Author Topic: fork oil  (Read 713 times)

william

fork oil
« on: January 22, 2009, 07:19:45 PM »
just put new fork seals on bike want to know how much oil to put in each leg i belive it is 376cc in each leg  but i have no way to measure out oil that way the bike is srx 400

guest146

Re: fork oil
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 04:00:45 PM »
You just borrow the wife's Pyrex measuring jug when she is not looking. Or you can get these from eBay for a few pounds  280166326093

Ken

Steve Lake

• Dyslexics have more nuf
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 07:17:46 PM »
the advice i was given from Denver Motorcycles (who knew everything you ever might need to know abiut srx's) was to lift the bike at the front by jacking under the headstock, such that the front wheel is off the ground and the forks are fully extended, then, fill up the legs to 120mm from the top (I use a strip of paper or card with 120mm marked on it, and use it as a dip stick) all you need to do now is select the viscosity of your oil.....i've been using 15, but i think 10 might be less bone jarring over potholes)

themoudie

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 03:01:21 PM »
Aye SteveL,

With or without your springs in mate? :) Volume etc :-X

All the best, Bill.

Steve Lake

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 07:41:11 AM »
good point bill...........fully assembled with just the top nuts removed (I was told doing it this way catered for any spring, the assumption being that, assuming you fitted say progressive springs, their volume is greater, but using the 120mm method your oil level would be constant)
SteveL

themoudie

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 10:45:27 PM »
Ta SteveL,

Just north of Stamford, Monday last week and then on down to Marlow, digging holes for work. Fled north again on Thursday. In the bottom end of the Wolds was bearable, but Marlow ???, large cars, traffic noise, Heathrow flight path, £90-00 a night B&B :o  I jest not :o.

Still quiet in your neck of the woods? Snetts and Cadwell this year?

Keep boppin', Bill.

Steve Lake

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 12:22:52 AM »
Aye Bill......hope to do a few trackdays at snetterton and probably 'classic bike' one at cadwell....hope to catch up with Andy and watch the new racer in action, all this is 'funds permitting', things a bit tight at present....hope to go to the ACE cafe on feb the 15th....singles day

steve