Author Topic: Aaaah! I broke a bit...  (Read 928 times)

pigafetta

Aaaah! I broke a bit...
« on: November 16, 2006, 11:07:50 PM »
Hi everyone.

I have an XBR500. You know the little screw in plug thing on the generator cover? The bit you unscrew to line up the timing marks? Anybody got a spare one or know where I can get one quick? I was giving my bike a bit of a going over today, I've not had it long, and I had a job getting this plug thing out. The slot in the top was proper mashed up. I eventually got it out, did my tinkering and tried to put it back. At this point it fell to bits, as I screwed it in, the top twisted right off. I've glued it together but its not going to last long and my bike is my only transport so I need to sort it as soon as possible. I'd be grateful for any help.

Cheers,
Dave

squirrelciv

• Global Moderator
Re: Aaaah! I broke a bit...
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 07:31:21 AM »
I'd give David Silver a ring. Might not be too much for a new one.

01728 833020

Best of luck.
Live long, live well, live happy

GB500nz

tools
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 08:33:35 AM »
Don't use an ordinary screwdriver on these things. I made a Monster Screwdriver Bit for my impact driver, but you can make a tool to properly fit the slot out of 3/32 steel.

bullet350

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2006, 07:05:29 PM »
go to the local breakers, i'd be surprised if a cb500 one didn't fit. they'll possibly have dominator bits left.

pigafetta

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2006, 10:27:00 PM »
Hi everyone,

I actually used a washer clamped in my moleys to remove the thingy, to be honest it was pretty far gone before I attacked it. Anyway, after a bit of research, I've discovered that this is a standard honda part and its used on loads of different models. You can get them for a few quid. I'm off to my mates workshop tomorrow to nick one off something.

Cheers,
Dave

Richard 003

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2006, 10:52:56 PM »
Good luck with this. I did want to say, though, that I've had XBRs and GBs for more than a decade, and I have never, ever, felt the need to go anywhere near the timing. Then again what do I know? ;-)

pigafetta

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2006, 09:46:39 PM »
Richard,
I've had this bike only a few months so I'm guessing you know a lot more than me. I was only checking my valve clearances - seemed a bit rattly. All is well now though. One lives and learns.

Cheers,
Dave

guest7

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2006, 08:37:20 PM »
There is a good fix for the crankshaft cover cap (the larger of the two): the oil inspection cover off a Honda @125 fits and has a nice meaty hex nut on it.

Still haven't found a decent answer for the smaller (timing mark) inspection cover.

Perhaps the club should get some nice allen head ones made up?

Cheers
GC

• Stalwart(TM)
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2006, 10:20:38 PM »
There is a good fix for the crankshaft cover cap (the larger of the two): the oil inspection cover off a Honda @125 fits and has a nice meaty hex nut on it.

Still haven't found a decent answer for the smaller (timing mark) inspection cover.

Perhaps the club should get some nice allen head ones made up?

Cheers
GC

The answer is......make it out of decent a material,and have a tidy form of fixing.
Be it internal hex or external.
And dont forget to use anti-sieze on the threads.

Jethro
Cooey
Martini-Greener GP
Lee Enfield
ELG