Author Topic: SRX 600 rear swap to monoshock  (Read 2215 times)

kabeer

SRX 600 rear swap to monoshock
« on: March 11, 2008, 09:50:08 AM »
Hi to all,
Newbee to Thumpers,
 I've an SRX 600 with stock rear-end and planning to swap to a MONO swing arm, but need to know the pros & cons. If anyone went thru this mod, please let me know the swing arm and list of parts required (from which appropriate bike ?), would appriciate for any help.
Thanx

NB: I just fitted IRC 130-90 rear and 110-90 front tyres. front mudguard and brace removed as the new tyre rubbing the fork-brace
kabeer
kuwait

Steve Lake

• Dyslexics have more nuf
Re: SRX 600 rear swap to monoshock
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 08:15:55 PM »
You have a fork brace!??
Or do you refer to the soggy bit of ally that passes for a mudguard mounting bracket?

What made you go for those tyre sizes?

best bet is to get a later SRX monoshock chassis (or rear end) pretty much a straight swop...or are you looking to drop down to 17 inch wheels?

kabeer

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 07:16:29 AM »
Hi Steve,
Thanx  4ur  quick respose.
first of all some tech. correction.. :'(
1. the part removed out of the fork is, as you said "mudguard mounting bracket", which i'll b fixing it back after some grinding and chopping the both sides of the mudguard
2. reason to go for a fat tyre : I have no other choice, :( this is the only 18" STREET tyre available in Kuwait, bear in mind that this s the ONLY sole surviving 'SRX' in Q8 (according to the Yam dealer in Q8). :o

To get the latest chassis: i've only option in frond of me is ebay.UK..where i used to order..
i had a problem with my chock cable-end. Replaced with yam R6 parts tapped with new thread on the carb. Also i'm using a Yam Raptor 660 chain and spocket, it's a bit heavier than sstock SRX. and swing-arm extended to 2 inch. stock exhoust replaced (cat bypassed) with a aluminum canister from Raptor. it sonuds really good.
i'll post the pics from home.

taken before fitting the pipes. note the extended swing-arm
cheers.. :)     
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 07:32:35 PM by kabeer »

Steve Lake

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 12:01:25 AM »
ye gods!

kabeer

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 06:04:34 PM »
a '94 FZR 3HE swingarm.. will this fit into SRX ???
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 06:07:04 PM by kabeer »

Steve H

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 06:35:33 PM »
a '94 FZR 3HE swingarm.. will this fit into SRX ???

It can be made to fit. At a guess the swing-arm pivot will be too wide. You will have to remove the bearings, machine the correct width and refit the bearings. I have known people to grind of the excess, but I wouldnt recommend it !
You'll also have to either weld on shock mounts to the swingingarm or fabricate brackets to mount the monoshock linkage onto the frame. The airbox will probabaly be in the way as well.

kabeer

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2008, 04:24:09 PM »
i got some info about the subject and posting here for general intrest, but in Japasese....anyone can translate....plz..
Here's a pic of the instructions for fitting an FZR swingarm to an SR500. It recommends the use of SRX spindles and bearings. From this I would guess that the SRX may be the right shape to receive the FZR parts.

themoudie

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2008, 11:16:42 PM »
Aye Kabeer,

If you copy the characters and put them into this: http://www.google.co.uk/language_tools?hl=en then use the Japanese to English translate selection, you should be able to make some headway.

The main problem will be copying and pasting the characters from the image into the translator.

My regards, Bill.

kabeer

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 06:20:41 PM »
Just changed the tyres today. IRC 130-90 and 110-90

and fitted Raptor 660 carbs...not yet started

front mudguard after the mods to fit 110-90 tyre

Some more works to be done this week-end, i'll update pic by pic...

Raptor chain & spocket, note the stock SRX spocket lying inside....

Steve Lake

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2008, 09:28:54 PM »
My God......that swingarm is something else......why the huge rear sprocket? and why is it fitted with the original still in situ? it will give you an offset chain line and accelerate chain wear....and with regard to the size....looks like you will have very low gearing....too low  i should think....zero to 60 should be eye watering!

kabeer

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2008, 08:46:28 AM »
I changed the primary spoket too(post the pics later), it is in-line with the rear and went for a short-spin, I don’t feel much difference, but feel more grunt on the 1st and wheel spins with the bald tyre... My exhaust was rattling badly at that time, so bring it back to the garage. Not been taken out after fitting the new tyres and carb,

If I don’t go thru the FZR swap, I’ll be planning to drop the rear a few millis..below the stock 300mmAny replacement SHOCKS to match SRX ????? ???

comments pleeez

Steve Lake

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2008, 12:43:16 PM »
look on ebay for shocks.....i got a lovely pair of Koni's
also you can get new hagons try http://www.bike-revival.co.uk/exp.html

I have to say....without being rude....I would ride that bike down my drive! let alone on the road....good luck!

kabeer

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2008, 03:38:42 PM »
some stainless steel added to the aluminum raptor exhoust, with a combination of R6, BMW E30 rear-end and pipe and a pee-shooter rear box.

Now need to TIG and make a decent clamp to hold it !!!

kabeer

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2008, 05:50:46 AM »
i got a lovely pair of Koni's

Hi Steve, sorry to bugg you.
Do you still have these with you ? what's the shock lenth ? and how much you quote ? if possible pic pleez..

cheers 8)