Author Topic: OT - Car gearbox question - answered!  (Read 1701 times)

guest27

Re: OT - Car gearbox question - answered!
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2009, 07:17:20 PM »
A petrol driven industrial capacity, 4 gear icecream maker - sets up stall selling icecream at Elefantreffan to warm people up slowly

A transcontinental kneeler

A transcontinental FF combo

R

guest18

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2009, 07:25:16 PM »
Nope, nope... nope.... hmmmm warmer.... :o

guest27

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2009, 07:58:03 PM »
Oooh going FF are we?

A rotovator, a strimmer for really stubborn brambles.

A female pleasure device for trefenating a frustrated she elephant - The Elephantentreffen

R

guest146

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2009, 08:48:47 PM »
To make the drive go backwards you need to put the crown wheel on the other side of the pinion. On the old Scammel truck axle could do this my misteke and end up with 6 rev gears and one forward.

Not all drive trains will have enough room but its an easy way if you can

ken

Jez F

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2009, 12:02:43 AM »
Imp powered half-track sidecar outfit, with the driver sitting in the chair??

guest18

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2009, 07:47:41 PM »
Funky idea, but no (not convinced how well it would suit the hundreds of motorway miles there and back  :o )
No, I'm looking for economy, performance, weather protection....

guest27

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2009, 08:57:38 PM »
No, I'm looking for economy, performance, weather protection....

Stow away in GC's sidecar then...  ;D

Was going to suggest an Autobahn ready hovercraft as this would be warm being insulated from the ground, but not cheap.

A new take on the Messerschmidt or Heinkle 3 wheeler?  An Ecomobile from the Glens?

R

guest18

« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2009, 09:59:25 PM »
Now one of these hit the nail on the head..... but I'm not saying which  :-*
Probably never happen anyway!  ::)

guest27

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2009, 10:10:19 AM »
A new take on the Messerschmidt or Heinkle 3 wheeler?

Would not need the axle for a Ecomobile.

R

guest18

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2009, 03:54:25 PM »
What axle?....  ;)
A transaxle is just another name for a a combined gearbox and final drive (still relatively unusual when the Imp was designed)

guest27

« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2009, 08:52:53 AM »
Showing my ignorance then - thought it was a concatenation of Transmission and Axle, thus the transmission has output to a pair of drive shafts - the axle - rather than one which would lead to a diff etc.  If you were producing a single track - ie an Ecomobile, you would not need the two outputs, just one.

A twin track with drive to two wheels would need it.

Could be hoping for snow and a version of this

R

guest18

« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2009, 09:42:08 AM »
It does indeed have two outputs, but I only need one...
That bike you picture doesn't look very warm or motorway ready!

Ok I'll 'fess up(!)
I was/am looking idly into the technical difficulties of building a poor mans (normal mans more like!) ecomobile. The concept is good but their price completely ludicrous.
I was looking at an Imp engine/transmission purely because I have a spare one in the garage (doesn't everyone?!?) and being alloy construction it's relatively light for a car unit.

The idea would be to have an elongated "D" shaped loop of roll bar sized tube forming the horizontal part of the frame and encircling the rider passenger and engine, with the curved part of the "D" forming the nose of the vehicle with two elipses mounted vetrically just behind the rider and passenger seats, this would form the main frame and "safety cell" with conventional bike frame thickness tubing led off it to support everything else.
Looking at bike front forks/wheel/brakes controlled by drag links to a handlebar in the cockpit, rear suspension would be a swingarm mounted on a subframe off the rear of the main frame. Drive by chain from one side of the transaxle, the other side bolted off to prevent rotation and put all the drive to the chain side. Nose fairing from a butchered sidecar/bikefairing/roof box and remaining bodywork from alloy sheet. Windscreens from car glass (front panel in Spitfire/messerschmidt style!) and canopy a single curve sheet of perspex. Two seats in line with the rear passenger set a little higher than the driver.
Car seats, harnesess heater (oooh :)) and wiper etc, registered as a motorcycle (single track vehicle) The design of outrigger/stabiliser legs we're still thrashing out but we have identified at least one workable option.

Of course it's all just ideas, and I have no space/time to embark on such a project just now as I may be moving house imminently :O but it's an interesting planning exercise and I'm not ruling it out ;)

themoudie

« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2009, 03:03:33 PM »
Moving house! Proper move or a flit, if I may be so bold?

Nosey Parker!

guest18

« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2009, 03:21:13 PM »
Dunno what your interpretation of the difference is!
To a new to us house closer to swmbo's work if it all pans out...

guest27

« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2009, 09:03:29 PM »
Now we just need to transport back about 50 years....  According to my granddad - before he died - the hot cloche after WW2 was the bubble off a Spitfire, others were OK but the Spit had a nice shape.  some of the jets had OK ones too - Buccaneer comes to mind.  Now they would do you fine.

Sounds like a good idea and project, Could you not just steal the nose of a glider as the body?

Inspiration? http://www.craigvetter.com/pages/470MPG/470MPG%20Main.html

R