Author Topic: Tyre recomendations for a MT500 please  (Read 718 times)

bmhor

Tyre recomendations for a MT500 please
« on: November 20, 2006, 02:15:01 PM »
Greetings all,

I'm a new user on Thumper and just come back to bikes after several years on the dark side (4 wheels!)

I've just bought an ex MOD Armstrong MT500 which is in need of new front and rear tyres and I need some advice on what and where to buy.

I'm in Edinburgh and the use will be mainly road but I'd like to retain the option of the occasional Off Road foray.

Your thought please......

Bob

Bruce

Re: Tyre recomendations for a MT500 please
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 05:47:11 PM »
Welcome,

I have an MT500 and the only off roading I do is the occasional field and grass verge for road use I have used Ching Sing Tyres from M&P these are dirt cheap and suit my requirements.However there is a vast choice of tyres and if you look at the MT500 website and go through the forums you will find lots of opinions about which is the best tyre to use good luck.

themoudie

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 10:13:36 PM »
Aye Bob,

Smudge more likely to offer answers to this as he has 'experience'!

Metzeler Tourance or Avon Distancias (not sure of spelling) both get used by satisfied club members. Metzelers on my F650 have been fine with tubes in and the rear radial did ~11k before replacement.

Cheers, Bill

bmhor

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 10:51:46 PM »
Thanks both, I'll have a look at these.

Bob

squirrelciv

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2006, 07:08:55 AM »
Hi matey, I'm a big fan of the distanzia (avon) Plenty of grip on the black stuff and OK on gravel tracks. No good at all on grass and wet mud, but hey, if you want to go scrambling.......
Getting 8.5k from a rear and I'm not too kind to them either :-) They are cheep too, I paid £90 for the pair delivered from M&P (think)
Live long, live well, live happy