TM)
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2006, 11:12:29 PM »
No No ! Z550F all black    and GSX600F

The 550 LTD was bought with a knackered motor and rebuilt by myself then did some sterling use as The Despatch Rat.
Matt Black with Flouresant Orange engine,red Hamerite wheels,MZ H/light,Fat bob rear fender,Sissy Bar by Captain Cardiff MZ tail light and metal tool box bolted on the back.Laser race pipe.
Nearly forgot the ape hangers !

Ah ! Those were the days !  1000-1500miles for work then the 40mile daily commute and evening and weekend rides,rallies for pleasure on top...!!!!!!!!! 

Jethro

Cooey
Martini-Greener GP
Lee Enfield
ELG

yoshi

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2006, 11:23:10 PM »
hi there dave there should be no problem to use semi oil in your xbr the problem is most likley in the clutch baskett check the wear on the prangs ifthey have bad groovs cut into them that whats causing the problem you can file them smooth if they are not to bad or replace the clutch basket i have qa xbr and a suzuki gsx 1100 i once put semi oil in thegsx and the clutch hardly worked at all i always use smi in my xbr with no problems cheers  yoshi /dublin ireland\