Author Topic: Fairing screens  (Read 1894 times)

Richard 003

Fairing screens
« on: November 17, 2006, 10:49:56 PM »
The screen on that fairing I put on the XBR outfit was too high - I was looking through it, and there was much turbulence. So I cut a few inches off the top (surprisingly, without breaking it). Now I can see over it, but I have lots of wind roar as it directs the air straight at my head. Not having a wind tunnel, I'm at a bit of a loss. Would adding some kind of flip-up help? 

bullet350

Re: Fairing screens
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2006, 05:22:48 PM »
i've been experimenting with screens for a while on my honda. i'd prefer not to have one but they keep the cold away quite well.
i've found that it either has to be high enough to send the air over the top of your lid, or a bit lower so that it clears your body but catches you head and neck. anywhere inbetween and you head cops it, not only buffeting but horrendous noise as well.
the best one i ever rode with was a bmw r100gs with the square headlight and mini fairing. it kept the wind off your body but your arms and head were in the airflow. best of both worlds, with no buffeting or noise.

bullet350 (at 45mph screens aren't an issue)

Richard 003

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2006, 05:41:24 PM »
i've been experimenting with screens for a while on my honda. i'd prefer not to have one but they keep the cold away quite well.
i've found that it either has to be high enough to send the air over the top of your lid, or a bit lower so that it clears your body but catches you head and neck. anywhere inbetween and you head cops it, not only buffeting but horrendous noise as well.
the best one i ever rode with was a bmw r100gs with the square headlight and mini fairing. it kept the wind off your body but your arms and head were in the airflow. best of both worlds, with no buffeting or noise.

bullet350 (at 45mph screens aren't an issue)

I think my challenge is to devise something tall enough to send the air over the top of my head, but low enough that I can see over it, rather than through it. I think I now have the airflow directed straight at my head - not a lot of buffetting, but a lot of wind noise

john g

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2006, 01:59:42 AM »
I've had to cut a few in my despatching days & found (for me) that the ideal compromise was to sit on the bike & mark the screen at the level that would allow me to see over the screen (sitting upright) during bad weather but during the nicer weather, be able to relax & look through (bugs permitting) with the air flow just catching the top of my helmet. To cut the screens (quite a few) I used a hot air gun to soften the perspex & carefully cut it with a breadknife.

Richard 003

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2006, 08:58:29 AM »
I've had to cut a few in my despatching days & found (for me) that the ideal compromise was to sit on the bike & mark the screen at the level that would allow me to see over the screen (sitting upright) during bad weather but during the nicer weather, be able to relax & look through (bugs permitting) with the air flow just catching the top of my helmet. To cut the screens (quite a few) I used a hot air gun to soften the perspex & carefully cut it with a breadknife.

I suppose I might have cut it a bit low. Then again, I didn't want to be craning my neck. I used a jigsaw ;-)

squirrelciv

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2006, 10:01:26 AM »
The screen I made for Dolly is quite low, well below head height, but I put a significant kickout near the top that seems to keep the worst off at sub 70mph. Over that I get a bit of buffeting, but It's rare I travel that fast, unless Mr Hayward is leading ;-) I moulded it from perspex heated in the oven and then draped over my dustbin to get the curve in two directions. Have a look, there must be a photo of it in one of the galleries.
Live long, live well, live happy

Richard 003

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2006, 10:16:58 AM »
The screen I made for Dolly is quite low, well below head height, but I put a significant kickout near the top that seems to keep the worst off at sub 70mph. Over that I get a bit of buffeting, but It's rare I travel that fast, unless Mr Hayward is leading ;-) I moulded it from perspex heated in the oven and then draped over my dustbin to get the curve in two directions. Have a look, there must be a photo of it in one of the galleries.

Thanks, I will. I think my screen must be about the same height as the shorter Powerbronze varaint now. I might have a go at sticking something on it, by way of a kickout, to see if that helps. Or buy a short flipped screen from Powerbronze, but that would be a bit of an expensive experiment.

Other problem in assessing this is that I can't see how fast I'm going ;-) We had to mount the clocks (XBR on CX yoke) a bit higher to mount the fairing, and the speedo cable doesn;t reach. Anyone had a longer speedo cable made, and if so where?

Cheers
R.

john g

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2006, 05:38:32 PM »
Why not try an old helmet visor clipped to the top (could be made adjustable if fitted into slots made in screen?)

Ian

I've got a long one !
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2006, 08:33:06 PM »
RE : Speedo cable ,

How much longer do you need Richard ?

From memory I think it's about 5" longer than standard .
Will check on length tomorrow .
It's not new and I'm not sure what it's off ,might be a Yamaha ?

Richard 003

Re: I've got a long one !
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2006, 08:39:47 PM »
RE : Speedo cable ,

How much longer do you need Richard ?

From memory I think it's about 5" longer than standard .
Will check on length tomorrow .
It's not new and I'm not sure what it's off ,might be a Yamaha ?

Coo cheers. 5" would be ample. It's need to fit into a CX speedo drive though (front end is CX650). I have XBR clocks. Trouble is I don;t actually know whether it;s an XBR or CX speedo cable ...

Ian

I've got a long one !
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2006, 07:58:45 PM »
It's 7" approx longer than the one on my Xbr , total length of 41" .

The ends are standard Xbr ,square speedo end and slotted for the drive .

Do you want a photo to compare the ends with your cable ?

Richard 003

Re: I've got a long one !
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2006, 08:08:39 PM »
It's 7" approx longer than the one on my Xbr , total length of 41" .

The ends are standard Xbr ,square speedo end and slotted for the drive .

Do you want a photo to compare the ends with your cable ?

Good grief, that's long ;-) Yes please, a photo would be wonderful.

guest7

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2006, 08:40:40 PM »
Wouldn't just about any Honda speedo cable fit? Try getting one from a big trailie (Translap, Africa Twin, Dominator, etc.)

As long as the drive end is the same design (held in with a bolt across the groove) then it should fit.

Cheers
GC

• Stalwart(TM)
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2006, 10:17:51 PM »
Wouldn't just about any Honda speedo cable fit? Try getting one from a big trailie (Translap, Africa Twin, Dominator, etc.)

As long as the drive end is the same design (held in with a bolt across the groove) then it should fit.

Cheers
GC

Totally agree !    No Problem...

Jethro
Cooey
Martini-Greener GP
Lee Enfield
ELG

Ian

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2006, 03:14:14 PM »

Cheers
GC

There you go problem solved ,and they agree , Richard ..

So is it a CX650 speedo drive or a XBR500 drive or are they the same ?

Sent the photos of the cable ends to your freeserve address last night  .
Hopefully they will answer the drive question .

If you want the cable send me your address and I'll post it ,ASAP.