Author Topic: XBR help please  (Read 1017 times)

matt-brighton

XBR help please
« on: November 25, 2006, 05:57:25 PM »
Hi,

After standing since 2004 in a state of disassembly I

-put the tank on
- inserted a rusty spark plug

- hooked the battery wiring up to an old charger connected to mains for a elec supply (not recommended - I know - sorry again)

- syphoned a cup of fuel into the tank

- my xbr started 2nd kick and ticked (nay purred) over - amazing.

But here's the thing - the fault that layed her up in feb 2004 - is exactly the same and related to the rev counter somehow.

So here we go............

Starts fine and usually the rev counter reads but flickers. Ocasionally reads accurately and I can rev the bike freely.

The rev counter then fails to register anything - but engine still runs - not so happy at higher revs.

After a few minutes the engine dies.

The elec ignition black box is fine (tested on another bike)

Any ideas chaps ?

please ?

Matt

GB500nz

Re: XBR help please
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2006, 07:53:43 AM »
The tacho is driven off the cgi unit, so one would assume the faults are connected. Find the tacho fault and you've found the ignition fault.

matt

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2006, 08:28:47 AM »
The tacho is driven off the cgi unit, so one would assume the faults are connected. Find the tacho fault and you've found the ignition fault.

Thanks for the reply - I will check that out (is the cgi also called the pulse generator ?)

My other bike is a Bullet so  - this is all space age technology to me

Thanks again

Matt

ps - Hi to scottish smudge - from Matt - brighton  if he still contributes here

guest18

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2006, 11:49:36 PM »
Hi Matt,
Hope all is well and the kids are behaving! I'm still lurking around here, although the XBR is yoked up to a chair and hasn't turned a wheel in months and the current ride is an MZ supermoto...
Good luck with getting the Honda back up and running, maybe see you at a club rally sometime ;-)
Smudge

GB500nz

pulsegen
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 08:55:50 AM »
The pulse generator is a wee thingy alongside the alternator. It sends a pulse to the CGI unit. Pulse frequency determines ignition advance and tachometer reading. Presumably an intermittent short in the tacho wiring would discombobulate the ignition.

Fiddle Castrol

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2006, 05:04:53 PM »
A knakered battery will upset the electronic tacho....!

So new battery and take it from there.
Having said that you could have more than one fault.
Go for the most important first,the running problem and take it from there.

Jethro

matt

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2006, 07:16:33 PM »
Hi Matt,
Hope all is well and the kids are behaving! I'm still lurking around here, although the XBR is yoked up to a chair and hasn't turned a wheel in months and the current ride is an MZ supermoto...
Good luck with getting the Honda back up and running, maybe see you at a club rally sometime ;-)
Smudge
Thsnke everyone for the replys

pleased to hear from tyou again Smudge - Kids (x2 now) are well and I have moved to a place with a detatched garage.

As you know I bought my way out of trouble when the xbr packed up and got an Enfield Clubman  - yes I'm one of those sad ptypes with a polishing fetish. I posted a piccy to your thumper site

I want to get the xbr going as I do fancy mixing my riding with a - how shall I put it  - more "modern" bike.

All the best and thanks again to all who posted help here

Matt-brighton