Author Topic: Suzuki XF650 Freewind  (Read 833 times)

Mitch

Suzuki XF650 Freewind
« on: November 02, 2006, 10:44:11 AM »
Hi everyone,

Bought a Suzuki a 1998 XF650 Freewind with 17k miles on the clock, a couple of months ago.

I find the bike perfect for my daily 20 mile commute across urban and country roads. (my other bike's a Blackbird)

The only criticism is the running from cold, the bike starts fine, but will not run smoothly for the first 2 or 3 miles unless the choke it out full, or your are above 4 thousand RPM, even then it's a bit hesitant unless the chokes full out. Especially today with the cold weather upon us!

Is this normall for a big single?

BTW The bike has recently had minor service with new spark plugs, and the air filter looks clean.

Thanks,

Mitch.

guest7

Re: Suzuki XF650 Freewind
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 12:48:43 PM »
My XBR isn't like that, but a Superdream I once owned would only come off choke about half a mile short of work on my five mile commute... it used to annoy the hell out of me :-)

Jethro has worked on the Freewind... he'll be on this forum sometime after pub hours tonight.

Cheers
GC

guest18

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2006, 08:32:19 PM »
Certainly not normal for an XBR or an MuZ 660, but I've never ridden a Freewind so it might be....
As GC said, JETHRO!....

bullet350

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2006, 12:41:18 PM »
possibly carb icing if it keeps trying to die when engine is warm but air is cold. many garden centres do an additive to stop carb icing, apparently movers and the like suffer alot.

bullet350

Mitch

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2006, 02:17:23 PM »
Took the bike to my local dealer for them to check over, and they said that the air filter oil was incorrect, and was gathering in the filter box.  They cleaned the filter box and put the correct oil on the filter, and charged me £20.

This has improved the running when hot, but it still takes a while to warm up, maybe I'm just not used to a big single, after riding a Blackbird?

I've ordered some Iridium spark plugs of e-bay, that might help, we'll see.

I still love riding the bike, much more fun that the Blackbird on the route I take, The Blackbird's for touring, not sure how comfy the Freewind would be on a 1500 mile trip up to Scotland.

Thanks for the advice,

Mitch.