Author Topic: still on heads!  (Read 693 times)

andy230

still on heads!
« on: November 24, 2006, 01:55:14 PM »
Did the srx head to specified (18 lbft?/ 2.5 NM?? rings a bell...) torque sttings.

It doesn't seem that tight tho... 

1. I dont want to overdo it (ally barrel)
2. I dont want it not to have enough!

It could definately take more...  Even a wee extra nip...

After all bolts "clicked" the torque wrench, I went round an "clicked" them again, just to be sure.  They all gave a little extra before clicking.  Not a lot, but a bit.

Do I leave it be???

Only reason I'm asking is the norton settings are "as tight as you can get it", and there's been no bother there, but that is onto a cast iron barrel, with a big, coarse thread on the (big, course) bolts...

Leave alone now?  Cheers!  I promise this is the last posting on the topic!!!

Steve H

Re: still on heads!
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2006, 02:04:26 PM »

squirrelciv

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2006, 02:22:39 PM »
Personally I'd stick to what the manual says. Had this myself, things seemed too loose, but at the end of the day the gaskets hold. If you overstress the bolts by overtightening they may stretch and weaken. Infact I can remember working on a car that reccomended replacing engine studs for that reason. Plus (I suppose) you have to consider the forces you'll be applying to the head itself if you crank up the pressure. Wouldn't want a stress fracture would we??
Live long, live well, live happy

andy230

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2006, 02:52:13 PM »
Manual says 25Nm 18lbft 2.5kgm http://www.srx600.f2s.com/srx600/technical/torqspec/torqspec1.php

Yep, that was it!  I checked and double checked the settings, both metric and imperial.  I spoke to martin sweet, and even on a high comp motor, he said just do them up to standard settings.  Also said not necessary to replace the bolts as they had only been in there about 2 years, and were new then...

So be it then!  I just dont feel good about it!! 

Cheers tho, advice appreciated

a

ps.  Did anyone notice the forum censor my typo???

Course was mis-spelt as   "c o a r s e" , which came out as coa***   !!! heh!

themoudie

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2006, 09:01:19 PM »
Aye Andy,

I suppose if your paranoia gets the better of you, the answer might be to check them cold after the first meeting or at the first service after the rebuild. Sally has been fine and leak free with no tweaking. Just clean, true, mating surfaces, OE gaskets and careful assembly to the specified torques.

Just make sure you've got your hatches battened down for tonight. The torque on the bolts holding your garage roof on might be more important!

Cheers, Bill