Author Topic: Petrol?  (Read 555 times)

andy230

Petrol?
« on: September 22, 2006, 09:10:45 AM »
Maybe this is one for the technical section...

Nursing the post-birthday hangover I planned on a little recreational fettling on the Skorp on my day off yesterday.

It hasn’t run for a couple of months.  After a few cranks on the button I changed the plug and drained the float bowl.  The petrol looked a deeply-suspect pissy-yellow

I then flattened the battery trying to get it to run

I then dropped the bugger in the street trying to bump it.  I am SORE today!

(must have been funny tho- I’m used to the racer, with pegs further back, and a much lower seat.  Running -as hard as I can down a gentle incline- I make the leap.  My foot catches the silly big dualseat.  I stumble, turn my ankle, but keep holding the bars.  One of the adjustable skorp bars then adjusts itself to a jaunty angle.  I am by now sliding on my knees –YOOOWWW!!- holding both bars before coming to rest on the bumper of a wee new shiny car with the bike on top of me.  Fantastic!!)

I picked myself up, cursed and charged the battery.  It started first time.  Lesson learned!

Anyway, to my point.  It runs like a pig.  Feels like an air leak, banging and popping.  A quick check (it was getting dark) revealed nothing.  Will check again tonight.

BUT!  (jethro) would old dodgy petrol cause these symptoms?  Or would it just run rough, rather than this characteristic backfires and rough running?  Its slightly better with the choke, and again if you turn the “loud handle” enthusiastically. It was lovely round cadwell, but I suppose somethough could be shaking loose?

Advice on old petrol appreciated.  Cheers,

andy

Steve H

Re: Petrol?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2006, 09:58:48 AM »
I always had to drain the SZR float bowl it it had been standing more than a couple of weeks. This was a tank of job so a pain in the backside.
SRX always starts easier if float bowl drained

squirrelciv

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2006, 11:57:31 AM »
Can't help you I'm afraid matey, but thanks for the story. I haven't laughed so much in ages :-)

Sorry, I'll get my coat.
Live long, live well, live happy

themoudie

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2006, 09:28:42 PM »
Aye Andy,

Horizontal flying alongside the bike now eh! Wall of death next?

Reads as though the crap has settled out in the carb and maybe partially blocking a jet or preventing a float needle from seating. Sounds like a carb strip, remove all rubber bits then soak the remainder in carb cleaner for 48 - 72 hours to remove scale etc. Remove all loosened scale and use toothbrush bristles in jet holes before re-assembly and putting back on the bike.

Empty tank contents into tank for parts cleaning or running the Briggs and Stratton on! Refill wi' fresh stuff and after charging battery, give it another whirl. I'll keep a few things crossed for you!

Memorial run for a mate tomorrow, up the Carron Valley, Dukes Pass and Carse of Stirling, with lunch at the Brig O' Turk tearoom and high tea and a pint at the Carron Hotel. I'll raise my glass to him and you.

Cheers, Bill

guest18

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2006, 10:21:30 AM »
I normally cheat and tip the Mastiff over on it's side until the float overflow empties some fuel onto the floor, after that it seems to start ok. Otherwise she's a pig to start if she's been left for a week or two.
My money is on c**p petrol. Big business strategy, the cheapest lowest quality product sold for the highest price.....

• Stalwart(TM)
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2006, 04:24:26 PM »
Get it started,warm it up and try and take it for a spin.
Put some fresh in the tank.
If only stood for a short while it will only be stale shitty old fuel.
Might be some muck but as I said try some fresh and a spin and see what happens.

Shall we call you Doogie Bardder(SPELLING) from now on !  LOL

Jethro
Cooey
Martini-Greener GP
Lee Enfield
ELG