Author Topic: XBR500Sj - any model specific problems with these bikes?  (Read 574 times)

crackedhead

XBR500Sj - any model specific problems with these bikes?
« on: May 24, 2008, 07:08:26 PM »
Hi,

As well as my old XBR500G, I'm maybe going to buy and SJ model that has been done up ....frame power coated, engine rebuild, new chain / sprocket, etc. What I'd like to ask is if there are any problems that I should look out for, that are specific to this model (with wire wheels) ?

Any other advice / information would be appreciated ... does the SJ suffer from the cylinder head cracking, is the starter motor as fragile as the older models?

Cheers,
Tony

guest18

Re: XBR500Sj - any model specific problems with these bikes?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 07:27:10 PM »
Cylinder head is the same afaik, I find if it has sat for a while it seems to have no compression but will eventually fire up ok (auto decompressor?)
The rear drum on the wire wheel version is as prone to going oval as the cast ones, and there's next to no material to skim (hence mine having cast wheels on  :( )
Other than that much of a muchness I think, don't know about the starters, mine will still crank over but I normally kick it as it's so easy.

themoudie

Re: XBR500Sj - any model specific problems with these bikes?
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 09:53:40 PM »
If your going for that one being sold by Tony in York, you should be OK, he is 'known' affectionately and it could be one of a brace I found for him in Aberdeen some while ago! ;)

Regards, Bill.