Author Topic: SRX cylinder fins  (Read 2388 times)

Chris 303

SRX cylinder fins
« on: July 24, 2006, 09:45:01 AM »
Hello,
Wow this is posh,congratulations to all concerned.
I am trying to tidy up my SRX.Any advice on cleaning the air cooling fins on the cylinder.They have a white,salty looking  encrustation on them.I guess scraping would give an uneven result.Hoping to hear that there is a spray,or paint on answer.
thanks
Chris

Richard 003

Re: SRX cylinder fins
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 10:39:55 AM »
Hello,
Wow this is posh,congratulations to all concerned.
I am trying to tidy up my SRX.Any advice on cleaning the air cooling fins on the cylinder.They have a white,salty looking  encrustation on them.I guess scraping would give an uneven result.Hoping to hear that there is a spray,or paint on answer.
thanks
Chris

Petrol and a scrubbing brush

bill#138

Re: SRX cylinder fins
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 09:37:32 PM »
Here you go Chris,

http://www.machinerycleanery.com/index.htm

Otherwise, elbow grease, elbow grease, stainless steel wire brushes, tooth brushes including 'pointy' ones, parrafin, Auto Glym motor cycle cleaner and all finished off with a good dose of ACF50 or Scottoiler anti corrosion fluid after every wash. Paint, lacquer and plastic coating all fall off or go fury, or the corrosion lifts them off.

There are no easy short cuts and you have to be persistent. Alternative is to run a 'window box' special, which once the oxidised layer has formed just requires the oily rag treatment, vaseline, ACF50, Scottoiler fluid or WD40 sprayover after every wash. Not shiny but a lot cheaper and easier!

The final method practiced by many in the TC is called 'minimal maintanence' or neglect! This can lead to grief if you are in a hurry or use your transport on the 'just in time' principal when it decides to break and you can't remove the fasteners! ;-)

Regards, Bill