Author Topic: 1985 Honda XBR carb help  (Read 1524 times)

Olof.he

1985 Honda XBR carb help
« on: November 17, 2009, 07:46:43 PM »
Pictures at http://www.flickr.com/photos/44487296@N05/

2 years of MC-license and 2 years with my XBR
At the end of this year I got problems with my carburetor, if I left the petcock on it would start to drip and keep dripping from the carburetor bottom, and the bike was beginning to have trouble starting, might be cause of the cold too tho. The shop that I bought the bike said it was probably cause of junk in the carb, and said it would cost around 225 euros to fix, so I decided to have my first go myself, 225 euros is like 3 workdays for me, and right now, I don't even have workdays, (not enough anyway) I'm a real beginner but removing the carb was pretty straight forward.
The outside of the carb was dirty as hell, but when I opened it, the inside looked very neat and clean
Ive looked through the jets, and none are clogged.
I cleaned the bowl, the jets in boiling water and the outside of the carb with boiling water, and now everything looks clean(er...).
When I removed the pilot screw the spring bounced away, I managed to find it plus one ring, but bow when I checked the manual, its supposed to be three things?(se picture) I only have two, does that mean I am fucked? Also, the needle holder, nr 10 in the picture, there was none attatched to the main jet holder? Or where is it supposed to be?

And now that I've removed the things holding the jets, when I put them back, do I just screw them all the way in or is it like the pilot mixture screw, that has to be at an OK setting and then you adjust it?

Thankful for any help.

Mark

Re: 1985 Honda XBR carb help
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 08:34:50 PM »
I think the needle holder item 10 will be still in the carb body where the main jet holder fits, I don't think it comes out to readily.

Can't help you with the missing part on the mixture screw unless the drawing is refering to an o ring that is fitted to the screw.
There exists a set of people who believe 2>4

Olof.he

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 08:49:59 PM »
Thanks! Yeah, I think you're right on the needle holder, its situated above the main jet holder, so it should still be above there, just found it on another sketch.
On the mixture screw, If it is an O-ring, then I guess it should'nt be too hard to find something like that? Anyone else have a guess? Maybe it'll still be tight without it?

Oh, another thing. I was planning on changing the spark plug, but it seems like such a project to get to it?
Cause as it is now, I'm unable to reach it and it looks like you'd need to remove the top of the cylinder to get there. The visible part was extremly rusty aswell, but maybe I should just leave it, if its not broken, don't fix it?

guest295

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 08:42:33 AM »
Pound shops have O-ring assortments; have a look to see whether there's one of the right size amongst them before you buy. The plug's easy to get out if you have the right size socket, but it's worthwhile to blow air or something around it to clear away stones and grit that may be waiting to jump down the hole when the plug comes out. Do replace it: they don't last all that long. Spray a bit of WD-40 around the base before attempting removal, and smear the threads of the new one (NGK, of course!) with anti-seize grease before installation.
Terry

CHRIS211083

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 09:54:47 AM »
HI, back to the main issue...... your carb has no crap in it and leaks? yes? then you need a carb repair kit. if you got on the internet to either M&P or NRP then they will be able to sell you a carb kit for £10-£16+DELIVERY. this will include all the seals and more importantly a new float valve. which will make the carb fuel tight again. the pilot screw is just nipped up like the main jet.the air mixture valve at the front bottom of the carb is the only one you adjust. to do this you screw it in until there is light resistance and then count the turns back out. its usually 1.5-2.5 turns. your manual will say. good look!!!

Olof.he

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 11:16:23 AM »
Okay, thanks for good help! Guess I'll send for one of those carb kits then. Was'nt that costly.
I'm just about to go down and change oil, oil filter and brake pads, and sparkplug but I'll wait for the carb kit before installing that one then
One, well actully two beginners question more..
There were a lot of tubes attatched to the carb, but I have no clue where they are going.
1. One short tube just goes from one part of the carb, to another, that one I just left there, so thats no problem.
2. A third  tube just went from the  left side of thecarb to underneath the bike, but I cannot tell which of the two free places on the carb left side that its supposed to be attatched to, the front or rear.
3. When I was trying to remove the tubes, one was going from the carb, straight down. But when I pulled out that one, I accidently pulled off another tube that went down underneath the bike, where did that one come from? Must be some kind of drain tube, but I have no idea where I yanked it from?

Big swedish hug to you guys helping me out there.

robG

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 04:46:23 PM »
Olaf,

Check your float height. Possibly the carb is flooding because the float is sticking and not shutting off when there is enough petrol in the carb.Make sure the float valve is moving about as it should.In the past when this has happened a sharp tap on the side of the carb frees it up but as the carb is stripped just check through everything, no rush.

Rob.

Olof.he

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 06:23:37 PM »
Okay, thanks!
I cleaned it all, and decided to put it in without the mixture screw o-ring, hopefully it'll still work, have'nt started yet.
My next problem is that I have no clue how connect all the tubes, and what all the tubes are doing, what their purpose is. Is there anyone who knows this? I know one tube is goes from one side of the carb and to the other, but there are two nipples for 2 other tubes, and I don't know what to do with them.

Also, I yanked out another tube that was just ending underneath the bike, and that one was not connected to the carb, have NO clue where that goes.

Olof.he

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 06:31:42 PM »

Olof.he

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2009, 09:08:25 PM »
Does anyone know which is my carb?
There are two carb-repair kits available.

KH-1235N
KH-1268N
which one?

I installed the carb today, and it started to drip pretty quickly.
Then I kicked like 30 times to get it started, just to realize that i had unplugged the sparkplug...arrrgh.
Now I need that kit, AND a tool to reach the spark plug, I tried two different regular sparkplug tools, none worked... bah!

CHRIS211083

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2009, 11:05:44 PM »
hi, honda do a specific spark plug spanner for the xbr i baught it cost £8 also the frame no. when given to honda will say which carb you have. as for the o ring in the air screw, it is needed as it stops fuel everything thats in the carb is needed. the carb kit will sort it all out.

guest833

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2009, 08:46:22 PM »
The plugs are cheap on www.wemoto.com and if you come across an original tool kit there is a plug remover in there   

Olof.he

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2009, 04:39:23 PM »
Hello!

I'd like to thank you guys that helped me when I had carburator problems. After buying a rebuild kit from mainjet.de it works good now, and I was also finally able to reach the spark plug with their spark plug spanner especially for xbr.

They do ship outside of germany even tho their order system says they do not , just email them and you'll get help from the peeps running that place.

guest7

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2009, 09:11:24 PM »
Glad to hear you got that sorted.

And thanks for putting the company's details up.
GC